Eagles’ Riley Cooper apologizes for using racial slur at Kenny Chesney concert

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Man, The Eagles and Pats are neck and neck for worst preseason/training camp in the league.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Will Allen expects Eagles WR Riley Cooper to become a target this season on the field

Cowboys safety Will Allen expects Riley Cooper to be targeted this season. Video released Wednesday showed the Eagles receiver using a racial slur in a disagreement with an African-American security guard at a Kenny Chesney concert in June.

"Absolutely. I’m just going to be honest," Allen said when asked if opposing defenders will go after Cooper. "You don’t want to see that, but somebody is. Somebody is going to be mad and perpetuate the negativity. I don’t think that’s something we should do, but I am sure it will happen."

Allen called Riley's use of the racial slur disappointing.

"It’s sad. It’s very disappointing," Allen said. "It’s very disappointing for anybody to have something negative said about any race. We live in a society know where we should all come together, whether gender or race. It’s just very sad and disappointing and there should be some repercussions for his actions. That’s just like somebody calling someone homosexual a negative slur. That’s not what you do, especially if you are African-American. I am extremely offended by it. I am sure everybody else is, whether you are African-American or not. We just don’t live in a society where that should be tolerated."

The Eagles are sending Cooper to sensitivity training and counseling, and Cooper apologized to his teammates Wednesday night. But Allen said the healing in the Eagles' locker room might take awhile.

"It would be very difficult," Allen said. "Whoever is the leader in that locker room should definitely sit down and talk to him, help him understand what he said, what he did, how he responded and how it affects the team, how it affects society, how it affects everyone around him. But then try to bring a positive out of it. I think whenever something negative like that happens, there needs to be somebody stepping up trying to bring some positivity to the situation. It’s very difficult I understand because it is a very hurtful thing. But we must all learn how to be positive in negative situations."

-- Charean Williams

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's the way it sounded to me. Like he intended it for one specific person or group within shouting distance. And while we can't get inside his head for intent the tone certainly came off as purposefully derisive and not general like you might intend when saying "I'll whip every son of a bitch in here."
See, that's what it sounded like to me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys players react to Riley Cooper slur

August, 1, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- Cowboys starting safeties, Will Allen and Barry Church said a racial slur used by Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper caught on video during a concert will make him a target of other players.

"Absolutely. I'm just going to be honest," Allen said after Thursday's walkthrough practice. "You don't want to see that somebody is going to be mad and perpetuate the negativity. I don't think it's something that we should do. I'm sure it will happen."

Church didn't know about the incident until a reporter told him.

"I feel like that’s one of the words you shouldn’t say at all," Church said. "Even as a black person, you shouldn’t say it. I mean, it’s unforgivable, but we’re all not perfect in this world. Everybody makes mistakes. I’ve made some myself. I’m offended by it, but if he apologized, I guess you’ve got to let bygones be bygones."

When asked if this put a target on Cooper, Church said "there are going to be players in the league that definitely are going to put a target on him. For me individually, if he apologized, I have no wrongdoing for him or harsh feelings for him. But there’s definitely going to be a target on him from other players in the league. I can tell you that much."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said on ESPN Radio the NFL will not punish Cooper for his use of a racial slur, but the Eagles fined him and ordered him to undergo sensitivity training.

In terms of how the locker room will handle Cooper, the Eagles' LeSean McCoy told the NFL Network that "I can't respect a guy like that." However, in a later interview with the Philadelphia Inquirer, McCoy said he forgave Cooper.

Cooper apologized to his teammates Wednesday.

"I'm sure it will be a difficult task with all the things going on in this world and just the divide we still have (as a society)," cornerback Brandon Carr said. "It's going to be a difficult task, but if you have the same goal, the same purpose, you should be able to move on and forgive. It's out of your control after that."

The Cowboys play their NFC East rivals at Philadelphia on Oct. 20 and in the regular-season finale Dec. 29 at AT&T Stadium.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Well since the security guard he was pissed off at was black, probably not.
Ohhhh, well, that changes the perspective for me.

It sounds like he went all Mel Gibson on him then.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Kenny Chesney: "Don't blame me for this shit, I don't know that motherfucker"

Paraphrasing of course.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol The Eagles have a bit of a mess here.

Local writers are saying they haven't done enough to discipline him. Local radio hosts are saying the same thing. A highly respected local reporter called for Cooper's release saying, (paraphrasing) "The Eagles made a statement that there is no place in society for this. So why is there still a place on your football team for it?"

On top of that, LeSean McCoy said on NFL Network that he can't respect a guy like that, and openly wondered if Cooper was showing his real colors.

An anonymous Eagles player said that the team told them to think of the team first in the wake of this incident, but he wonders why they should when Cooper wasn't likely thinking of the team when he said what he said.

Another anonymous Eagles player said that Andy Reid would have done a lot more than just fine him.

So now do you not only have a rift in the locker room now, you now have players questioning the new coach, and local reporters (and fans) strongly questioning the entire organization.

This coming off of a season last year where it was reported that the team was in such disarray and didn't like each other so much that players were eating lunch in their cars rather than spend time with each other.

I'd be surprised if Cooper survives the Eagles roster for very long. It's a big distraction right now. Riley Cooper isn't worth it.

Although it's been mentioned more than once that the Eagles will look like hypocrites if they let Cooper go over this, since this was the team that puffed its chest out over helping to resurrect and rehabilitate Michael Vick and gave Vick a second chance. No matter how bad you think what Cooper said is, it is hard to argue that it is worse than torturing and killing dogs.

:hahah
While I don't think he should lose his job over this, if there is a rift growing in the lockerroom I don't know if its worth keeping him around.

Especially for a new coach from college they will probably end up suspending him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Except for the fact that he was talking about a specific group of people in a specific way.

Are you just trying to overlook that?
Saying "I'll whip every sonofabitch in here" is also talking about a specific group of people in a specific way.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
On "Around the Horn" they were making it sound as if Church said he was going to target Cooper. But after reading that article I can see that they were probably full of shat.

2233boys

Not So New Member
On "Around the Horn" they were making it sound as if Church said he was going to target Cooper. But after reading that article I can see that they were probably full of shat.
Wow really they got that from what he said in that article? They are really trying to make some news. I

Carp

DCC 4Life
With Maclin lost for the year Cooper is more valuable than ever to the Eagles.

Top Bottom