DallasCowboys.Com Staff Makes Third And Final Attempt At Seven-Round Mock

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
FWIW this is the last dallascowboys.com staff mock draft. I don't know how accurate these have generally been in the past. Like most mock drafts, I suspect there do not turn out to be very accurate at all. It does seem like there are always a few mid/late round guys from this last minute staff mock that end up on the team though, but I could be wrong.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:12 PM CDT
By DallasCowboys.com Report

IRVING, Texas – Draft day has finally arrived, and there’s not much else to do except wait for the 2015 NFL Draft to begin.

The staff of DallasCowboys.com has been breaking down this year’s crop of talent since January – traveling to the Senior Bowl, the NFL Combine and various college pro days in the process. The culmination of that is one last guess at predicting the Cowboys’ 2015 draft class.

Here’s the third and final seven-round mock draft from the staff:

Bryan Broaddus: There are too many people that believe that Randy Gregory is going to slide down the board and potentially slide right out of the round. This is a talented football player that has top-10 talent, but the off-the-field questions and thoughts are hurting him right now. I wrote for DallasCowboys.com on Wednesday that the Cowboys do a great job of getting to the bottom of these questionable character players, and there is no doubt in my mind that they know Gregory’s full story. There is a good chance that he might be gone before they select, but if he is there I believe they would hand that card in. Demarious Randall might not last too far into the second round, but if he does, he offers the Cowboys a solid coverage safety. The odds are good that they would have to make a trade to get Randall, and that’s something that wouldn’t surprise me. There are two outstanding “short” running backs in this draft – Duke Johnson and Ameer Abdullah. Teams tend to shy away from running backs that lack height, but not Jerry Jones. One of his greatest selections as general manager was a short running back out of Florida named Emmitt Smith. As others pass, Jones sits and selects Abdullah. Chaz Green has played both left and right tackle in the SEC and done a nice job at it. Leterrius Walton could be selected before this pick but if there, he is a no-brainer. Big man that is very active. Adam Shead is what Jerry Jones likes inside -- big and powerful. It is unlikely that Lucky Whitehead will help you as a receiver, but when you talk about one of the best return men in the country – he will get your attention. Big play return man.

Dane Brugler: Offensive line in the first round? Again? Picking late in the first round at No. 27, there is a good chance the Cowboys first-round options could be wiped out. A trade up/down is very, very possible. But assuming Dallas stays put, Texas A&M Cedric Ogbuehi makes some sense. He is a top-10 talent who is available late because of an ACL injury in the bowl game. Ogbuehi can help at guard or tackle midway through the 2015 season and becomes the long-term answer at right tackle. Second round remains the sweet spot for the running back position and although it's not a must to get a guy that early, it's likely, especially if Duke Johnson is available. After not addressing the cornerback position in the first two rounds, Josh Shaw will be tough to pass on in the third round if he makes it through the first 90 picks.

David Helman: When it comes down to it, I’m not sure the Cowboys are going to pick tonight. I think the guys they really covet – Todd Gurley, Kevin Johnson and Byron Jones – will be gone long before No. 27. In an ideal scenario, they trade back into the early second round and secure more picks. If they can’t find a willing trade partner, it’s not far-fetched that Melvin Gordon could slip past the likes of San Diego, Detroit and Arizona. The second-best running back in this class is not a bad consolation prize, and you firm up the position for five more years. P.J. Williams just had his DUI charges dropped, so I feel far more confident taking him in the second round – and he should be able to play right away. Trey Flowers is far from the flashiest pass rusher in this draft, but he could join the rotation and play left end – which is a spot the Cowboys are lacking in depth. Assuming he lasts into the fourth, Chaz Green helps address the depth problems at offensive tackle, while Rakeem Nunez-Roches brings some big-time bulk to the interior of the defensive line. Dallas still needs a replacement for Dwayne Harris, and George Farmer is a guy who could fill that role on the final day, while Chuka Ndulue is a local guy who’s worth a look.

Nick Eatman: The Cowboys will want one of those top two backs, and if Melvin Gordon isn’t available, then it will fall to the corners. I don’t think either Kevin Johnson or Byron Jones will be around, so then the Cowboys start to move. If they can find a partner to slide down a few picks, I think they end up with Thompson, a hard-hitting linebacker who immediately upgrades the position. Darby addresses the cornerback needs and Clark is a relentless rusher who could thrive in Marinelli’s scheme. Johnson wouldn’t be the Cowboys’ top choice but he’s a big back with speed. I think Drummond and Nelson have some traits that would be draftable in the last round.

Rob Phillips: It’s very difficult to gauge who’s in the 27 range, which to me makes the Cowboys a trade-down candidate, but Jones makes a ton of sense with his versatility (potential corner or safety), world-class athleticism and high character. Alabama running backs seem to get a bad rap, but has anyone watched Eddie Lacy the last couple years? Yeldon has potential as a three-down back. Gabe Wright has tools to be a disruptive player from the defensive tackle spot. Za’Darius Smith picked up football late but has real upside as an edge rusher. Andrew Donnal was overshadowed by Brandon Scherff at Iowa, but he’d be a nice developmental pick. In the seventh round, Jake Ryan and DeAndrew White were productive players at major programs.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
FWIW this is the last dallascowboys.com staff mock draft. I don't know how accurate these have generally been in the past. Like most mock drafts, I suspect there do not turn out to be very accurate at all. It does seem like there are always a few mid/late round guys from this last minute staff mock that end up on the team though, but I could be wrong.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:12 PM CDT
By DallasCowboys.com Report

IRVING, Texas – Draft day has finally arrived, and there’s not much else to do except wait for the 2015 NFL Draft to begin.

