Archer: Cowboys shift Keith Smith from linebacker to fullback

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys shift Keith Smith from linebacker to fullback

12:29 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys are moving in a different direction at fullback in 2016, shifting Keith Smith from linebacker and Rod Smith from tailback to compete for the spot.

Tyler Clutts served as the Cowboys’ fullback since late in the 2013 season, but he is a free agent.

Keith Smith has been on and off the active roster the last two seasons. He was credited with two special teams tackles last year. At 6-foot, 232 pounds, he has the build for the position. He wore No. 56 last year and now wears No. 41.

Rod Smith joined the Cowboys off waivers last year from the Seattle Seahawks. He played in 10 games but did not have a carry or a catch. He also played special teams. At 6-foot-3, 226 pounds, he has a different frame for than a traditional fullback, but the Cowboys like his versatility.

He is the older brother of the team’s second-round pick, linebacker Jaylon Smith.

The Cowboys also have Tulsa fullback Mandel Dixon at this weekend’s rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Isn't this the guy that was the running joke being on the team and off the team depending on the week?

data

Forbes #1
Have them share a jersey and alternate weeks.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
fine, just so long as klutz, er, Clutts is gone

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So basically we don't need a FB on the roster at all. I'm ok with that.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' history helps Keith Smith in switch to fullback
1:29 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Keith Smith is not familiar with the Robert Thomas story, but the Dallas Cowboys are attempting to do with Smith what they did with Thomas in the late 1990s.

Thomas was a linebacker when he first joined the Cowboys, then made the transition to fullback, helping to open up holes for Emmitt Smith.

Keith Smith has been on and off the Cowboys’ active roster the last two seasons as a linebacker but he has made the move this offseason to fullback.

The Cowboys got the idea last year when watching Smith work the scout team in practice.

“They asked me, ‘Have you ever played offense?’” Smith said. “I thought it was just small talk and what not, but I guess they really considered it then. I think it was the last week of the season and [running backs coach Gary Brown] said, 'So, do you think you can handle the running back room?' and I was like, 'Man, put me in a room that’s going to get me on the field.'"

At his exit meeting with head coach Jason Garrett, the move was made.

Smith played tight end and some fullback in high school, in addition to linebacker. At San José State, Smith practiced some at fullback as well but they never used him there in a game.

“It’s not like it’s foreign to me,” Smith said. “I’ve always had good ball skills, so that just came natural to me. I think that’s what’s helped me out with the transition.”

Free agent Tyler Clutts had been the Cowboys’ fullback the last two-plus seasons, but the Cowboys wanted to get more production from that spot in special teams. Smith has the ability to play on all of the special-teams units. Clutts was part of the kickoff return team.

Smith has spent the offseason studying John Kuhn of the Green Bay Packers and Marcel Reece of the Oakland Raiders. He also believes playing linebacker will help him at fullback.

“I think that’s going to be an advantage for me just knowing how linebackers think on the defensive side because I know what angles they need to take to the ball, what they’re looking at and what I can use to my benefit against the defense,” Smith said.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I love how Robert Thomas was some sort of success story and bodes well for this guy.

It was pathetically sad watching Emmitt Smith break the rushing record with that schlub blocking in front of him.

dallen

Senior Tech
I love how Robert Thomas was some sort of success story and bodes well for this guy.

It was pathetically sad watching Emmitt Smith break the rushing record with that schlub blocking in front of him.
I know there aren't a lot of fullbacks coming out of college at this point, but even grabbing a thumper RB and converting him seems to make more sense to me. At least this guy played FB in HS and practiced it some in college. The Robert Thomas thing was embarrassing.

data

Forbes #1

And Hutchinson handing it off to him.

Top Bottom