Bruce Irvin suspended for violating PED policy

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bruce Irvin suspended for violating PED policy

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 17, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT

The Seahawks bought pass-rushers in bulk this offseason, and it’s a good thing they did.

The league announced that Seahawks defensive end Bruce Irvin has been suspended four games for violating the league’s policy on performance enhancing substances.

He can still take part in offseason workouts, training camp and the preseason, but won’t be eligible to play until after their Sept. 29 game against the Texans.

Irvin had 8.0 sacks as a rookie, but was being counted on for more this year.

“I want to apologize to my teammates, coaches and Seahawks fans for making a mistake when I took a substance that is prohibited in the NFL without a medical exemption,” Irvin said in a statement released by the team. “I am extremely disappointed in the poor judgment I showed and take full responsibility for my actions. I will not appeal the discipline and instead will focus my energy on preparing for the season so I can begin earning your trust and respect again. I look forward to contributing to the team the moment I return.”

Mentioning the lack of a medical exemption makes it sound like this one’s going to be blamed on Adderall.

His absence for the first month justifies their offseason additions of Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is the Bruce we were all expecting. Welcome back dude.
Sounds like the program Pete Carroll is running is not all above board.

Maybe that explains why we suck. We are too ethical.

The last time we won anything, we were snorting coke off of whore's asses. We were the same way in the 1970s too.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a 4 game suspension come after the second hot test? If so, getting popped twice before you've been in the league for an entire year is extra stupid.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a 4 game suspension come after the second hot test? If so, getting popped twice before you've been in the league for an entire year is extra stupid.
No, a four game suspension is automatic upon failing your first PED test. A 4 game suspension comes after failing a second drug test, but it's automatic with PEDs.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No, a four game suspension is automatic upon failing your first PED test. A 4 game suspension comes after failing a second drug test, but it's automatic with PEDs.
Ahh, ok. Thanks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Six Seahawks have tested positive for PEDs since 2011[/h] Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2013, 12:38 AM EDT

Plenty of players test positive for performance enhancing drugs. But the Seahawks definitely are in the midst of a troubling trend.

As pointed out by Eric D. Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune, defensive end Bruce Irvin has become the sixth Seahawks player to test positive for performance enhancing drugs since 2011.'

The others are cornerback Brandon Browner, safety Winston Guy, offensive lineman John Moffitt, offensive lineman Allen Barbre, and cornerback Richard Sherman.
Sherman’s suspension was overturned on appeal, based on irregularities with the sample-collection process. Officially, then, he tested positive but the league determined that he did not violate the PED policy.

Irvin’s suspension also proves that, no matter how good a team looks on paper in May, plenty of things can happen to derail what appears to be a certain Super Bowl run.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Ahh, ok. Thanks.
No problem. The CBA specifically identifies the punishments for each of those violations to remove any potential confusion.

Top Bottom