2017 Coaching Hirings/Firings

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rumor is that Vance Joseph, the supposed leader in the clubhouse for the HC spot, wouldn't retain him.

Phillips is certainly an upgrade over Barry but I don't think he is some grandmaster X's and O's guy who can coach up mediocre talent. Our defense was stocked while he was here, including a future HOF'er in Ware, when he was in Houston he had a guy who may go down as the GOAT DL in Watt if he can stay healthy, and obviously in Denver they are/were loaded at every level of the defense, with yet another future HOF pass-rusher in Miller.

His schemes are usually relatively simple 1-gap, 3-4 stuff, he does a good job of getting production out of interior linemen by freeing them up to rush instead of 2-gap, but overall I feel like he is more talent-dependent than other top coordinators.

Ryan Kerrigan is hardly Ware, Watt or Miller.
Sure, but it is not like he would be taking over a bad group. Preston Smith and Trent Murphy are decent along with Kerrigan.

They would need to get three good linemen.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Interesting.

Some of these guys have been around Payton for a long long time.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sure, but it is not like he would be taking over a bad group. Preston Smith and Trent Murphy are decent along with Kerrigan.

They would need to get three good linemen.
Yea, I mean he's a good coordinator, but I wouldn't be worried unless they got serious upgrades throughout basically their entire defense aside from OLB and CB1.

Their safeties, inside linebackers and defensive line are horrific, they basically have three good OLB's, two of whom have basically peaked, and one good corner in Norman.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Don't be such pussies guys.

Do I want the Skins to hire some gump position coach who has never been a DC before?

Sure, but it's not realistic considering that Gruden is likely fired if they miss the playoffs again next year.

A bunch of people here were worried about Schwartz going to Philly and what happened?

The defense played great for about 7 games and then went to shit, and they had a hell of alot more talent on that side of the ball than the Skins do.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Spagnuolo hasn't gotten any sniffs so far either and his coaching this year has been just as impressive as Linehan's. They are probably in the same boat. Retreads who aren't young enough to be exciting.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Spagnuolo hasn't gotten any sniffs so far either and his coaching this year has been just as impressive as Linehan's. They are probably in the same boat. Retreads who aren't young enough to be exciting.
The fact that Linnehan did what he did with a rookie QB is far more impressive than what Spagnola did, especially after spending all they did in the offseason.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Looks like the Browns fired Horton and installed Greggg Williams.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jaguars hire Doug Marrone as head coach.

:zzz

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Coughlin hired by Jags as VP of football operations, extend GM Caldwell. Uh, not sure what this means other than they are putting up a nice public front for the locals.

Cotton

Staff member
Sounds like Musgrave is out at Oakland. That's pretty surprising.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Sounds like Musgrave is out at Oakland. That's pretty surprising.
Must be a personal thing. Surely they dont blame him for Carr getting hurt??

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Looks like they felt they have to promote QB coach Todd Downing to keep him from going elsewhere.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why?

Top Bottom