Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It is just our luck.

The one fucking year we get a top five pick, nobody can fucking figure out who the best player(s) are by February and we are left with non-essential positions like LDE, DB and LB with guys in the running.
The exact reason why we should be rolling the dice on a QB there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh man, I'd feel much better about Fowler, Leonard Williams, Beasley and Amari Cooper. Amari Cooper is better clearly than Laquan Treadwell I think.
Eh, Fowler was pretty damn overrated. Obviously he didn't do much as a rookie, but he also didn't do much in college. I wouldn't feel great about him. Beasley just doesn't fit what we do in any way. He would be a waste here and honestly didn't do much as a rookie. Leonard Williams I would have taken though. Granted he didn't light the world on fire with the Jets but he played well for them. He could have played LE or 3 technique in our defense. My only concern with him at LE is I don't think he is a double digit sack guy as a LE. More of a run stuffer. At 3 technique on the other hand he could have been extremely disruptive.

Amari Cooper had a great rookie season. Just a different type of guy then Treadwell though. Treadwell as a prospect is more in line with White, who ran a great forty but had separation question marks as a bigger receiver prior to that. I am interested to see where Cooper's career goes. He had a nice rookie season but he had too many drops. Still going over 1000 yards as a rookie is nothing to laugh at. Hopefully he continues to grow. I'm not a Raiders fan but I would like to see that young team get to the point of challenging for the AFC.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Oh man, I'd feel much better about Fowler, Leonard Williams, Beasley and Amari Cooper. Amari Cooper is better clearly than Laquan Treadwell I think.
I'll give you Williams and Cooper for sure, although I like Bosa and Spence over Fowler and Beasley to be honest. My point is that while last year was better, it's not like it was 2011, and the vast majority of top 5-10 picks between 2012-2015 have been underwhelming.

I mean, the Skins took an OG at 5 last year.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I'll give you Williams and Cooper for sure, although I like Bosa and Spence over Fowler and Beasley to be honest. My point is that while last year was better, it's not like it was 2011, and the vast majority of top 5-10 picks between 2012-2015 have been underwhelming.

I mean, the Skins took an OG at 5 last year.
is it a foregone conclusion at this point in draft circles that Spence is going to be a top 15 pick? Obviously the mental aspect has to check out but the talent level is definitely there.

Imagine if Spence, Bosa, and Adolphus Washington were all on the same DL their senior year :lol that's scary

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
is it a foregone conclusion at this point in draft circles that Spence is going to be a top 15 pick? Obviously the mental aspect has to check out but the talent level is definitely there.

Imagine if Spence, Bosa, and Adolphus Washington were all on the same DL their senior year :lol that's scary
Yeah, Spence is a legit physical talent. It's just hard to tell what he is upstairs. Way too many talented guys ruin their careers off the field. I'd be very careful with him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, Spence is a legit physical talent. It's just hard to tell what he is upstairs. Way too many talented guys ruin their careers off the field. I'd be very careful with him.
This is true, although from what I can tell the guy was just doing a bunch of Molly right?

Von Miller got busted for the same thing in Vegas a few years ago as well if I'm not mistaken.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is true, although from what I can tell the guy was just doing a bunch of Molly right?

Von Miller got busted for the same thing in Vegas a few years ago as well if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah some guys bounce back from that stuff. Others spiral. I actually heard Von Miller talking about it the other days as sort of a plea to not give up on Manziel. Basically saying that he was able to come back from substance abuse and so could Manziel.

Jiggyfly

Banned

The fact that he got busted is not that big a deal it's the fact that he could not stop doing Molly wich is not a very addictive drug.

He could be Josh Gordon or Tyronne Mathieu can't stop or finally figure it out.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Thats why the pick that makes sense is far and away the QB if you grade him as a Pro Bowler.
Yeah I don't see how there is much argument for not talking advantage of this bonus window that has become available from a crappy season. The timing couldn't be better and the QB candidates are pretty solid. It just doesn't fall this way very often.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It is just our luck.

The one fucking year we get a top five pick, nobody can fucking figure out who the best player(s) are by February and we are left with non-essential positions like LDE, DB and LB with guys in the running.
Yep. The next Greg Ellis, Roy Williams or Terrance Newman....come on down.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
And you know Jerry is going to give a QB 5 years plus to figure out if he is the guy.
The evaluation window is probably 3-5 years. The downside of not taking a chance on a QB is that it keeps pushing that evaluation window back.

But I think Jerry, in his 'win now' mode and with his lack of foresight, will likely continue putting all his eggs in the same basket and we'll try riding the Romo train for at least a couple more years before we get serious about a future replacement. Most likely all it'll do is delay the QB hunt and evaluation process.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The evaluation window is probably 3-5 years. The downside of not taking a chance on a QB is that it keeps pushing that evaluation window back.

But I think Jerry, in his 'win now' mode and with his lack of foresight, will likely continue putting all his eggs in the same basket and we'll try riding the Romo train for at least a couple more years before we get serious about a future replacement. Most likely all it'll do is delay the QB hunt and evaluation process.
The downside is taking a guy at 4 you are not sure of.

I have no issue taking a QB this year but I want to make dam sure he is worth it, this idea of taking a gamble makes little sense.

There are far too many other needs on this team that could be addressed instead of gambling on a QB.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
2013 was worse, but yes, it's a shame. That's why we need to maximize the potential of the pick by taking a QB, I'd much rather roll the dice on a QB we have ranked say 7th overall than a LB ranked 3rd overall.
That would be the smart way to approach the draft which means the Cowboys will do the complete opposite. I think the Cowboys are all in on Romo and will be more concerned with trying to find an impact player who can contribute immediately.

I could understand that logic if the Cowboys had been close to getting to a Super Bowl multiple times over the past few years, but aside from the anomaly that was the 2014 season they haven't come close.

To me common sense would tell me that the better course of action would be to take advantage of this draft position and take a swing at the top QB in the draft. Instead of being short-sighted they need to embrace the potential long term benefits that adding a QB could bring.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That would be the smart way to approach the draft which means the Cowboys will do the complete opposite. I think the Cowboys are all in on Romo and will be more concerned with trying to find an impact player who can contribute immediately.

I could understand that logic if the Cowboys had been close to getting to a Super Bowl multiple times over the past few years, but aside from the anomaly that was the 2014 season they haven't come close.

To me common sense would tell me that the better course of action would be to take advantage of this draft position and take a swing at the top QB in the draft. Instead of being short-sighted they need to embrace the potential long term benefits that adding that QB could bring.
The only hope is that Stephen Jones wasn't bullshitting when he said that he considered backup QB an impact position. If they think having a starting level talent behind Romo is something that could save a season they might go for it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Just sick.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Dane Brugler has Goff 9th overall and Wentz 10th overall.

Do it Jerry. Dooooooooo ittttttt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom