Time for Tony Romo's successor? The top 5 quarterbacks in next year's draft

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The time should be now, but you know this organization will blow an entire season on "maybe shit will get better on its own if we don't do anything to try and fix it".
They will try to fix it, somehow. I just doubt it is the draft unless they have a pick in the top 2-3. Then you get Griffin and like it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't fault you for whoring Wentz. I would take him all day everyday over guys like Cardale Jones and Hackenberg and he's not going to be a first round guy.

I have only watched him a little, and from what I see, he appears to be what you would take in our circumstances. He needs to sit a year or two, but is used to winning. Above everything else, I don't see a bunch of physical or mechanical problems that need to be corrected. It is not like he has a bad throwing motion or poor footwork that our inept QB coach would have to work on.

I just wish there was a game or two against a higher level of competition to see what he's really capable of.
I think he had a chance to sneak into the bottom of the first, but once he broke his wrist (non throwing hand), it put him into the 2nd. Maybe even the 3rd.

The talk around here is that he'll be able to participate in the off season stuff, so we'll be able to get a small feel for what he can do against better competition. I'd love for him to get time in the senior bowl. If he performs well there, I think it will keep him in the 2nd.

I think he compares to somebody like Aaron Rodgers. Not saying he'll ever be that good, but their games are similar. Wentz moves well, has a strong arm, and can throw well on the run. He also can stand tall in the pocket and make the throws. And if need be, he'll take off and run. I like the fact that his game isn't centered around running, while throwing the ball as an after thought. NDSU runs a pro style offense, and Wentz takes snaps out of both the shotgun and under center.

The only thing that scares me about bringing him to Dallas would be the coaching he'd receive. Yeah, he'd be in a good situation being able to sit behind Romo for a year or so, but would he get any decent coaching besides what he learns from Romo?

I know it's just a pipe dream, but I'd probably start a friction fire in my pants if we could jettison Garrett and crew while bringing in Sean Payton. Then draft Wentz...? ~reaches for lotion~

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think he had a chance to sneak into the bottom of the first, but once he broke his wrist (non throwing hand), it put him into the 2nd. Maybe even the 3rd.

The talk around here is that he'll be able to participate in the off season stuff, so we'll be able to get a small feel for what he can do against better competition. I'd love for him to get time in the senior bowl. If he performs well there, I think it will keep him in the 2nd.
He will probably be able to play in the Senior Bowl if what I have read is true. Even if so, he'd have to have a monster game in there to be a threat in the first round. I think a lot of scouts will take a look at his competition level and downgrade him. Flacco was a similar prospect from Maine, but he also transferred from a big school.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He will probably be able to play in the Senior Bowl if what I have read is true. Even if so, he'd have to have a monster game in there to be a threat in the first round. I think a lot of scouts will take a look at his competition level and downgrade him. Flacco was a similar prospect from Maine, but he also transferred from a big school.
Phillip Rivers is the last guy I remember really skyrocketing because of the Senior Bowl. I like Wentz and would put nothing past him with a great Senior Bowl. NFL teams are so QB hungry and a great Senior Bowl week will show some that he can at least hang with the college football elite.

Paxton Lynch right now should be near the top of our board. He would be tremendous to develop behind Romo for a year and a physical talent who could come in and probably win a couple games as a rookie if needed. Of course the important thing is to bring in a coaching staff that is capable of designing an offense around the skills and talents of the players as opposed to just trying to force the players into his system. Every time I see a shitty short pass to Witten I'm reminded of how little attention we pay to the specific skill set of our players.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both Christian Ponder and E.J. Manuel parlayed MVPs in the game to be first rounders.
I'm still not sure how though. They both looked like turds the entire time to me. Some QBs you can just see as busts from a mile away and those two fit the bill. I have no idea how an NFL GM can convince himself that guys like that are first round prospects.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Guys like Ponder, Manuel, Manziel, Sanchez, Russell, Leinert, and Kyle Boller are why I don't want to just take a 1st round QB just for the sake of taking one. If we are top ten we can really take a huge step forward pretty quickly with blue chip talent. I'd hate to waste that unless the QB is a blue chipper. It sounds like the QBs this year have a lot of question marks though.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Guys like Ponder, Manuel, Manziel, Sanchez, Russell, Leinert, and Kyle Boller are why I don't want to just take a 1st round QB just for the sake of taking one. If we are top ten we can really take a huge step forward pretty quickly with blue chip talent. I'd hate to waste that unless the QB is a blue chipper. It sounds like the QBs this year have a lot of question marks though.
Here's the thing, if there was a Marcell Dareus, Leonard Williams of even Amari Cooper in this draft, I'd be all for it. The only position player who will be that caliber of a prospect is Bosa, aside from him who is there?

Tunsil or Stanley? Are we really going RT with a top 5 pick?

A non pass rushing LB in Smith or Jack (who is coming off an injury)? I do very much like then both as prospects but in the top 5?

A DB in Ramsey or Hargreaves?

I like DeForest Buckner alot but I don't know that he's that caliber of prospect either.

Lynch and Goff aren't Luck caliber but I think they're good enough prospects to gamble on in an otherwise underwhelming top 5-10. Even if there is a higher chance they bust than a guy like Smith, the impact of hitting on a franchise QB is worth the risk when the alternative is a non pass rushing LB or some such.

D

Deuce

If the plan is to get Cook or Wentz with the 2nd pick, I would rather trade into the late 1st to get them. Having that extra year on the initial contract is worth having when you plan to sit the player a year.

D

Deuce

Here's the thing, if there was a Marcell Dareus, Leonard Williams of even Amari Cooper in this draft, I'd be all for it. The only position player who will be that caliber of a prospect is Bosa, aside from him who is there?

A non pass rushing LB in Smith or Jack (who is coming off an injury)? I do very much like then both as prospects but in the top 5?

I like DeForest Buckner alot but I don't know that he's that caliber of prospect either.

Lynch and Goff aren't Luck caliber but I think they're good enough prospects to gamble on in an otherwise underwhelming top 5-10. Even if there is a higher chance they bust than a guy like Smith, the impact of hitting on a franchise QB is worth the risk when the alternative is a non pass rushing LB or some such.
Robert Nkemdiche?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'd go Treadwell I think.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Nice to have the Penn St/Michigan State game on, able to scout two of these boys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
His production is not impressive enough to me to warrant taking him with a top 3 pick, especially if he doesn't run a sub 4.5.
Yeah I see him as more of a 5-10 type pick. If we miss out on a top QB I move down into that area and take Treadwell. His stats are pretty good but I don't know if he is elite type talent either. Then I turnaround and take a QB next. Gives you a great foundation for a young QB to succeed.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
None of these guys will do. We can't draft a QB unless they have a two syllable last name. Single or multi-syllable QBs rarely win Super Bowls. I give you Brady, Wilson, Mannings, Aikman, Staubach, Bradshaw, Plunkett, Elway, Flacco. Rodgers, Stabler etc. Far more than the others. I can only come up with 5 or six QBs with names with one syllable or 3. So history says they have to have a two syllable last name.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
None of these guys will do. We can't draft a QB unless they have a two syllable last name. Single or multi-syllable QBs rarely win Super Bowls. I give you Brady, Wilson, Mannings, Aikman, Staubach, Bradshaw, Plunkett, Elway, Flacco. Rodgers, Stabler etc. Far more than the others. I can only come up with 5 or six QBs with names with one syllable or 3. So history says they have to have a two syllable last name.

townsend

Banned
So they probably need to be white too then.:unsure

Carp

DCC 4Life
I really like Hogan...he could go in the 2nd...or possibly rise in the off-season.

Top Bottom