The OTA/Mini Camp Thread...

Carp

DCC 4Life
Ummm...you posted earlier that Parnell is out with a hamstring today, so not sure who else you are going to have a RT with the ones.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ummm...you posted earlier that Parnell is out with a hamstring today, so not sure who else you are going to have a RT with the ones.
Exactly my point. We should have someone else. We should have signed someone.

Cotton

Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 8s
Offensive line creating some space for these backs, the ones and twos. Costa and Kowalski holding up well.

Cotton

Staff member
Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 21s
James Hanna comes down with a nice 1 handed grab on a high throw from Orton
Expand

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 29s
Ronald Leary now getting work with first team at RG.
Expand

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 1m
Arkin still working at RG with ones with Bernadeau still out.
Expand

Cotton

Staff member
Man, from all accounts Dez is looking damn good. :towel

Cotton

Staff member
Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 8s
Nate Livings takes right knee brace off. He might be done for the day.
Expand

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 21s
TE Colin Cochart has done some nice things in the 2 open OTAs.
Expand

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 4m
Crawford is too much for Coughman around the edge. Was struggling with some back tightness last week.

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 54s
Sean Lee working as personal protector in punt drills. Interesting.

Cotton

Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 2m
“@mavs2011champs0: How can your really tell without pads? They cant be going close to 100 percent" Great point! Why am I even here?

Broaddus acts like such a little bitch at times.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
My gut tells me that Barry Church will be one of the starting safeties and the other one will come from Matt Johnson, Will Allen, J.J. Wilcox and Jakar Hamilton.
Well, your gut must be channeling Nostradamus.

Lotuseater

Banned
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 2m
“@mavs2011champs0: How can your really tell without pads? They cant be going close to 100 percent" Great point! Why am I even here?

Broaddus acts like such a little bitch at times.
And a complete ass kissing booby the rest of the time.

Cotton

Staff member
Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 1m
Jason Witten ends 2-minute drill with TD down Seam after beating Matt Johnson
Expand

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 1m
Witten beat Matt Johnson to the end zone for a TD.
Expand

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 1m
Williams and Austin haven't come off the field in this 2 minute drill. Good experience for the rookie. Witten just got inside of Johnson TD.

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 3m
Ok. Dez the drama king.
Expand

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 4m
Dez the drama queen is back. Think he had surgery during the two plays he missed.
Expand

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 5m
Looks like the coaches are going to give Williams a real shot at this 3rd WR spot. Have him working outside with Austin in slot.
Expand

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 5m
Dez looks like he got hit in the side. Lying on the ground grabbing g his side.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 29s
Tanner is really catching the ball well in this camp. Hasn't fought it at all. Very natural.

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 2s
JJ Wilcox ends practice with a pick of Nick Stephens.

Cotton

Staff member
Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 8m
DeMarco said he should be able to get some practice in tomorrow. Also said he will play 16 games

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I kind of think Kowalski has a shot at being solid and I'm crossing my fingers on Leary too. But there's just no excuse for having no other options at RT. It's a joke.

Imagine if Tyron Smith goes down for the season. Our starting tackles would be Free and Parnell. That's downright scary. That's Pettiti/Tucker territory.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Nate Livings leaves early with knee injury

May, 28, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Left guard Nate Livings was unable to finish Tuesday’s organized team activity after getting his right knee examined by head athletic Jim Maurer and he could need a precautionary MRI.

Livings had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in the offseason but had not missed any workouts. He was bothered for much of last year by the injury but started every game.

A source close to Livings said he was fine.

Livings’ absence meant the Cowboys were without their two starters. Mackenzy Bernadeau is rehabilitating from offseason shoulder surgery. Bernadeau, who missed all of last year’s offseason because of hip surgery and part of training camp because of knee surgery, could return for the June 11-13 minicamp. He is working through individual drills but has not worked in 11-on-11 drills.

Livings and Ronald Leary rotated with the first team Tuesday. David Arkin started in Bernadeau’s absence.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Brandon George ‏@dmn_george 13m #Cowboys DL Jason Hatcher on 8-8: "I’m tired of this. "My time is winding down. I want to know what it tastes like to win as a starter."

Brandon George ‏@dmn_george 11m
#Cowboys DE Anthony Spencer said he's about 10 pounds heavier right now than the 252 he was last year. But said he'd lose some in camp.

#Cowboys safety Matt Johnson: "I want to prove that I can be a play-maker, and hopefully they’re starting to see that."

