2015 NFL Draft Chatter Thread 4/30-5/2

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So wait we did or didn't draft for need. If RB is our biggest need and we were drafting for need, wouldn't we have taken a RB?:shrug
I guess his point is that the team brain trust thought that swing tackle was a bigger need than starting RB, but I don't buy that.

I think they are betting they got their Doug Free replacement, which if it is, that logic is A-ok.

townsend

Banned
If Jay makes it to our next pick and we take him, I'd consider it a win. Also I hope the Cowboys were hoping for Carl Davis and had to scramble when Baltimore took him.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Anthony Hitchens. But yeah name guys that came before our current scouting department was in place. Every OT according to the consensus has gone higher then they should have in this draft. Ever wonder if maybe the media consensus is just wrong?
Hitchens is the only mid round reach we hit on in nearly 20 years. I guess we better hope Green make 2.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If Jay makes it to our next pick and we take him, I'd consider it a win. Also I hope the Cowboys were hoping for Carl Davis and had to scramble when Baltimore took him.
I bet it was. We took up almost all 7 minutes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Green will eventually become our starting RT in 2-3 years, I still would've went Ajayi though, unless he's off the board due to the injury. If we had gotten Green in the 5th or something I'd have been very happy, but I don't really like taking him at this spot with a potential starter in Ajayi still sitting there.

We are def going Buck Allen in the 4th though.
I think Ajayi is still probably on our board but I think he has been knocked down rounds based on the knee risk. Sort of like Leary. We still wanted him but a guy who had a fourth round grade got knocked down to an undrafted player for us. I'm guessing Ajayi is in a similar situation.

Unfortunately Buck Allen and Karlos Williams are probably our top targets at RB now. I don't like either much at all.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd love Grady Jarrett in the 4th. Not sexy but he's an instant solid player at NT for us. Probably not Marinelli's type though.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
If they had to scrambled they have no idea what they are doing & I don't think that is the case.

I'd be all for trading up for Ajayi now but there is clearly truth to the knee problem talk, IMO. That & I am much more concerned about the RB position than they seem to be.

They brought Buck Allen in for a visit so I'm guessing they take him if he is there in the 4th or 5th. Is he any better than Randle though? If not the. What is the point?

I would still take Ajayi, as long as he can be good for this year..then draft a stud running back next year that has no injury concerns. Or trade for AP, I don't care but they can't rely on what they have now. How they don't look at the success from last year and get it I don't know...

dallen

Senior Tech
Sounds like Leary

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hitchens is the only mid round reach we hit on in nearly 20 years. I guess we better hope Green make 2.
The draft is jam packed with guys that we think are reaches because the media has conditioned us to believe that a certain round is where a guy should go. Those projections are often wrong. People don't seem to understand that what one team looks at as an UDFA another team may easily have a 3rd round grade on. Depending on which one of those teams Kiper talked to he may project the guy as a third rounder or as an UDFA. If you think Kiper or any of the other media guys watch that much film you're kidding yourself.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Pick Analysis: "This is an interesting pick. He played right tackle. When I scouted D.J. Humphries, the more I watched and appreciated Chaz Green. He has a chance to start on the right side." -- Mike Mayock
Not everyone hates this pick.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Was Green a visitor?
Yep. We basically only draft those who visited regardless of round. It's the same mindset that led to Arkin, AOA, Matt Johnson, Brewster, Webb, Stanback, Skylar.

We apparently have so few on our board that in order to make sure we land them it may mean reaching up to 2 rounds. Insane really.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They brought Buck Allen in for a visit so I'm guessing they take him if he is there in the 4th or 5th. Is he any better than Randle though? If not the. What is the point?
I don't like Buck Allen but he has some workhorse type abilities that would at least make him a nice pairing with a guy like Randle. If your looking at a RB by committee I don't see the problem with attempting to make some of that committee better. Right now Randle looks like the best RB on the roster. The question is can Allen be better then any of the RBs who are going to make our roster right now and I'd say he is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. We basically only draft those who visited regardless of round. It's the same mindset that led to Arkin, AOA, Matt Johnson, Brewster, Webb, Stanback, Skylar.
Small school, Small School, Small School, Small School, Small School and special teamer. I feel a hell of a lot better taking an athletic big player from a major school.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Hopefully when we pick in the 4th there is someone available that visited Valley Ranch projected to go near our slot. Gotta love how we limit our entire draft to about 30-40 visitors.

Top Bottom