Archer: Tony Romo not yet on IR as Cowboys leave door open for playoff return

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tony Romo not yet on IR as Cowboys leave door open for playoff return

52m

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- While the Dallas Cowboys have said Tony Romo's season is over, they have yet to formally end it.

Why?

There is still hope, as faint as it may be.

"We're competitors," executive vice president Stephen Jones told ESPN.

Jones put the quarterback's recovery time from his recent left collarbone fracture at six to eight weeks, which could have him back for a possible wild-card game or a conference championship game.

A CT scan last Friday showed Romo suffered a hairline fracture in the healed portion of the distal fracture he suffered earlier in the season.

"It's seven or eight fractures versus one," Jones said, referring to the initial break in Week 2. "Is that a difference? Some say no and some say yes, to be honest with you. And I'm not a doctor."

The Cowboys don't necessarily need Romo's roster spot at the moment to add Kellen Moore to the active roster as Matt Cassel's backup for the stretch run. They released running back Trey Williams on Monday and rookie defensive end Ryan Russell has missed the last few weeks with an abdomen strain that could land him on injured reserve.

One of those spots is likely for rookie offensive tackle Chaz Green, who has spent the season on the physically unable to perform list. The other would be for Moore.

Depending on how the Cowboys fare on Monday against the Washington Redskins could make the decision easier. A loss would not eliminate the Cowboys officially but would for all practical purposes keep them out of the postseason. A win would keep them in the race for at least another week.

Romo missed eight weeks (seven games) on the injured reserve/designated to return list after breaking his collarbone Sept. 20 against the Philadelphia Eagles. Upon his return, he noted the chance of re-breaking the collarbone was high, and it came to fruition in the third quarter of the Thanksgiving Day loss to the Carolina Panthers.

The risk of breaking the bone for a third time in a season would be at least as high if he were able to return.

At 3-8, the Cowboys are tied for the worst record in the NFC, but if they beat Washington and the New York Giants lose to the New York Jets, they would be only a game out of first place with four games to go.

The decision to delay what seems inevitable regarding Romo is not without precedent. In 2010, when Romo suffered a broken left collarbone in a Week 7 loss to the Giants, the Cowboys did not put him on injured reserve until Dec. 22 with two games to play and a 5-9 record.
-------------

:lol

Jesus Christ.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
:doh

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You almost can't make this shit up.

And it ain't just Jerry.

Here is Goof Son trying to tell people how it makes sense.

p1_

DCC 4Life
You almost can't make this shit up.

And it ain't just Jerry.

Here is Goof Son trying to tell people how it makes sense.
I want some of what he's smoking.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't see the harm in this move unless there is someone else that needs to be brought in for Romo s slot. I don't have the hopes they do but it's not like it matters at this point.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I don't see the harm in this move unless there is someone else that needs to be brought in for Romo s slot. I don't have the hopes they do but it's not like it matters at this point.
what are you talking about?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
what are you talking about?
I'm saying I don't know what the harm is for keeping Romo on the roster. The organization is doing this as I understand it thinking he might be able to play if the make the playoffs. I don't share their optimism but it won't do any harm.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
:picard

'Hey, we're competitors and we are still in this thing!". :dunce

Never mind the fact that this team was 0-7 with backup QBs, consistently finding ways to lose. Even if by some absolute miracle they find a way into the playoffs what makes them think Romo, who would have missed 13 of the 16 regular season games at that point, would be worth a shit against the best teams in the NFC?

It just comes off as really pathetic, IMO.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm saying I don't know what the harm is for keeping Romo on the roster. The organization is doing this as I understand it thinking he might be able to play if the make the playoffs. I don't share their optimism but it won't do any harm.
Go to dallascowboys.Com right now.

Click on Shopping.

Buy most recent t-shirt.

Welcome to the machine.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Go to dallascowboys.Com right now.

Click on Shopping.

Buy most recent t-shirt.

Welcome to the machine.
It's just not abig deal to me. The management is always making strange decisions and this is just one more. It's not like it hurts anything. I just indulge them in their fantasy world.

p1_

DCC 4Life
the idea that we make the playoffs is absurd, and that Romo would be able to play is moreso.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Exactly. We went 0-7 without Romo the first time. Yet somehow we're going 4-1 or 5-0 this time?

I mean, if they want to keep Romo on the roster just in case that's fine. WGAS. That roster spot he's taking up shouldn't make a difference at this point.

Say "we're still evaluating the injury," or "we're still deciding how to handle the roster spot," or "we're just going to carry 3 QBs for now."

But don't try and sell it like, "hey we are competitors and we're still in it!" Not only is it naive and insulting at this point, it's exactly the cart-before-the-horse kind of thinking that perpetuates this team's lack of intensity and preparation in the first place.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
the idea that we make the playoffs is absurd, and that Romo would be able to play is moreso.
I agree it's absurd but I also think it not a big deal.

dallen

Senior Tech
There's no reason to IR him yet. There is also no reason to make yourself look like a doofus and go around talking about making the playoffs when we have the 3rd worst record in the league

dallen

Senior Tech
Exactly. We went 0-7 without Romo the first time. Yet somehow we're going 4-1 or 5-0 this time?

I mean, if they want to keep Romo on the roster just in case that's fine. WGAS. That roster spot he's taking up shouldn't make a difference at this point.

Say "we're still evaluating the injury," or "we're still deciding how to handle the roster spot," or "we're just going to carry 3 QBs for now."

But don't try and sell it like, "hey we are competitors and we're still in it!" Not only is it naive and insulting at this point, it's exactly the cart-before-the-horse kind of thinking that perpetuates this team's lack of intensity and preparation in the first place.
Exactly

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well if they sweep Washington, they probably will go 3-2 which makes them 6-10 and 4-2 in the division. If the bottom falls out in NY (1-4), that still leaves Dallas with a tie breaker.

Not likely, but then no one could have predicted the team or division would be anything close to this bad in the first place.

It's possible in that scenario Tony Romo is starting a home playoff game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

DLK150

DCC 4Life
There's a part of me that thinks this is stupid because at no time in the last 5, 6 years have I been less confident in this team's ability to come through in the clutch in a best case scenario. Conversely, at this point, WTH does the roster spot matter? If he were IRed, who do we sign and for what reason, to take his place? We've signed RBs that sat for a month or longer before seeing any action. We signed a WR who saw brief action but has been inactive for weeks. At this point, roster churning is silly at best. Even if by some intricate aligning of particular stars and planets we were to make the playoffs, who really thinks we would go any further than we have in the last twenty years with this team when there have only been two, maybe three years where at least IMO, we had a decent shot to go the distance?

Keep him on the roster and let him stand on the sideline slapping random players on the butt and saying "Helluva job!" on the occasions when someone makes a play.

/Not an optimist, generally a realist, full blown pessimist at the moment.

Top Bottom