Cowboys sign Dez Bryant to 5 year deal

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Crazy thought - Cowboys and Dez already have deal in place. Just not submitting it until last minute to hopefully hinder the Broncos
Possible... Think I heard though that Thomas's agency is being bought out by Dez's agency. I think this is why they know so much about the other's negotiations. If that's the case, then they probably wouldn't withhold that info.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
No shit! Haha. The NFLPA really fucked up.

So the question really is if Jerruh is cool with not making the playoffs this year.
I could be wrong, but I think you have to play at least 8 games to have an accrued year for free agency purposes, assuming no injury designation. Logan Mankins and Vincent Jackson in recent years held out on franchise tags and returned in October of those seasons.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
People bring this stuff up all the time. Truth be told my heart doesn't bleed for anyone in the NFL. Even the league minimum guys are making a shit ton of money to play a game. I don't blame Dez for trying to get paid what he deserves to get paid though. I'm not going to sit here and hate on the guy like he is immature for trying to get what is the going rate for his talent.
It's not about Dez wanting all the money he can get, it's about him being unrealistic and wanting to COST himself money in order to throw a tantrum over unrealistic Megatron money that he will never ever get.

townsend

Banned
It's not about Dez wanting all the money he can get, it's about him being unrealistic and wanting to COST himself money in order to throw a tantrum over unrealistic Megatron money that he will never ever get.
He could get it, just not from Dallas. A team like Jacksonville or Washington would fall over themselves to make Dez the highest paid WR in history.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't heard any reports of the Cowboys even offering Dez a reasonable contract amount. And yes on the open market Dez would probably get Megatron money. As in signing a deal in the 15 to 16 mil per year range.

Finally Dez hasn't thrown a tantrum. He has just stated that he won't be at camp without a deal in place. It's a smart business decision. I don't think he will actually miss games. I think Dez cares about winning too much for that. Hell he may be the most passionate player on the team when it comes to that aspect of things. With that being said, I can see financially why missing games to prevent a second franchise tag could be beneficial to him.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He could get it, just not from Dallas. A team like Jacksonville or Washington would fall over themselves to make Dez the highest paid WR in history.
Well, him not being on the open market is something the Union accepted in its bargaining agreement. His being upset over that is just his inability to accept the reality of his situation.

townsend

Banned
Well, him not being on the open market is something the Union accepted in its bargaining agreement. His being upset over that is just his inability to accept the reality of his situation.
Right, but the situation is he's a guy who deserved that contract and guaranteed money. By the rule Dallas can franchise him, but also by the rule he doesn't have to play football.

It's his only bargaining leverage. Of course he's going to use it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Right, but the situation is he's a guy who deserved that contract and guaranteed money. By the rule Dallas can franchise him, but also by the rule he doesn't have to play football.

It's his only bargaining leverage. Of course he's going to use it.
At the point where he starts actually blowing his money to be childish and he's hoping he costs the team a chance at the playoffs, not because he wants more money (which he can't get) but because he wants to be a petulant asshole about something he can't change, I have the opinion that he is being irresponsible.

townsend

Banned
At the point where he starts actually blowing his money to be childish and he's hoping he costs the team a chance at the playoffs, not because he wants more money (which he can't get) but because he wants to be a petulant asshole about something he can't change, I have the opinion that he is being irresponsible.
Depends on whether it works or not. He's definitely set himself up for failure though. The way this will likely play out is Stephen calling Dez's bluff. At which point Dez will not play and screw the entire season or play and look like an idiot. Hard to see a situation where this doesn't end with Dez on another team in 2016 or 2017.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How stupid will Bryant look if after all the threats to sit out and he doesn't get his deal then goes on to play the season opener. Everyone will say he was just pissing in the wind. It doesn't seem to be in your negotiating favor to run a bluff then back down. It can only hurt your image in the eyes of the public. So will he sit out or not? Some seem to think he is just posturing to get a deal done. The deal he wants probably won't happen so what does he do then? He will be losing money to continue his boycott but he will look dumb if he plays. It looks like a bad move for him either way.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah, cause he should totally be happy with 12 mill versus 90.
He'll never see 90, even if his contract has an overall value of 90 or more. He is pretty much guaranteed at least 25 mil if he is franchised the next 2 years. Poor Dez.

D

Deuce

He'll never see 90, even if his contract has an overall value of 90 or more. He is pretty much guaranteed at least 25 mil if he is franchised the next 2 years. Poor Dez.
I weep for him and his children.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I haven't heard any reports of the Cowboys even offering Dez a reasonable contract amount. And yes on the open market Dez would probably get Megatron money. As in signing a deal in the 15 to 16 mil per year range.

Finally Dez hasn't thrown a tantrum. He has just stated that he won't be at camp without a deal in place. It's a smart business decision. I don't think he will actually miss games. I think Dez cares about winning too much for that. Hell he may be the most passionate player on the team when it comes to that aspect of things. With that being said, I can see financially why missing games to prevent a second franchise tag could be beneficial to him.
It is a smart business decision? You realize he will not get game checks for the games he decides to sit out...752K per game he does not play in. Shrewd businessman.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a smart business decision? You realize he will not get game checks for the games he decides to sit out...752K per game he does not play in. Shrewd businessman.
Those are small amounts of money compared to the 50 mil in signing bonus he could get by preventing the franchise tag in 2016. You can't be so short sighted.

Personally I think the Cowboys and Dez both just need to get a deal done. I don't think either side is going to be happy with the results if they don't.

dallen

Senior Tech
I look forward to this being over in a few hours

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Of course he wants that.

The point is not what he wants though, it's what he and the team will agree to. He may want Megatron money, and the club may want to pay him Mike Wallace money, but both might settle for something in between.

Really not the point of my post... it's more about the insane idea that he should just be happy with $13 mil for one year. Everyone knows he's worth more than that and would command more than that on the open market.

Except the Cowboys are actually offering a multi year mega contract. It's not like they are offering just the franchise tag deal, take it or leave it.

The multi year mega contract they are offering is apparently not enough.

Too many people in this thread defending Dez based off him having the right to want to secure his long term future. The Cowboys are offering exactly that. So this is about money, nothing more.

Granted he has every right to ask for whatever he wants. But the fact that he is threatening to hold the franchise hostage over squeezing every last dollar makes me unhappy.

Top Bottom