Sherrington: Cowboys' current problem based on philosophy on backup QB's

p1_

DCC 4Life
Sherrington: Large part of Cowboys' current problem is based on their philosophy on backup QBs

SportsDay columnist Kevin Sherrington recently hosted a chat to talk all things D-FW sports. Here are some of the highlights:

Question: What is the most disappointing thing about this Cowboys team?

Sherrington: That everybody's hurt. Other than that, it's that the Cowboys believed Brandon Weeden to be a good idea as the back-up QB. As I've written several times, he doesn't fit any model for what you want. He's not a veteran guy with a lot of starts who can step right in and play a serviceable role. And, at 32, he's not a guy you're building with for the future. I don't know how much better Cassel can be, but it's certainly worth a shot.

Question: Is this bad karma that the Cowboys never prepared for day without Tony Romo?

Sherrington: Well, let me first say that there's hardly a team in the league that wouldn't suffer greatly from losing its starting QB. But, yes, a large part of the problem they face now is because of their philosophy about backup QBs. They don't like the idea of drafting and developing them, because they labor under the impression that they're just developing a QB for someone else to use down the line. I think that's ridiculous, and I've written it many times. You draft a QB every two or three years unless you've got a young guy you really believe in. The Cowboys under Jerry Jones have drafted five QBs in his quarter-century, and three were in the first three years.

Question: Should the Cowboys have drafted a QB in the first two rounds?

Sherrington: I don't believe you should box yourself in a corner with QBs. The NFL has a poor track record of rating QBs in the draft. The best one (Brady) was a sixth-rounder. Romo was a free agent. You can find one just about anywhere. But you have to look. The Cowboys should identify a QB they like and then go after him. If that's a first- or second-rounder, go for it. If that's a fourth- or fifth-rounder, do it. But make a commitment to a guy with a reasonable chance of succeeding.
~~~~

We don't draft em. I think it's plain stupid. Look what we have, and it shows our flawed approach to the single most important position on the offense.

Perhaps we can finally address it now with Deddy slowly fading from the scene. And Garrett should be eminently qualified to find and mold one for the future, which it appears, is now.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can't be afraid to draft and miss on QBs. You have to keep trying regardless.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You can't be afraid to draft and miss on QBs. You have to keep trying regardless.
I agree. I always liked the old system of having a prospect on the roster all the time and learning the game as time allowed. I guess the limited number of active roster spots put a muffler on that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He's not a veteran guy with a lot of starts who can step right in and play a serviceable role. And, at 32, he's not a guy you're building with for the future.
But he was ahhhh first round draft pick

We don't draft em. I think it's plain stupid. Look what we have, and it shows our flawed approach to the single most important position on the offense.
Drafted after the 3rd round:
- The kid in Buffalo, and his starting is basically an accident.
- Kirk Cousins, and he's got "PLACEHOLDER" written all over him

Drafted in the first 3 rounds who didn't start almost immediately:
- Garoppolo in New England, and the Pats have no real idea if he can even play. The last guy, Mallett, is playing for someone else-- great use of a 3rd round pick.

3 out of 32, those numbers don't lie.

You draft a QB when your starter is on his very last legs or done. And then you draft the best guy you possibly can in as early a round as possible.

Your backup should be a veteran who's started and won NFL games and is probably one step from retirement. Weeden's never won anything. He can close a game, but not start and win.

Top Bottom