Report: Cowboys to use franchise tag on Dez Bryant

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Even two low firsts can make a huge difference, but you can just about shut Romo's window without Dez.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Even two low firsts can make a huge difference, but you can just about shut Romo's window without Dez.
I don't think so. It's not like they've been together their whole career. I think losing Witten would hurt Romo more than losing Dez.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'd give up 2 firsts for Dez. There are special talents that deserve that kind of commitment...and he is one. I value draft picks as much as anyone, but it is naïve to think he that replaceable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd give up 2 firsts for Dez. There are special talents that deserve that kind of commitment...and he is one. I value draft picks as much as anyone, but it is naïve to think he that replaceable.
Just two firsts by themselves I would agree. You have to keep in mind though that Dez is going to get a mega contract. So you're really talking about 2 first round picks and 13 mil in cap savings per year (approximately).

D

Deuce

I would do it if I were someone like the Pats who have an elite QB he can play with for a few years and will be picking at the end of the round within him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Just two firsts by themselves I would agree. You have to keep in mind though that Dez is going to get a mega contract. So you're really talking about 2 first round picks and 13 mil in cap savings per year (approximately).
I like sure things...Dez is a sure thing in my mind.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Yeah, if I was running the Seahawks I'd be leaning towards giving up two firsts for Dez.

Bottom of the round picks for a guy who would make that O scary if Lynch comes back.

cmd34

Brand New Member
Yeah, if I was running the Seahawks I'd be leaning towards giving up two firsts for Dez.

Bottom of the round picks for a guy who would make that O scary if Lynch comes back.
Not to mention it seriously hurts one of your top NFC competitors. The only problem for the Seahawks is they are going to start losing players and signing Dez to a big deal makes that worst. Still, it would make them very hard to beat. Meanwhile, we're throwing the ball to Terrance Williams and Sammie Coates and handing off the ball to Tevin Coleman.#BUILDTHROUGHTHEDRAFT

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So does someone go for Demaryius Thomas or Dez Bryant? If it's me, it's Dez all the way, but to a neutral observer there is no compelling argument for either over the other.

When you factor in there MIGHT be off the field questions about Dez, it probably tilts in favor of Thomas.

Regardless, any offer would have to be poison-pilled out the ass for the Cowboys not to match.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you factor in there MIGHT be off the field questions about Dez, it probably tilts in favor of Thomas.
As much as I like Romo you have to take the Peyton Manning effect into consideration. People know that Peyton Manning is going to make a WR look better then he actually is by essentially getting guys open with what he does at the line of scrimmage.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
As much as I like Romo you have to take the Peyton Manning effect into consideration. People know that Peyton Manning is going to make a WR look better then he actually is by essentially getting guys open with what he does at the line of scrimmage.
So does someone go for Demaryius Thomas or Dez Bryant? If it's me, it's Dez all the way, but to a neutral observer there is no compelling argument for either over the other.

Regardless, any offer would have to be poison-pilled out the ass for the Cowboys not to match.
Also, I'm going to look at TDs over yards on a WR any day and Dez has the edge 56 to 41.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Good point. Hard to tell when Thomas' first QB was one of the worst NFL passers ever and his second was arguably the greatest. I'm only pointing out he may look like a safer alternative for a team willing to spend two low firsts over volatile Dez.

Also, I'm going to look at TDs over yards on a WR any day and Dez has the edge 56 to 41.
Again, for me there's no comparison. These don't even count Dez's return TD's.

But the both have been used differently... outside of a handful of TDs to Williams, Bryant is the Cowboys' main horse while Denver has exploited redzone options like Julius Thomas, Wes Welker, and guys like Becker and Sanders.

By drawing the defense's primary attention Demaryius keys that whole mess as much as Manning does.

Top Bottom