Garrett says Romo won’t play in Hall of Fame game

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett says Romo won’t play in Hall of Fame game

Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2013, 7:27 AM EDT

For the Hall of Fame game, seeing starters play usually is a blink-and-you-missed-it proposition. As to Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, you may be able to miss him without blinking.

Coach Jason Garrett told 105.3 The Fan on Friday that Romo may not make the usual starting-quarterback cameo in the extra preseason game that the Cowboys will play against the Dolphins.

Which, of course, will make a meaningless preseason game even more meaningless.

“It’s one of those deals where I suppose he could play five plays or whatever, but we might lean to no plays,’’ Garrett said. “But the clock starts on our [first-teamers] in Week Two of the preseason. So that’s not going to be Tony’s game.’’

Based on the front end of the answer, Romo may play a little bit. Based on the back end of the answer, he won’t be playing at all. Which makes sense, given that Romo had offseason surgery to remove a cyst from his back, causing him to miss the offseason program and to be limited in training camp, so far.

Backup Kyle Orton also apparently won’t play.

“That’s going to be a Nick Stephens game and an Alex Tanney game,” Garrett said.

Which, unless Tanney will be doing his trick shots during the game, could make this year’s Hall of Fame game a bit lame.

But millions will still tune in to watch it because: (1) it’s football; (2) it’s not baseball; and (3) it’s on TV.
------------------

Good lord. Whotta snoozefest.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Even Orton's too important to play? Then that's gotta apply to Ware, Lee, Dez, etc.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Romo played the first two series of the HOFG a few years ago against Cincy, so I'm not sure why Red had a change of heart.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Even Orton's too important to play? Then that's gotta apply to Ware, Lee, Dez, etc.
It had better apply to those other players.

I've never understand why fans allow themselves to be price gouged for these worthless pre-season games.

Aside from the 3rd game, they're nothing more than glorified scrimmages featuring fringe players.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Romo played the first two series of the HOFG a few years ago against Cincy, so I'm not sure why Red had a change of heart.
Probably has something to do with the rash of injuries this team faced. I don't recall it ever being this bad.

One week into camp and guys are dropping like flies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Archer tweeted that Romo said he wants to play...we shall see.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I couldn't care less if Romo, Ware, Dez, Witten, etc. play or not, in these first two preseason games all that I'm really interested in seeing are the rookies, 2nd year players and such.

I'm looking forward to that 4th preseason game though (3rd normally) against the Bengals where the starters will go 2+ quarters, Atkins is one of the best interior pass-rushers in the league and we'll get to see how Frederick and our interior in general can handle him over extended reps.

dallen

Senior Tech
Don't you have to volunteer to participate in the HOF game? What is the point of signing up them sitting all your players?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don't you have to volunteer to participate in the HOF game? What is the point of signing up them sitting all your players?
Jerry volunteered the Cowboys because of Larry Allen's induction.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Romo says he'll play a series at most in Hall of Fame game, despite not practicing in offseason

The Cowboys play their first exhibition game Sunday in Canton, and Romo might or might not play. Coach Jason Garrett has said sitting out Romo is a consideration, with the Cowboys playing five preseason games, but they have not decided yet.

“I always like to play,” Romo said. “But we’ll do whatever the coach says. That’s part of being a team. We’ve got to get some guys some looks and do some things.”

The last time the Cowboys played in the Hall of Fame Game, in 2010, Romo played one series. He completed 5-of-10 passes for 59 yards, leaving after leading the Cowboys on a field-goal drive.

He doesn’t agree with the theory that he needs more playing time because of his absence this offseason.

“If I did play, it would be a series,” Romo said. “Whether you went eight plays or three plays, I’m not sure how much that is going to affect that. Saying that, I still want to play every time I suit up. Every time I step out there, your juices are flowing, and you want to compete. From that perspective, yeah, but whatever the coaches want.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Top Bottom