The Great Police Work Thread

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
You obviously don't understand dogs and how they are much more inherent to attack if they feel someone is in their domain versus not.
That, and Pitbulls are the Devil

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, because a cop accidentally shooting himself is hilarious.
You have to wonder about the qualifications of an officer who shoots himself on accident. Everyone makes mistakes but yikes, talk about someone that I wonder if they belong carrying a gun at all.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You have to wonder about the qualifications of an officer who shoots himself on accident. Everyone makes mistakes but yikes, talk about someone that I wonder if they belong carrying a gun at all.
I would agree with that 100%. It's still not funny that he shot himself.

Cotton

Staff member
I think you will find that postal employees are not to attempt to deliver mail if there is a dog that may be dangerous.
Don't mind him. He is just backpedaling because he laughed at something that wasn't funny.

townsend

Banned
Florida Police Officer Kills Volunteer In 'Shoot/Don't Shoot' Demonstration

Florida Police Officer Kills Volunteer In 'Shoot/Don't Shoot' Demonstration

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/10/489553077/florida-policeman-kills-elderly-volunteer-in-shoot-don-t-shoot-demonstration
Steve Knowlton wipes his eyes as he talks about his mother Mary Knowlton who was fatally shot in Punta Gorda, Fla., by an police officer who mistakenly used live ammunition during a citizens academy "shoot/don't shoot" role-playing exercise.
Steve Knowlton wipes his eyes as he talks about his mother Mary Knowlton who was fatally shot in Punta Gorda, Fla., by an police officer who mistakenly used live ammunition during a citizens academy "shoot/don't shoot" role-playing exercise.
Chris O'Meara/AP
A role-playing exercise by Punta Gorda, Fla., police designed to show the public how officers have to make tough, split-second decisions ended tragically as a 73-year-old former librarian was mistakenly shot and killed by an officer firing live ammunition.

A state investigation is underway to determine why a live round was used when police say they thought only blanks were available for the demonstration.

According to The Associated Press, Punta Gorda Police Chief Tom Lewis said the officer has been placed on administrative leave.

"We were unaware that any live ammunition was available to the officer," Lewis said at a news conference Wednesday. "The officer involved is grief stricken. We've got officers assigned to him to make sure he's psychologically stable."

The officer was identified as 28-year-old Lee Coel, with the police department for two years, who has participated in several of the "shoot/don't shoot" scenarios for the public.

The victim is Mary Knowlton, who was selected at random for the role-play at an event sponsored by the police and the Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce. The citizens academy was attended by 35 people, including Knowlton's husband and Chief Lewis.

Chamber President John Wright told the News-Press.com immediately after the fatal shooting the audience didn't realize that Knowlton actually had been shot.

"Even when it started to play out people thought it was part of the theater of it," Lewis said. "Nobody knew the severity until they told us to move back, about 2 to 3 minutes."

Steve Knowlton, son of Mary Knowlton, said his mother was supportive of the police and that was why she and her husband attended the event. "I know this officer didn't mean for this to happen and I'm sure he's in a living hell right now. We all forgive him," said Knowlton.

"I know my mom, she's watching me right now and I know if I didn't forgive, she'd be angry with me," he said.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

townsend

Banned
I saw this earlier, and was ecstatic. I have no idea if Avery was guilty, but this kid got absolutely railroaded, people should have been disbarred.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I saw this earlier, and was ecstatic. I have no idea if Avery was guilty, but this kid got absolutely railroaded, people should have been disbarred.
Yea it was heartwrenching just watching it

Cotton

Staff member
And since the entire case against Avery hinged on Brendan being a part of the scenario, then Avery's case should be brought back to court.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
While we are required to qualify with shooting our weapons every year (we used to twice a year, but not anymore), for many who don't care, that is the only time they touch their guns. They don't practice drawing a weapons much less shooting it so they lose the skill they were taught in training. Kinda odd when you consider so many cops only do this job so they can shoot people of different races huh? :picard

townsend

Banned
While we are required to qualify with shooting our weapons every year (we used to twice a year, but not anymore), for many who don't care, that is the only time they touch their guns. They don't practice drawing a weapons much less shooting it so they lose the skill they were taught in training. Kinda odd when you consider so many cops only do this job so they can shoot people of different races huh? :picard
I don't think that many people reasonably believe that cops take work to shoot minorities.

From the people I know with criminal justice backgrounds the thing I keep hearing is that cops get terrorized into believing that at any second someone might pull a gun on them. They're shown tons of videos of cops that get shot (frequently by minorities) in routine circumstances and start treating routine circumstances as incredibly dangerous. Which is why you have incidents like what happened in Minnesota, where a cop was so scared of getting a gun pulled on him he fired on a man in his car with a kid.

Now there are also definitely departments (like Baltimore PD) that have deep, toxically racist cultures, but I don't think that accounts for the majority of cops shooting unarmed black men.

Top Bottom