NBA Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Anthony Mason dies at age of 48

ESPN.com news services | February 28, 2015

Anthony Mason, a longtime NBA player who helped the New York Knicks reach the 1994 NBA Finals, has died at the age of 48.

A Knicks spokesperson confirmed to ESPN that Mason died early Saturday morning. The 13-year NBA veteran had been diagnosed with congestive heart failure earlier this month.

"First I want to thank all those who offered prayers and well-wishes for my Father, our family really appreciates it," his son, Anthony Mason Jr., said Saturday. "Overnight, New York City and the world lost a legend, a friend, a brother ... but more than anything our father, Anthony Mason. As you all would expect our father -- Big Mase -- put up an incredible fight, dealing with a severe heart issue. I'm wishing this was something else I was writing, but Pops we've got to let you know we love you and know you'll always be with us."

Mason's other son Antoine, a senior basketball player at Auburn, had said earlier this week that his father was "getting better" following multiple heart surgeries.

Mason's family released a statement Saturday morning, saying that he "fought like a warrior to the very end."

"We would like to thank everyone for their heartfelt thoughts and strong prayers," the statement said. "Anthony felt each and every one. He fought like a warrior to the very end. Please keep your prayers and thoughts with us through this very hard time -- it is a great loss for us. We ask for our privacy during this time."

Mason played for six teams but was best remembered for his five-year tenure with the Knicks. Mason's bruising, physical play epitomized then-coach Pat Riley's Knicks teams. The 6-foot-7 forward became a fan favorite for his physical play and also drew attention for the creative artwork and messages that he had carved in his hair cuts.

Mason teamed with Patrick Ewing, Charles Oakley and John Starks to help the Knicks win the Eastern Conference in 1994 and reach the NBA Finals, where they lost to the Houston Rockets in seven games.

"My heart is heavy after learning that we lost Anthony Mason last night," Ewing said in a statement. "We were teammates on the Knicks for five great seasons. Mase came to play every night and was always ready to go to battle with me every time we stepped on the court together.

"I will remember him for his strength, determination and perseverance. My thoughts are with his family. May he rest in peace."

Oakley took to Twitter to send his condolences.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
My favorite era of basketball era was 90's basketball, and the one team who seemed to be in the mix for all the great rivalries of that era were the Knicks.

I liked the way they played and loved their nastiness and physicality.

Mason was probably the toughest of that group and I liked to watch him play.

RIP, Mase.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We lost to the Nets tonight.

The Brooklyn Nets.

At home.

We lost to the Brooklyn Nets at home.

:doh

Cotton

Staff member
We lost to the Nets tonight.

The Brooklyn Nets.

At home.

We lost to the Brooklyn Nets at home.

:doh
To be fair we were missing both Chandlers. But, yeah, that's pretty bad.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Hey Simp what's your take on the Rockets these days?

Pretty gritty win Yesterday, defense and bench play has been pretty impressive lately I am starting to feel good about this team mentally.

Cotton

Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Hey Simp what's your take on the Rockets these days?

Pretty gritty win Yesterday, defense and bench play has been pretty impressive lately I am starting to feel good about this team mentally.
It was a nice win but I still think they are a 2nd round and out type of team, the West is so unpredictable though just because everybody is so good, I think in the East they'd definitely make the ECF.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It was a nice win but I still think they are a 2nd round and out type of team, the West is so unpredictable though just because everybody is so good, I think in the East they'd definitely make the ECF.
I felt this way much of the year but I am starting to think any team in the West fits that bill.

I could see anybody losing in the 2nd round to the right matchup, only OKC fully healthy scares me.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I guess now we can say the firing of George Karl was officially a colossal mistake.

D

Deuce

Celtics about to sign JaVale McGee for 2 years to gear up and make a run at that 8th spot. I have no expectations for getting that spot or doing anything with it if they did. But he'll be a nice player to have next season when they can legitimately make a run at the playoffs assuming they start spending that cap money.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I may have been too hard on Noel...he is really coming on. Been watching Embiid in drills with Brown too...damn is he fluid and smooth on the offensive end. So excited to see him on the court next year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Celtics about to sign JaVale McGee for 2 years to gear up and make a run at that 8th spot. I have no expectations for getting that spot or doing anything with it if they did. But he'll be a nice player to have next season when they can legitimately make a run at the playoffs assuming they start spending that cap money.

Cotton

Staff member
Source: McGee passes on Celtics
Updated: March 5, 2015, 4:59 PM ET
By Jeff Goodman | ESPN.com

Talks between the Boston Celtics and 7-footer JaVale McGee have fallen apart Thursday afternoon, a source told ESPN.com.

After Celtics general manager Danny Ainge acknowledged earlier Thursday that the two sides were close to a deal, a source told ESPN.com that it unraveled when McGee wanted a player option for next season while the Celtics wanted a team option.

McGee, 27, was waived by the Philadelphia 76ers on Sunday after the franchise acquired him at the trade deadline from the Denver Nuggets.

He has averaged 4.6 points and 2.7 rebounds this season in 23 games -- 17 with the Nuggets and six with Philadelphia.

The Celtics (24-35) are 11th in the Eastern Conference standings but only two games behind the Charlotte Hornets for the eighth playoff spot.

"JaVale is a long, athletic guy, and we don't have that type of player -- an above-the-rim offensive and defensive player," Ainge said earlier Thursday during his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio 98.5 The Sports Hub. "He's been paid a lot of money in our league, had some injuries, hasn't lived up to his potential yet, and we're hoping that he can under [Celtics coach Brad Stevens'] tutelage.

"I think he's in a good place, emotionally and mentally, and he really wants to get his career on the right path."

However, that path apparently will be with another team.

The Miami Heat, Dallas Mavericks and Golden State Warriors have been mentioned as possible landing spots for McGee, who would be eligible to play in the postseason because he was waived before the playoff-eligibility deadline.

Philadelphia ultimately agreed to release McGee without forcing him to surrender any salary. He had roughly $3 million left from his $11.25 million salary this season when the Sixers acquired him and is owed $12 million next season.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Great stories from Reggie Miller about MJ and Spike Lee and visiting Mike Tyson in prison.

One of my all time favorite NBA players:

Top Bottom