NFLPA believes Cowboys, Broncos had contact about wideouts' deals

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Looking more and more like franchise, franchise, draft new WR.

I think the Packers did it right by drafting and signing very good WRs who Aaron Rodgers can make great rather than any single great WR who could hold the team hostage. They are paying 80m for both instead of 100m for just one.

"Elite" WRs want Calvin money, which no one in their right minds should pay. How is it the Patriots get away with signing Gronk for 6y/54m and just 13m guaranteed?

Maybe we franchise Dez and AJ Green's agent sets the market appropriately in 2016 so we can sign Dez long term then.
Both Nelson and Cobb could have gotten more on the open market, they gave the Packers somewhat team friendly deals.

If Dez is trying to hold the franchise hostage to get 150+ million and 50+ guaranteed, he can go fuck himself.

I suspect he'd take something like 6/90 with 40 guaranteed, which I'd be happy to give him. If the franchise is trying to get him to only take about 20-25 guaranteed, something is wrong there.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Both Nelson and Cobb could have gotten more on the open market, they gave the Packers somewhat team friendly deals.

If Dez is trying to hold the franchise hostage to get 150+ million and 50+ guaranteed, he can go fuck himself.

I suspect he'd take something like 6/90 with 40 guaranteed, which I'd be happy to give him. If the franchise is trying to get him to only take about 20-25 guaranteed, something is wrong there.
If the team is trying to get to take 20 mill guaranteed then the team can go fuck itself. To expect him to take half as much guaranteed as the LT is beyond ridiculous.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If the team is trying to get to take 20 mill guaranteed then the team can go fuck itself. To expect him to take half as much guaranteed as the LT is beyond ridiculous.
Yea that's what I meant when I said something is wrong, he deseerves about 35-45 guaranteed.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yea that's what I meant when I said something is wrong, he deseerves about 35-45 guaranteed.
Yeah, I knew you did. I was just agreeing and reinforcing the point.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If the franchise is trying to get him to only take about 20-25 guaranteed, something is wrong there.
Especially since franchising him twice gets him over 25 mil guaranteed for just two years alone.

No, I have a feeling Dez and Demaryius (and their agents) insistence on Calvin Johnson's deal as a benchmark is the problem.

Sorry, but give me three affordable professionals who know what the fuck they are doing on a football field and Tony Romo would go off. We might even be able to keep most of this OL intact and add a stud to the DL. I would love a few Brandon LaFell's over one Dez Bryant.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Especially since franchising him twice gets him over 25 mil guaranteed for just two years alone.

No, I have a feeling Dez and Demaryius (and their agents) insistence on Calvin Johnson's deal as a benchmark is the problem.

Sorry, but give me three affordable professionals who know what the fuck they are doing on a football field and Tony Romo would go off. We might even be able to keep most of this OL intact and add a stud to the DL. I would love a few Brandon LaFell's over one Dez Bryant.
:dunce

That's a retarded take, you completely left out the fact that those type guys need a genius offensive system and a HOF QB to excell.

data

Forbes #1
Chip Kelly's out to prove that you don't need players.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's a retarded take, you completely left out the fact that those type guys need a genius offensive system and a HOF QB to excell.
So now New England's offensive system is "genius"? How about just f'ing professional? Give Romo time and threaten the run and you'll see fine production from three of those guys. No one put posters of Laurent Robinson on their walls, but he did a damned fine job when he was in Dallas. Of course he can't replace Dez, but give me players like that and I'll bolster the DL and safety spots with the money saved.

Romo's proven he can produce when you bring in an actual professional and not our home-grown specials who don't know how to line up or run patterns. So while Dez is exciting and elite, I'd rather have three regular catches from WR's who know the rules and understand what they are doing plus a competent defense in place of one spectacular almost-catch followed by an emotional rant.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So now New England's offensive system is "genius"? How about just f'ing professional? Give Romo time and threaten the run and you'll see fine production from three of those guys. No one put posters of Laurent Robinson on their walls, but he did a damned fine job when he was in Dallas. Of course he can't replace Dez, but give me players like that and I'll bolster the DL and safety spots with the money saved.

