NFL denies DeAngelo Williams' request to wear pink shoes in honor of his mom

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DeAngelo Williams says NFL cited uniform policy in reasoning

Jeremy Fowler, ESPN Senior NFL Writer

SAN DIEGO -- DeAngelo Williams was told over the phone by NFL vice president of football operations Troy Vincent that he couldn't wear pink accessories throughout the season because there are no exceptions to the uniform policy, the Pittsburgh Steelers running back told ESPN on Monday night.

Williams, who lost his mother, Sandra Hill, to breast cancer in May 2014, dyed the tips of his hair pink instead.

He wanted to wear pink shoes or pink wristbands throughout the year, not just during the traditional breast cancer awareness month of October, to honor his mother and those who have lost loved ones to the cancer.

ESPN's Lisa Salters first mentioned the situation during the Monday Night Football broadcast.

How did the news make Williams feel?

"The same way it made you feel after you heard it -- like, man," he said. "He told me no. I'm assuming they are telling everybody else no as well ... It wasn't about selling it. You know and I know and everybody else knows before I made the phone call."

Williams said he is purchasing 53 mammograms tests -- in honor of his mother's age when she died -- for a hospital in Charlotte, North Carolina, where he played nine NFL seasons for the Carolina Panthers, and in Pittsburgh.

Williams had told Salters: "It's not just about October for me; it's not just a month, it's a lifestyle. It's about getting women to recognize to get tested."

At least the hair passes the uniform test for Williams, who also has polished his toenails pink in the past.

"The hair, it's part of the uniform from the standpoint of being tackled, but it's not specific on what color it has to be or if it has to match the uniform," he said.

The NFL did not immediately respond to requests seeking comment on its decision.

Dick move, NFL.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I actually agree with them. Breast Cancer gets very well represented by the NFL, so there is really nothing to complain about there. Also, if you start letting one player do this then other guys chime in with other uniform requests. He should be able to honor his mom regardless, not wearing pink on the field does not minimize that.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I actually agree with them. Breast Cancer gets very well represented by the NFL, so there is really nothing to complain about there. Also, if you start letting one player do this then other guys chime in with other uniform requests. He should be able to honor his mom regardless, not wearing pink on the field does not minimize that.
Considering the whole wear pink thing was started basically by this woman... I think you could let her son wear pink cleats and wristbands all year.
I really think helmet, shirt and pants should be the only parts that have to be the same for all players, let each wear whichever cleats they preffer and "accesorize" with what they please...

Carp

DCC 4Life
Considering the whole wear pink thing was started basically by this woman... I think you could let her son wear pink cleats and wristbands all year.
I really think helmet, shirt and pants should be the only parts that have to be the same for all players, let each wear whichever cleats they preffer and "accesorize" with what they please...
I don't think it is a big deal...he can honor his mom while not wearing pink on the field.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't think it is a big deal...he can honor his mom while not wearing pink on the field.
People like to have their emotional "causes" and a reason for outcry. I feel bad for the dude but there is a uniform policy for everyone. There is not one mother on this planet that won't die.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's a very special circumstance that could be marketed as a special exception. I think it's retarded they won't let him honor her the way he wants. It would be different if she didn't die of breast cancer, but well, she did.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The NFL has a hard time grasping the whole common sense thing.

Let the guy wear the damn shoes. Is it really gonna bring the league down to its knees if it makes this exception?

Sheesh.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The NFL has a hard time grasping the whole common sense thing.

Let the guy wear the damn shoes. Is it really gonna bring the league down to its knees if it makes this exception?

Sheesh.
He can wear pink shoes on his own time. The league can't make exceptions simply because of an emotional circumstance. There would be a flood of requests. They aren't telling him he can't honor his mother, they are saying he can't wear pink shoes during the game.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He can wear pink shoes on his own time. The league can't make exceptions simply because of an emotional circumstance. There would be a flood of requests. They aren't telling him he can't honor his mother, they are saying he can't wear pink shoes during the game.
I can understand the pants, shirt, and helmets. I dont understand the other stuff at all and I dont buy the other request excuse. This is a program that everybody knows and he wants to participate in something more than a hand towel. Its not like the other players can go ask to where some other off the wall stuff (meaning other colors or other logos) because they know what the program is. Heaven forbid we dont know he supports Nike or Addidas.

data

Forbes #1
Brandon Marshall was fined for his shoes - green, I think?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Why should he be an exception? Is his family member more special than someone else's or cause more important? There are many different colors that represent many different causes... should he be allowed to represent while others are denied? What about green cleats for kidney cancer, blue for colon cancer, purple for testicular cancer...? If they allow him, they have to allow everyone. If they really want to do something, they should bring awareness to cancers like colo-rectal, prostate, pancreatic, and a few others which have a much higher mortality rate. Cancers like prostate and testicular are such big killers mostly because men tend to believe that they're invincible and therefore often ignore/deny the warning signs and avoid getting tested because of the stigma attached.

But I digress... noone wants to hear the real truth, they just read a story like this and come to the conclusion that the NFL hates women.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Not the same thing, but kind of...I hate that LBs can now wear numbers in the 40s now.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not the same thing, but kind of...I hate that LBs can now wear numbers in the 40s now.
Yea, I'm old school like that too.

I never liked receivers being able to wear anything other than a # in the 80's.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Props to Williams.

His non-profit is paying for mammograms for 53 women in Charlotte and Pittsburgh.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Props to Williams.

His non-profit is paying for mammograms for 53 women in Charlotte and Pittsburgh.
And in this way he is honoring his mother. He doesn't need to accessorize his uniform to do so.

Top Bottom