Sabin: Jerry Jones celebrates victory over Giants with Cheshire cat grin

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones celebrates victory over Giants with Cheshire cat grin: ‘You can’t get much more out of a win’
By Rainer Sabin
rsabin@dallasnews.com
9:55 pm on November 24, 2013 | Permalink

Dallas Cowboys strong safety Jeff Heath runs a New York Giants interception back for a touchdown during the first half of their game Sunday, November 24, 2013 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. (G.J. McCarthy/The Dallas Morning News(

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Jerry Jones made the rounds in the MetLife Stadium locker room, beaming a big smile after the Cowboys’ 24-21 victory over the New York Giants on Sunday.

He stopped to congratulate tight end Jason Witten, snaked his way past equipment bags to shake the hand of defensive tackle Jason Hatcher and popped over to linebacker Bruce Carter’s stall to offer a few words of encouragement. Then, the owner sidled up to quarterback Tony Romo and praised him.

These are Jones’ guys and he’s paid good money for their services. Jones is quick to remind people of that when he’s asked to explain why he continues to act as the team’s general manager despite the Cowboys’ unimpressive 134-133 regular-season record since 1997.

He did so again last week when Jones made a series of headline-grabbing comments that raised eyebrows from coast to coast.

In a span of five days, he expressed his desire to remain the organization’s chief decision-maker the next 15 to 20 years, extolled his recent performance as general manager, told reporters head coach Jason Garrett would be back in 2014, said he wanted more production from Romo and verbalized his support of beleaguered defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

Jones made all of these remarks as the Cowboys were preparing for a game against the Giants that many, including the owner himself, believed could decide the team’s fate this season.

“We didn’t need the Giants to beat us in here tonight,” Jones said. “They were the favorites and our franchise, our year, didn’t need this. I think everybody sensed it but certainly…it would have been sad times over these next coming weeks had we not won this game tonight.”

But on Sunday afternoon, Jones watched his team prevail. He saw Garrett, the coach he gave a vote of confidence, deliver one of the most significant victories of his tenure.

He observed Romo, the quarterback he paid $55 million of guaranteed money this off-season, lead a game-winning drive. And he witnessed Kiffin’s widely-panned defense rise to the occasion by limiting the Giants to 356 total yards and two touchdowns.

Not surprisingly, a wide Cheshire cat grin was affixed to Jones, the face of the franchise.

“You can’t get much more out of a win than you’re going to get out of this one,” Jones said.

The victory came against a rival that has dominated Jones’ thoughts in recent seasons. The Giants of recent vintage are the team Jones thinks the Cowboys can become. After seeing the 2011 Giants rise from a 9-7 outfit to Super Bowl champion, Jones believes Dallas can take a similar path if it can just qualify for the playoffs – something it hasn’t done since 2009. It’s why he said last week on KRLD-FM the Cowboys have “been a lot closer than it seems.” And it’s why he doesn’t agree with the notion that he needs to give up his role as general manager in an effort to spark improvement. In fact, he dismisses it entirely.

“It’s an absolute labor of love and a privilege to be critiqued if the Cowboys aren’t doing good,” Jones said. “…I don’t like it. I want to do something about it to change it. But I don’t agree with what some people want me to do to change it. I hope no one thinks I am going to listen to that.”

Jones continued to smile. In the afterglow of victory, he felt even more emboldened and enthused about a team that scored a major triumph Sunday. That was made obvious when Jones was asked about the upcoming Super Bowl to be held at MetLife Stadium in February. Jones said it would be great, shrugging off concerns about the weather.

“I hope we’re in it,” he added.

Minutes later, Jones, the eternal optimist, went back to patting backs and shaking hands.

“It is an honor to get to be with the team, the league and the game,” he said.

And he’s not walking way from any of it. Instead he’ll remain front and center, where he has been for the last 25 seasons.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I can't even enjoy a victory for a few hours without that motherfucker popping up somewhere with his circus wagon full of snake oil.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Tell me , which one of you if you owned the team would not do the same? I sure would.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Tell me , which one of you if you owned the team would not do the same? I sure would.
Making yourself the face of the franchise and putting your ego ahead of the team for 2 decades? Honestly say, no...no I wouldn't.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Making yourself the face of the franchise and putting your ego ahead of the team for 2 decades? Honestly say, no...no I wouldn't.
He visited the locker room after an important victory. It's not the same as the up front shenanigans he does with the media in a public forum. I don't have a problem with a locker room visit. It is a morale booster for the players.

Last edited:

superpunk

Banned
8. I think under the category of “Contracts They’d Love To Have Back,” I give you Cortland Finnegan, the 108th- and lowest-rated cornerback in the NFL after 11 weeks, according to ProFootballFocus.com. The Rams paid him $50 million over five years in 2012, and place him on injured-reserve Saturday … after he’d allowed 76.5 percent of the passes to his men to be complete, and allowed opposing quarterbacks a 136.0 rating on passes thrown in his area. Finnegan’s due $26 million in his last three years, including a $3 million roster guarantee next year, so you can bet the Rams will try to make him take a financial haircut next spring.
Thanks, Jerry.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
He visited the locker room after an important victory. It's not the same as the up front shenanigans he does with the media in a public forum. I don't have a problem with a locker room visit. It is a moral booster for the players.
Jerry Jones visiting the locker room after a win is a morale booster for the players? Which players told you that?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I would not.

I'd definitely be at every game and living it up as an owner, but I would hire good people to run the show.

Just like if I won the lottery...I'd invest the money into people who could take care of it for me.

Jerry sees it differently than we do. Success is dollars, not SuperBowls. He knows how to make people buy things...but no matter how much he spends, he'll never get another.

No longer happy enough to just make money, he's hi-jacked our beloved team.

He used to say that he doesn't "own" the Dallas Cowboys, he just takes care of them. Do you really believe that to be the case?

I have no doubt that Jerry has the very best of intentions. I'm sure he really wants to win another Super Bowl (even if I think he only wants it to give himself credit), but his way does not work. It has not worked without Jimmy. That's what it boils down to at this point.

He is in this game to prove to everyone that he CAN do it without Jimmy, and he's taken our team hostage to prove this.

I would hope that most DCC'ers would realize, even if it takes a couple years, that you have to have good people running your team.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Agree with McNuttz.

It'd be possible to be around the team and involved without being an incompetent manager at the same time.

Look at Mark Cuban.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jerry Jones visiting the locker room after a win is a morale booster for the players? Which players told you that?
Obviously no one but who doesn't enjoy an atta boy from their boss.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Agree with McNuttz.

It'd be possible to be around the team and involved without being an incompetent manager at the same time.

Look at Mark Cuban.
Cuban is about as visible as you can be as an owner. He and Jones have different levels of ego.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Agree with McNuttz.

Look at Mark Cuban.
Cuban is pretty bad example...he is an attention whore and is involved is transactions.

Robert Kraft would have been a better choice.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Every time we win, Jerry thinks he's completely vindicated by doing things "his way." Problem is, the good times never last for long.

Top Bottom