Williams: Tyrone Crawford ready to play DE if necessary

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tyrone Crawford ready to play DE if necessary, though Cowboys hope it’s not

BY CHAREAN WILLIAMS
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

The Cowboys hope to keep Tyrone Crawford at the 3-technique, but they find comfort in the fact he can play defensive end if necessary. And it might be necessary.

Defensive end Randy Gregory faces a four-game suspension to open the season, while defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence’s four-game suspension is under appeal. The Cowboys are planning on playing the first four games without two of their top defensive ends.

“They’ve asked me and asked me to work with others – just be aware of the possibilities,” Crawford said Friday. “But I’ve been out there before, and I’ve moved along the line a lot. I’m not really stressing it. I know I can play anywhere along the line and do the job. I just want to do the job better than what they think I can.”

Crawford played end as a rookie in 2012 when the Cowboys played a 3-4 scheme. He missed the 2013 season with a torn Achilles and started the first three games of the 2014 season at left defensive end. After that, the Cowboys moved him to the 3-technique where he has made his last 28 starts.

“I’m going to do what I have to do,” Crawford said Friday. “It’s definitely a possibility if needed. We can’t have guys taking on such a big role they haven’t taken on before, so it’s all of us working together helping each other out. We definitely help this d-line, just for the first four weeks until we get our guys back.”

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli calls Crawford “an ace in the hole.” But he wants to see what Jack Crawford, Ryan Russell and free-agent addition Benson Mayowa, among others, can contribute at defensive end before moving Crawford.

“I’ll touch him up and make sure he’s got the review some of the alignments and all the details to it,” Marinelli said. “But I want to see how some of these other guys come along who might be able to help us too.

“…He can go out there. Jack Crawford can go out and play left end in a heart beat. He can play right end. We’ve got Ben who we’re going to count on him being a right end. And Ryan Russell. These guys have got to come along.”

Tyrone Crawford had surgery on his right shoulder immediately after the season. He is not 100 percent yet, but he’s close.

Crawford played most of last season with an injured rotator cuff, having injured it against Philadelphia in Week 2. He still made a career-high 44 tackles and a career-high five sacks.

“It’s extremely helpful to just have the strength back that I didn’t have last year,” Crawford said. “I’m back up to almost where I was before the injury. I’m feeling real good. I’m feeling confident about it as well.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You put Crawford at LE and I'm sure he gives you at least what Mincey gave us a couple years ago. Just depends which slot is easier to fill in the first 4 games, 3 technique or LE.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not having Gregory wasting starting minutes like 2015 should help.

Irving proved he deserves more time as did Jack Crawford.

Gregory was forced ahead of them because of his pedigree. Not only was he not ready he was banged up from the start.

I'm also getting concerned about Ty Crawford. Nagging injuries seem to find him and affect his play in the latter half of the year.

Collins and Thornton give me hope and should make our DEs better.

Top Bottom