The staff of DallasCowboys.com has been breaking down this year’s crop of talent since January – traveling to the Senior Bowl, the NFL Combine and various college pro days in the process. The culmination of that is one last guess at predicting the Cowboys’ 2015 draft class.

Here’s the third and final seven-round mock draft from the staff:

Bryan Broaddus: There are too many people that believe that Randy Gregory is going to slide down the board and potentially slide right out of the round. This is a talented football player that has top-10 talent, but the off-the-field questions and thoughts are hurting him right now. I wrote for DallasCowboys.com on Wednesday that the Cowboys do a great job of getting to the bottom of these questionable character players, and there is no doubt in my mind that they know Gregory’s full story. There is a good chance that he might be gone before they select, but if he is there I believe they would hand that card in. Demarious Randall might not last too far into the second round, but if he does, he offers the Cowboys a solid coverage safety. The odds are good that they would have to make a trade to get Randall, and that’s something that wouldn’t surprise me. There are two outstanding “short” running backs in this draft – Duke Johnson and Ameer Abdullah. Teams tend to shy away from running backs that lack height, but not Jerry Jones. One of his greatest selections as general manager was a short running back out of Florida named Emmitt Smith. As others pass, Jones sits and selects Abdullah. Chaz Green has played both left and right tackle in the SEC and done a nice job at it. Leterrius Walton could be selected before this pick but if there, he is a no-brainer. Big man that is very active. Adam Shead is what Jerry Jones likes inside -- big and powerful. It is unlikely that Lucky Whitehead will help you as a receiver, but when you talk about one of the best return men in the country – he will get your attention. Big play return man.

Dane Brugler: Offensive line in the first round? Again? Picking late in the first round at No. 27, there is a good chance the Cowboys first-round options could be wiped out. A trade up/down is very, very possible. But assuming Dallas stays put, Texas A&M Cedric Ogbuehi makes some sense. He is a top-10 talent who is available late because of an ACL injury in the bowl game. Ogbuehi can help at guard or tackle midway through the 2015 season and becomes the long-term answer at right tackle. Second round remains the sweet spot for the running back position and although it's not a must to get a guy that early, it's likely, especially if Duke Johnson is available. After not addressing the cornerback position in the first two rounds, Josh Shaw will be tough to pass on in the third round if he makes it through the first 90 picks.

David Helman: When it comes down to it, I’m not sure the Cowboys are going to pick tonight. I think the guys they really covet – Todd Gurley, Kevin Johnson and Byron Jones – will be gone long before No. 27. In an ideal scenario, they trade back into the early second round and secure more picks. If they can’t find a willing trade partner, it’s not far-fetched that Melvin Gordon could slip past the likes of San Diego, Detroit and Arizona. The second-best running back in this class is not a bad consolation prize, and you firm up the position for five more years. P.J. Williams just had his DUI charges dropped, so I feel far more confident taking him in the second round – and he should be able to play right away. Trey Flowers is far from the flashiest pass rusher in this draft, but he could join the rotation and play left end – which is a spot the Cowboys are lacking in depth. Assuming he lasts into the fourth, Chaz Green helps address the depth problems at offensive tackle, while Rakeem Nunez-Roches brings some big-time bulk to the interior of the defensive line. Dallas still needs a replacement for Dwayne Harris, and George Farmer is a guy who could fill that role on the final day, while Chuka Ndulue is a local guy who’s worth a look.

Nick Eatman: The Cowboys will want one of those top two backs, and if Melvin Gordon isn’t available, then it will fall to the corners. I don’t think either Kevin Johnson or Byron Jones will be around, so then the Cowboys start to move. If they can find a partner to slide down a few picks, I think they end up with Thompson, a hard-hitting linebacker who immediately upgrades the position. Darby addresses the cornerback needs and Clark is a relentless rusher who could thrive in Marinelli’s scheme. Johnson wouldn’t be the Cowboys’ top choice but he’s a big back with speed. I think Drummond and Nelson have some traits that would be draftable in the last round.

Rob Phillips: It’s very difficult to gauge who’s in the 27 range, which to me makes the Cowboys a trade-down candidate, but Jones makes a ton of sense with his versatility (potential corner or safety), world-class athleticism and high character. Alabama running backs seem to get a bad rap, but has anyone watched Eddie Lacy the last couple years? Yeldon has potential as a three-down back. Gabe Wright has tools to be a disruptive player from the defensive tackle spot. Za’Darius Smith picked up football late but has real upside as an edge rusher. Andrew Donnal was overshadowed by Brandon Scherff at Iowa, but he’d be a nice developmental pick. In the seventh round, Jake Ryan and DeAndrew White were productive players at major programs.
I would love Broaddus' haul.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dane Brugler's mock can be used to induce vomiting.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would love Broaddus' haul.
Don't like the Abdullah pick. He can't pass block and fumbles. No wikey.

And what is with this Whitehead kid? Two of them picked him.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'd be ecstatic over Broaddus' draft. Gregory, yeah he fucked up, but a top five talent at 27? And a pass rusher? Lord help me. Then Abdullah in the third. That said, I think both of those players are not available.

Top Bottom