Adrian Peterson says he's 'not with' gay marriage

Smitty

DCC 4Life
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- NFL MVP Adrian Peterson says he has family members who are gay whom he loves and respects. But on gay marriage, the Minnesota Vikings running back says ''that's not something I believe in.''

Peterson made his comments in a recent interview with Sirius/XM NFL radio. He was asked his thoughts on the Vikings cutting longtime punter Chris Kluwe, an outspoken advocate for gay rights and gay marriage.

Peterson says he considers Kluwe a good friend. He says: ''I have relatives who are gay. I'm not biased towards them. I still treat them the same. I love 'em. But again, I'm not with that. That's not something I believe in. But to each his own.''

Gay marriage will become legal in Minnesota on Aug. 1.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
The irony is that he probably has a white girlfriend that he wouldn't have been allowed to marry not so long ago.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
He's voicing his personal opinion. That seems totally acceptable to me.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
:lol

You're the man, Skid.
I don't know what that means in relation to what I said.

It seems like AP doesn't agree with gay marriage. With his current understanding and life experiences that is where he is personally. I agree with him but probably for different reason. Having the government sign off on, stop, promote, help or punish people for being married is dumb. That goes for straight and gay people alike.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Having the government sign off on, stop, promote, help or punish people for being married is dumb. That goes for straight and gay people alike.
This we can completely agree on.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- NFL MVP Adrian Peterson says he has family members who are gay whom he loves and respects. But on gay marriage, the Minnesota Vikings running back says ''that's not something I believe in.''

Peterson made his comments in a recent interview with Sirius/XM NFL radio. He was asked his thoughts on the Vikings cutting longtime punter Chris Kluwe, an outspoken advocate for gay rights and gay marriage.

Peterson says he considers Kluwe a good friend. He says: ''I have relatives who are gay. I'm not biased towards them. I still treat them the same. I love 'em. But again, I'm not with that. That's not something I believe in. But to each his own.''

Gay marriage will become legal in Minnesota on Aug. 1.
To say that one isn't biased toward a homosexual because you "treat them the same" and then to say that they shouldn't be able to get married is, in fact, a bias. You either want a person to have the same liberties and opportunities as any other natural born American citizen or you don't.

Obviously, the simplest and most rational solution is to get the Government - all governments - out of the marriage business. Then, it won't be an issue.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To say that one isn't biased toward a homosexual because you "treat them the same" and then to say that they shouldn't be able to get married is, in fact, a bias. You either want a person to have the same liberties and opportunities as any other natural born American citizen or you don't.
Technically speaking they already do have the same liberties and opportunities. Straight people also aren't able to marry people of the same sex.

With that being said in the end I am still on the same side of the fence as you, I just think a lot of the arguments people use when it comes to gay marriage are just bullshit. I think gay marriage should be allowed because I am all for additional freedoms. I think the arguments against gay marriage are just as silly.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Since he ends the statement by saying "to each his own" I'm not sure he's saying gay marriage should be illegal. He seems to just be saying he's personally not comfortable with it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Since he ends the statement by saying "to each his own" I'm not sure he's saying gay marriage should be illegal. He seems to just be saying he's personally not comfortable with it.
He is one among many who feel this way. His preferences should remain his and let governments legislate as it will.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm in favor of doing away with government recognition of marriage.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'd say he's just a fucking moron looking at some of his quotes in the past.

A guy who would be slinging crack if he hadn't of won the athletic genetic lottery.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I can't see any reason why anyone would be upset about him stating his opinion on this matter. He was in no way insulting and expanded on a topic that stemmed from the radio personality bringing up the cutting of Kluwe.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I can't see any reason why anyone would be upset about him stating his opinion on this matter. He was in no way insulting and expanded on a topic that stemmed from the radio personality bringing up the cutting of Kluwe.
You're supposed to be able to state your opinions if you wish to, but in current media culture it's seen as inappropriate if those beliefs run contrary to their accepted ideas of what's right. And opposition to gay marriage -- in any way -- is not acceptable to liberal sensibilities so for those who hold those beliefs, which includes roughly 85% of the media, it's "news" when someone of note breaks ranks with what they have deemed the only right and moral position on an issue.

Top Bottom