Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Frederick moves people better than Step.
Step was a master technician which is why he was the 2nd best center of the decade behind Dermontti Dawson.

Frederick was great last year but it's been one year, let's see how it goes.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Frederick also has problems with quick guys who play over his nose.

They both have their weaknesses.
I will go with Frederick when it comes to combination blocking for running and passing. Romo was pretty protected last season from a rush coming up the middle.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Kinda wish Hardy hadn't engaged. But I guess it's nice he's all filled with team pride.
I thought it was awesome that he did. We need some attitude like that. Combine him with McClain and this defense is going to play nasty. I love it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought it was awesome that he did. We need some attitude like that. Combine him with McClain and this defense is going to play nasty. I love it.
Screw it, I'm a big Hardy fan. I think it's great.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Too early to say that.
Not at all. Watched both play and it's rare to see centers who can move and also anchor like a guard the way Fred does. Stepnoski held his own, but was too small to generate push. Fortunately with the rest of the line playing so well that effort was good enough. Key with Step was he didn't screw up (on the field), but that's what I'd expect from any pro.

As for all-decade teams... they are voted on by the media who know jack crap about OL in general, especially in the 80's and 90's. How else do you explain Ronny Lott's presence on the all-decade team of the 90's? Ray Donaldson in the half-year he played in 1995 was far better than anything I ever saw from Stepnoski.

Most notably there was zero dropoff on the Cowboys in his absence. For example, Emmitt Smith won the Superbowl MVP with Frank Cornish at center. Utterly no difference. Hence the Cowboys let him walk in FA.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's odd, I wonder how Dermontti Dawson got on the all decade team. Must have been hype too.

No offense but aren't you the guy who has told us at one time or another that Newton, Tuinei and Gesek were overrated too? And now Stepnoski was overrated.

Gee, so the whole line was just feeding off Erik Williams I guess.

GTFO.

Stepnoski was a great center, as evidenced by the fact that he continued to dominate after he got away from Dallas and the hype machine and whatever benefits there were from playing with Emmitt Smith.

You lose all credibility on this matter by saying all he did was "not screw up which is what you'd expect from any pro."

Donaldson was a pro bowl center as well so acting like it was plug and play with any old veteran when Step left is incorrect.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
That's odd, I wonder how Dermontti Dawson got on the all decade team. Must have been hype too.

No offense but aren't you the guy who has told us at one time or another that Newton, Tuinei and Gesek were overrated too? And now Stepnoski was overrated.

Gee, so the whole line was just feeding off Erik Williams I guess.

GTFO.

Stepnoski was a great center, as evidenced by the fact that he continued to dominate after he got away from Dallas and the hype machine and whatever benefits there were from playing with Emmitt Smith.

You lose all credibility on this matter by saying all he did was "not screw up which is what you'd expect from any pro."

Donaldson was a pro bowl center as well so acting like it was plug and play with any old veteran when Step left is incorrect.
:lol nice.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Still think Fred might be the most underrated player on the entire team. Dude is awesome and an absolutely crucial piece to our success.

Cotton

Staff member
Still think Fred might be the most underrated player on the entire team. Dude is awesome and an absolutely crucial piece to our success.
And, he is a little bit crazy, which only helps him as a lineman.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And, he is a little bit crazy, which only helps him as a lineman.
Yeah, he's mean enough. And he's extremely smart and very strong. Heard Tyron on the radio yesterday he said he (Tyron) might have the best upper body strength, but Fred can do lower body lifts that no one else on the team can do.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I like him a lot. I just don't know why he isn't getting the same kind of pub that a similar impact center like Mangold got his first couple of years.

You still read people writing that guys like Jason Kelce are better.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I don't want people to think I'm selling Frederick short. He is right up there as one of the best centers in football right now.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I like him a lot. I just don't know why he isn't getting the same kind of pub that a similar impact center like Mangold got his first couple of years.

You still read people writing that guys like Jason Kelce are better.
I really think part of it is Martin getting so much press. Not sure I remember a rookie guard getting more pub than he did last year.

Cotton

Staff member
I really think part of it is Martin getting so much press. Not sure I remember a rookie guard getting more pub than he did last year.
And, it was well deserved, but Fred deserves just as much.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And I think a lot of the pub was due to Fredbeard. I like Martin a lot too, but he had his rough spots. I honestly can't recall Frederick getting totally chewed up by anyone.

Martin will get there though. The guy he needs to aspire to be is Yanda with the Ravens. That guy is dominant even with a shitty center.

Carl

RIP Brother
Yeah, he's mean enough. And he's extremely smart and very strong. Heard Tyron on the radio yesterday he said he (Tyron) might have the best upper body strength, but Fred can do lower body lifts that no one else on the team can do.
Not so sure. I think I need to wait on my primer before deciding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom