QB Controversy Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There isn't anything Dak can do to win over the weight of the evidence from every other rookie. It's not ignoring shit; it's saying based on rookies in general I choose to trust the 14 year vet..
You realize that what one rookie does is totally independent of what another rookie does? You're basically making a statistical blunder.

D

Deuce

Why does this thread still have legs? There is no more controversy. Shut this bitch down.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Forget Tony Romo: Even when Dak Prescott struggles, he comes back to win

By Rick Gosselin , Staff Columnist
Contact Rick Gosselinon Twitter:mad:RickGosselinDMN
ARLINGTON -- You could have excused Dak Prescott for looking over his shoulder.
You could have excused Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan for looking over their shoulders as well.
For the first time in almost a year, Tony Romo was ready, beyond willing and able to play football again. And midway through the second quarter, you can bet the 93,000 in attendance at AT&T Stadium Sunday were taking a peek at the Dallas sideline to see if Romo was stirring. Having the franchise's all-time leading passer on your sideline is like having Secretariat in your stable

Prescott was struggling. He was finally playing quarterback like a rookie fourth-round draft choice is expected to play. He completed only six of his first 13 passes against the NFL's best defense. His seventh incompletion was a wide throw to an open Jason Witten at the back of the end zone.
His other six incompletions were a variety of overthrows, underthrows, wide tosses and passes behind his receivers. The first four Dallas possessions ended in punts and the Cowboys found themselves trailing the Ravens, 7-0. Prescott clearly didn't have his A-game going.
With all the raves reviews Romo has been receiving in recent weeks from owner Jerry Jones and the Dallas receiving corps, we all had to wonder if there was indeed a hook hidden away on the home sideline.
No need.
Prescott, the gamer that he is, heated up like few quarterbacks we've ever seen in Dallas heat up. On the next play he threw into a tight window in the front corner of the end zone to Cole Beasley for the game-tying touchdown. That sent the Cowboys off and running to a 27-17 triumph over the Ravens and a franchise-record nine consecutive victory.
It's like Prescott flipped a switch.
Starting with the completion to Beasley, Prescott completed 21 of his final 23 passes for 217 yards and three touchdowns. One of his incompletions was a throwaway under pressure in the second quarter and the other was a strike to tight end Gavin Escobar in the third quarter that Ravens cornerback Shareece Wright ripped from his hands.
Yes, Gavin Escobar -- a much-maligned second-round draft pick in 2013 who became a lost soul in the Romo offense. He'd go months without seeing a pass, much less catching one, with Romo dealing the cards. But Prescott has become so all inclusive in his passing offense that even Escobar can make a contribution. He caught a 14-yard pass for a first down on the opening drive in the fourth quarter.
Prescott gets everyone involved. Of his final 21 completions, Dez Bryant and Witten caught five apiece, Beasley four, Ezekiel Elliott three, Lance Dunbar two and Brice Butler and Escobar one each. He doesn't force the ball to anyone, thus he doesn't put the football at risk. That keeps the Dallas offense on the field and the Dallas defense off it. Prescott takes what the defense gives him.
Prescott opened the season with a NFL-record 176 consecutive passes by a rookie to start his career without an interception. He now has another streak going -- 121 consecutive passes without an interception over his last four games.
Prescott completed his final 11 passes against the Ravens, including touchdown strikes of 4 and 13 yards to Bryant, to snuff out any chance of a Baltimore comeback. He wound up with 301 yards passing in the game, only the second 300-yard passing game allowed by the Ravens and their fifth-ranked pass defense this season.
"His decision-making was outstanding throughout the game," Garrett said. "He just has great poise, great composure, great understanding of what we're doing against what they're trying to do to us. He gets better and better every week."

What I like best about Prescott is his ball security. He doesn't beat himself. I also like his resilience. He never doubts himself -- even after a slow start Sunday when he got sacked by Albert McClellan on the first series and drilled in the back by Matthew Judon on a blind-side hit in the second series. He was spraying passes all over the yard.
"I didn't know how many incompletions I threw earlier in the game," Prescott said, "but I knew it was a good bit. I wasn't throwing it as quick as I wanted, or had the greatest start, but I wasn't worried about. I was just focusing in the next play, the next call, believing in the guys around me to make plays or make the blocks. When we do that, things get fun."
Prescott believes in himself. Nine games into his career, the Cowboys believe in him, too. If there is indeed a hook anywhere on the Dallas sideline, get rid of it. Prescott and these Cowboys are too much fun to watch _ or to doubt.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I legitimately called for this to be closed Oct 16th. I assume it's only here now for entertainment value.
Yeah, I see no reason to actually close the thread, but there is no debate anymore, IMO. But, in my opinion, there hasn't been a valid debate for about 3-4 weeks, so...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I legitimately called for this to be closed Oct 16th. I assume it's only here now for entertainment value.
You're being so narrow minded. Other people have different opinions and you need to acknowledge that their opinions are ok.

dallen

Senior Tech
You're being so narrow minded. Other people have different opinions and you need to acknowledge that their opinions are ok.
If someone has the opinion that Dak shouldn't be the starting the QB on this team I do not acknowledge that their opinion is ok because they are wrong.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, someone told me that recently then chastised me. It's ok though. I survived it. :art

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If someone has the opinion that Dak shouldn't be the starting the QB on this team I do not acknowledge that their opinion is ok because they are wrong.
They shouldn't go to Romo now; you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. But I still believe they should have gone to Romo starting with the Pittsburgh game.

I do agree it's a moot point now and not worth debating.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats not true either.
Um it is though. Because each QBs performance is independant from one another. You're the guy who flips a coin six times and think those results will dictate what will happen on the seventh flip.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This isn't statistics. It's football.

No one is making the argument that it's statistically impossible for Prescott to be anything based on the past, but there are hurdles he faces as a rookie.

He may succeed and overcome them anyway. So far he has.

But it's my preference to stick with the vet, as it would a coach like Bill Parcells.

And I can't be "wrong" because there isn't a way to know which has better odds. It's all just your gut. Prescott's amazing accomplishments, though he is raw, or Romo's veteran experience, though he's had playoff failures.

You pick one and hope it works. The Cowboys have picked Prescott and will
never know if Romo was the better choice in this situation because they'all never find out how he would have done (barring a Prescott injury).

Genghis Khan

There were a lot of people who were really quick to shit on the couple of us that thought going back to Romo when he got healthy was the right thing to do. Wouldn't even acknowledge that we may have had a point and that we may have even been right.

There were a lot of people who were really quick to shit all over Romo's career and really quick to forget how very good Romo has been.

You know who you are. Consider this your ode.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
There were a lot of people who were really quick to shit on the couple of us that thought going back to Romo when he got healthy was the right thing to do. Wouldn't even acknowledge that we may have had a point and that we may have even been right.

There were a lot of people who were really quick to shit all over Romo's career and really quick to forget how very good Romo has been.

You know who you are. Consider this your ode.
But you're still not right, Geng.

Just like I just told Ravi in the gameday thread, we haven't made a mistake...yet. Sticking with Dak was absolutely the right decision.

The guy won 11 damn games in a row, for crying out loud. And you and Ravi are really trying to tell us that the team made a mistake? Are you kidding me?

No, the mistake would be to get into such a special position like we're in now, watch Dak fall apart, and yet still stick with him when there's a chance that Romo could come in and save us. But up to this point, nobody who wanted Dak to be the starter was wrong and the staff is not wrong with sticking with him.

We won 11 games in a row with arguably the NFL's best offense during that span, and yet some of you are acting like Romo would've been like even super gooder....or something. :jerk

You can't do better than 11-1, and it's not like Romo would've turned them into the 2007 Patriots either. Dak played as well as you can play at the position and he added a dimension that Romo could not.

Now we're at a crossroads. If Dak struggles next week, then that's when the REAL decision and controversy begins, and that's when there actually is the potential to make a wrong decision.

If Dak struggles, then I want Romo in there.....but that has absolutely no bearing on the decision that was made before up to this point. It doesn't change that no matter how much you think it does.

Genghis Khan

But you're still not right, Geng.

Just like I just told Ravi in the gameday thread, we haven't made a mistake...yet. Sticking with Dak was absolutely the right decision.

The guy won 11 damn games in a row, for crying out loud. And you and Ravi are really trying to tell us that the team made a mistake? Are you kidding me?

No, the mistake would be to get into such a special position like we're in now, watch Dak fall apart, and yet still stick with him when there's a chance that Romo could come in and save us. But up to this point, nobody who wanted Dak to be the starter was wrong and the staff is not wrong with sticking with him.

We won 11 games in a row with arguably the NFL's best offense during that span, and yet some of you are acting like Romo would've been like even super gooder....or something. :jerk

You can't do better than 11-1, and it's not like Romo would've turned them into the 2007 Patriots either. Dak played as well as you can play at the position and he added a dimension that Romo could not.

Now we're at a crossroads. If Dak struggles next week, then that's when the REAL decision and controversy begins, and that's when there actually is the potential to make a wrong decision.

If Dak struggles, then I want Romo in there.....but that has absolutely no bearing on the decision that was made before up to this point. It doesn't change that no matter how much you think it does.

:rofl

2 or 3 of us could reasonably anticipate a performance like this coming. The rest of you were wrong.

It's not about, could we have done better up to that point, it's about can a rookie win in December/january when it's cold and bad weather and we're playing strong motivated defenses that can confuse a rookie.

That's what the rest of you weren't grasping, and I'm amazed you're still not grasping it.

I know dak can play well against Tampa in a week or Pittsburgh in November or whatever, it was never about that. The scary part is, he'll probably play well next week and we'll feel better. But the question won't be answered until the playoffs.

I wish I was wrong, trust me. And now I hope he can figure things out and turn it around. Because we can't go back to Romo now unless dak is completely bottoming out.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:rofl

2 or 3 of us could reasonably anticipate a performance like this coming. The rest of you were wrong.

It's not about, could we have done better up to that point, it's about can a rookie win in December/january when it's cold and bad weather and we're playing strong motivated defenses that can confuse a rookie.

That's what the rest of you weren't grasping, and I'm amazed you're still not grasping it.

I know dak can play well against Tampa in a week or Pittsburgh in November or whatever, it was never about that. The scary part is, he'll probably play well next week and we'll feel better. But the question won't be answered until the playoffs.

I wish I was wrong, trust me. And now I hope he can figure things out and turn it around. Because we can't go back to Romo now unless dak is completely bottoming out.
It should be obvious to everyone now that this team is going to have to have an experienced QB to take them the rest of the way. The water is deep now and it's gonna get deeper.

Top Bottom