Eagles’ Riley Cooper apologizes for using racial slur at Kenny Chesney concert

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Whoever the girl was that was with him knew he made a major faux pas as soon as the word came out of his mouth. She played the "if I scream loud enough I will distract everyone from noticing" gambit.

The irony was that the concert was that the Link. "No, nobody will recognize me here."
I am just curious what hillbilly "at the concert who wants to a be a fake socially conscious hipster so I feel better" was recording it.

I mean in that environment can someone explain the relevance?

Lookit, the N-word is not something that isn't uttered everyday.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
He should formally apologize for going to a Kenny Chesney concert.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Lurie has come out and bitched at him and the league is threatening sanctions.

It is just unreal how people are overreacting. He's a redneck, they kinda get drunk say that kinda stuff. It's a word. Get over it.
You can't just brush over something like this when it's a professional sports athlete.

I think the Eagles did the right thing by fining him. I don't think he deserves to be suspended but a hefty fine is indeed the right thing to do.

I have to give the Eagles props for acting quickly. If it were Cole Beasley that made this comment Jerry Jones probably would have drug his feet, made excuses for him, expressed his support for Cole and his family, then allowed the league to handle the discipline.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The Eagles are actually taking some heat locally for not doing enough to discipline him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You can't just brush over something like this when it's a professional sports athlete.

I think the Eagles did the right thing by fining him. I don't think he deserves to be suspended but a hefty fine is indeed the right thing to do.

I have to give the Eagles props for acting quickly. If it were Cole Beasley that made this comment Jerry Jones probably would have drug his feet, made excuses for him, expressed his support for Cole and his family, then allowed the league to handle the discipline.
My point is that I strongly doubt that word has never been spoken on a practice field or in a locker room. When does it become acceptable and then worthy of punishment?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
My point is that I strongly doubt that word has never been spoken on a practice field or in a locker room. When does it become acceptable and then worthy of punishment?
Because he said it with hate. HATE, booze. Christ almighty, we have to eliminate hate in this country.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Herr Goodell has stated the league will not take action. That is smart because it is a team matter.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 25m
From CBA on conduct detrimental: "Max fine of an amt equal to 1 week's salary and/or suspension w/o pay for a period not to exceed 4 weeks."

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 23m
Riley Cooper's salary for '13 is $630K. So by rule, w/o suspending him, the max the Eagles can fine him for conduct detrimental is $37,058.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Gabe Feldman ‏@SportsLawGuy 41m
To be clear, NFL plyr can't be punished by tm & league for same conduct. If tm acts first, any later commish discipline would supersede it

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Gabe Feldman ‏@SportsLawGuy 41m
To be clear, NFL plyr can't be punished by tm & league for same conduct. If tm acts first, any later commish discipline would supersede it
LoL. Herr Godell gets no kudos for not acting. In fact he gets negative points for making it sound like it was his choice not to do something.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Fact of the matter is if he didn't do it on video, no one would have ever done a damn thing about it. He shouldn't have said it but it is hardly something bounty worthy.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Because he said it with hate. HATE, booze. Christ almighty, we have to eliminate hate in this country.
Unfortunately this is one of those instances where we're dealing with an acceptable double standard. But I agree. If you're going to fine a white player for saying the word then all players should be subjected to the same fine. Whether they're black, white, or latino.

That said, I don't know if Schmitty was simply being facetious but context does matter. I truly believe if he were caught saying something like "Me and my niggas are going to hit up that new Wolverine flick", then I don't think this would have blown up as much as it has. But since he's clearly drunk and angry when he says it, it carries a different meaning.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I was being facetious; that said, I do agree that context matters, however, I also think that this is substantially overblown.

He wasn't saying "me and my niggas are going to hit up that new Wolverine flick" but he also wasn't saying "Those black people are disgusting niggas, I hate them all."

Still think the term, even as he used it drunk and angry, was slang-ish (think "I'll fight all the hoodlums in here") and not used in the historically derisive context, ie, "You are a nigga and therefore subhuman."

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The guy said it with malicious intent.

Or do you think he would have called a white guy a nigger?

If you call a Hispanic person a wetback, you're insulting that person with the specific intent to insult and disrespect them based on their race.

That's what Cooper did here, so to try and and downplay it as it not being a big deal because blacks use the term as well or some such reason is just nonsense.

He used that word specifically to insult a black man and he knew exactly what he was doing.

Last edited:

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
The guy said it with malicious intent.

Or do you think he would have called a white guy a nigger?

If you call a Hispanic person a wetback, you're insulting that person with the specific intent to insult and disrespect them based on their race.

That's what Cooper did here, so to try and and downplay it as it not being a big deal because blacks use the term as well or some such reason is just nonsense.

He used that word specifically to insult a black man and he knew exactly what he was doing.
That's the way it sounded to me. Like he intended it for one specific person or group within shouting distance. And while we can't get inside his head for intent the tone certainly came off as purposefully derisive and not general like you might intend when saying "I'll whip every son of a bitch in here."

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
:lol The Eagles have a bit of a mess here.

Local writers are saying they haven't done enough to discipline him. Local radio hosts are saying the same thing. A highly respected local reporter called for Cooper's release saying, (paraphrasing) "The Eagles made a statement that there is no place in society for this. So why is there still a place on your football team for it?"

On top of that, LeSean McCoy said on NFL Network that he can't respect a guy like that, and openly wondered if Cooper was showing his real colors.

An anonymous Eagles player said that the team told them to think of the team first in the wake of this incident, but he wonders why they should when Cooper wasn't likely thinking of the team when he said what he said.

Another anonymous Eagles player said that Andy Reid would have done a lot more than just fine him.

So now do you not only have a rift in the locker room now, you now have players questioning the new coach, and local reporters (and fans) strongly questioning the entire organization.

This coming off of a season last year where it was reported that the team was in such disarray and didn't like each other so much that players were eating lunch in their cars rather than spend time with each other.

I'd be surprised if Cooper survives the Eagles roster for very long. It's a big distraction right now. Riley Cooper isn't worth it.

Although it's been mentioned more than once that the Eagles will look like hypocrites if they let Cooper go over this, since this was the team that puffed its chest out over helping to resurrect and rehabilitate Michael Vick and gave Vick a second chance. No matter how bad you think what Cooper said is, it is hard to argue that it is worse than torturing and killing dogs.

:hahah

Top Bottom