Romo's proven he can produce when you bring in an actual professional and not our home-grown specials who don't know how to line up or run patterns. So while Dez is exciting and elite, I'd rather have three regular catches from WR's who know the rules and understand what they are doing plus a competent defense in place of one spectacular almost-catch followed by an emotional rant.
Our home grown WRs don't suck lately, Williams is a good #2 and Beasley is a solid #3 in the slot. One more at least as good as Williams and we could get by with that receiving corps.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Our home grown WRs don't suck lately, Williams is a good #2 and Beasley is a solid #3 in the slot. One more at least as good as Williams and we could get by with that receiving corps.
The problems with that Williams wouldnt be the #2 anymore. He will be covered by better cbs most likely and then Street is getting reps at #2.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We could get by, but to have a really great offense you have to have some elite play makers. Hell even Tom Brady needs to at least have a Gronkowski on offense. I mean I think Terrence Williams could be a 1000 yard guy in our offense if more balls came his way. That doesn't mean our offense overall would be nearly as good though. I think you need an elite guy to sort of run the passing game through if you want an elite offense. Dez is our only guy like that right now.

Now if you want to run a blah offense like the Seahawks have and get by with a great defense and a QB who can scramble all over the place that's an option too. The problem is we aren't close to that type of defense and Romo can't run and take a pounding like Russel can.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problems with that Williams wouldnt be the #2 anymore. He will be covered by better cbs most likely and then Street is getting reps at #2.
I think his point is if you get another Terrance Williams type talent you can get by. Basically if you have 2 really good #2 WR's the other team is still going to have to cover one of them with their lesser corner.

The problem is if you don't have a weapon like Dez requiring double teams you're unable to take another tackler out of the box. Or create a mismatch on one of your other guys. If you don't have a stud like him, you basically have no one creating that mismatch and drawing that attention.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
IMO, Williams is better than people think, there are just not enough footballs to go around to make his numbers really skyrocket. I think he could put up Randall Cobb numbers if given that number of targets. Problem is, in no universe do I see Street as being Jordy Nelson.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think his point is if you get another Terrance Williams type talent you can get by. Basically if you have 2 really good #2 WR's the other team is still going to have to cover one of them with their lesser corner.

The problem is if you don't have a weapon like Dez requiring double teams you're unable to take another tackler out of the box. Or create a mismatch on one of your other guys. If you don't have a stud like him, you basically have no one creating that mismatch and drawing that attention.
As long as both of your good #2s can get deep (Williams can), I can't see the other team going without safety help over the top all day and just daring us to make big plays. So, hypothetically, if we had 2 of Williams, IMO we would get by in the passing game.

I think the Packers are pretty elite on offense without an elite superstar receiving target, albeit with maybe the best QB in football, but they don't have the OL we have and have no commitment to running the football.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Witten can actually take on a primary role to shift coverage schemes. And yes I know he is a TE but he can pull double coverage if he becomes a primary target game plan.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Witten can actually take on a primary role to shift coverage schemes. And yes I know he is a TE but he can pull double coverage if he becomes a primary target game plan.
I love me some Witten but at this point in his career I don't think that's true at all. Just not athletic enough to really scare any defense that way.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Although not really elite on any Sunday either one of Cobb or Nelson can give you the elite WR. They are just not consistent with it week after week.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I love me some Witten but at this point in his career I don't think that's true at all. Just not athletic enough to really scare any defense that way.
His per catch average hasn't dropped,he is just getting less thrown his way now since Beasley has developed. I think he can still deliver though if called on.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
His per catch average hasn't dropped,he is just getting less thrown his way now since Beasley has developed. I think he can still deliver though if called on.
95% he was asked to run-block more, 5% age.

He was the most targeted player in the playoffs.

Top Bottom