Cowboys may sign Brian Waters

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm being 100% serious with this question, given a month of training camp at the age of 42 could Larry Allen start for us?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'm being 100% serious with this question, given a month of training camp at the age of 42 could Larry Allen start for us?
Hell yeah, and he could plug the void at DT as well.

Bring him back, Jerry! Announce it at the HOF induction!!!11!!!

:towel

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Hell yeah, and he could plug the void at DT as well.

Bring him back, Jerry! Announce it at the HOF induction!!!11!!!

:towel
I'm not asking because I think it's an option obviously, just to illustrate how shit our OG situation is.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He couldn't be any worse than our current guards, that's for sure.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If we sign Waters then we know any positives we are hearing about young guys like Leary, Kowalski, and Arlin is pretty much BS.
Pretty much. When it is obvious that DL schlubs can come in and make their presence known before the ink on their contract is dry you know it is BS.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The OL is clearly a disaster. Adding Frederick counters the decline of Livings and Bernadeau to a degree leaving us in the same place as last year-- to start. By the end of the year God only knows how bad this front will be.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We really need Leary to step up and win a spot, if he can upgrade one of the OG positions over last year, and Free has something of a bounce back year (shouldn't be hard considering a bounce back would mean not playing like absolute shit) we could be ok.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We really need Leary to step up and win a spot, if he can upgrade one of the OG positions over last year, and Free has something of a bounce back year (shouldn't be hard considering a bounce back would mean not playing like absolute shit) we could be ok.
Yeah, I've been saying that too, if all the chips fall our way on the OL (Free bounces back, Frederick is an instant quality starter, and Leary can take over one of the OG spots and play solidly) then that turns the OL from desperate weakness to merely not great but survivable.

But that's unlikely to all pan out in our favor.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I've been saying that too, if all the chips fall our way on the OL (Free bounces back, Frederick is an instant quality starter, and Leary can take over one of the OG spots and play solidly) then that turns the OL from desperate weakness to merely not great but survivable.

But that's unlikely to all pan out in our favor.
So an O-line with quality starters every where except one guard spot is considered survivable? (Assuming Tyrone Smith doesn't become better then just a quality LT) I think most O-lines have at least one weak player but maybe I am wrong.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The reports early have been good on Free from what I have read. Sounds like he lost a little weight, regained some athleticism, and is having a solid camp so far. Of course all that could be bullshit and the only reason he looks any better is because he is going against Ben Bass and other turds.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The reports early have been good on Free from what I have read. Sounds like he lost a little weight, regained some athleticism, and is having a solid camp so far. Of course all that could be bullshit and the only reason he looks any better is because he is going against Ben Bass and other turds.
Agreed, I'm hoping it's real but I'm definitely not banking on it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So an O-line with quality starters every where except one guard spot is considered survivable? (Assuming Tyrone Smith doesn't become better then just a quality LT) I think most O-lines have at least one weak player but maybe I am wrong.
I wouldn't consider a shaky Free and an uncertain Leary "quality." It's just better than what we had before. Those guys even as vast improvements would be no better than average.

Tyron Smith hasn't reached elite status yet and Frederick, even if it a hit, will still be a rookie. Just getting by on better performances from Free, Leary and Livings/Bernadeau/Waters would not turn this OL into a strength. Just something that may not sink us like it did last year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

He's hedging so that he'd still have something to blame when Garrett fails. :tippytoe

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Free's always managed to look competent in practice and camp because his biggest problems are with full-speed pass rushers and generating power in the running game.

His best just isn't good enough in games vs. most of the best pass rushers and his run blocking is very below average.

Hopefully he can at least be serviceable and thus a step up from what we have at guard. Offensive line has become a league-wide problem with the worst franchises being bitten strongest, but I'm still amazed (and after 20 years I shouldn't be!) again how stubbornly incompetent our front office has been with it.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 3m
“Any truth to the rumors about bringing in Brian Waters?” I have been to no.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Right now your starting OL is Smith, Leary, Frederick, Arkin, and Free with Livings, Bernadeau, and Costa on deck with Jerry-passes in hand. How does Romo not have nightmares?

I hope the Cowboys defense can wildly surpass expectations like in 2003, because with Orton running the show we'll see a million more runs, bunches of 3-step drops, and play action set up twice a half.

Top Bottom