#Cowboys safety Matt Johnson on Tampa 2: "It’s not super complicated scheme-wise, but it’s super complicated to be great at it."

Matt Johnson: "A lot of people that went through a year like I did last year ended up on the street or somewhere else. I feel very fortunate

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 23m
Anthony Spencer on where he is with contract talks: "I still want to get something done, so I'm not where I want to be."

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Wow.... breaking news there.

• With Mackenzy Bernadeau sitting again this week during team periods, we will once again seeRonald Leary getting more of the reps with the ones. Leary has been playing on both the left and right side without any major issues. Matter of fact, there have been some reps where he has shown some veteran awareness helping Travis Frederick with handling games upfront. Frederick tends to lose track where the twist is coming from and Leary has been there to save him from giving up a pressure. Leary was also done a nice job of getting outside and making the screens look better.
Ron Leary turning into something and taking that job away from Bernadeau would be huge. It might mean there was half a chance for this OL to be mildly average this season, if Frederick also pans out and Free rebounds to an average level. That would leave not a single position that would be a downright disaster, whereas last year three positions were complete trainwrecks (and depending on the game, four with Livings).

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Exactly my point. We should have someone else. We should have signed someone.
At this point, now that he's taken the pay cut, it's clear this is what we're going with.

Sucks but what are you gonna do?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Ron Leary turning into something and taking that job away from Bernadeau would be huge. It might mean there was half a chance for this OL to be mildly average this season, if Frederick also pans out and Free rebounds to an average level. That would leave not a single position that would be a downright disaster, whereas last year three positions were complete trainwrecks (and depending on the game, four with Livings).
Problem is we're needing miracles from both Leary and Free/Parnell and each position depends on the other. The guard next to Doug Free needs to be an absolute beast of a run blocker to compensate for Free's inability to lead like a normal RT. When Leonard Davis blocked well, Free was awesome as a RT in 2009. That puts a lot of pressure on Leary, and his upper limit is probably just above average.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: Wilber Finds Right Spot, Costa Finishing Blocks

Posted 1 hour ago

Bryan BroaddusFootball Analyst/Scout

Here are some thoughts from practice during Organized Team Activities:

•I have to admit that I have been very critical of the play of Phil Costa, and I fully supported the front office making a move to try and upgrade the position. Costa managed to play a limited amount of plays against the Giants on opening night after missing the majority of the pre-season, then came back against the Ravens and played a significant role in the offensive output in that game before he suffered another injury the following week against the Panthers that ended his season. The front office did draft that center that I thought they needed in Travis Frederick and have put him in the lineup here day one. For Costa, it has never been easy, and despite the fact that he is running with the second line, he has honestly had reps in this zone scheme where he has been better than Frederick. The one trait that Costa has always had is his ability to play on his feet and when he is required to do that, he has been good. When Costa has been asked to play with power one-on-one, that’s when you see him have the most trouble. From what I have observed in the way that this group is now trying to run the ball, he really is better suited to take a hard step play side, grab his man with his free hand, then hook him for position. There have been plays in pass protection where he has been helpful to these young guards in keeping his position on his set, not getting turned and keeping the front of the pocket square. To Costa’s credit, you do see him working to finish blocks when given the opportunity which is far better than I believed that he could do.

•There have been plenty of folks on Twitter that have asked me what my thoughts were for this season’s break out player which makes me always think about who I said last year’s player was. Sean Lissemore was that player for me, but injuries robbed him of a great deal of his season. Still I am not trying to make excuses for him, but I really thought that he was going to be that rotational player that was going to play 25 to 30 snaps a game with plenty of pressures and tackles behind the line. For Lissemore, it was a struggle once he came back into the lineup and quite frankly wasn’t the same player from the previous this season. Well this week, Lissemore was back in the mix and he looks healthy. The quickness and the power appeared to be back on several reps like it was two seasons ago when he played inside as a nickel rusher. What I have always liked about Lissemore is his ability to work his way up the field but using pass rush techniques and there were times last season where I didn’t see that but it appears to be back. This scheme which is allowing him to play as a one is a much better fit than when he had to play as a nose. When he can line up on the inside shoulder of the guard and attack that gap instead of having to play with his hands and two gap, he is a more productive player. Maybe he will have that break out season that I expected in 2012.

•When the coaching staff changes were announced after the first of the year and I learned that there was going to be a switch to the 4-3 defense, I took the current roster to try and project where these players were going to line up. The one player I had the most trouble where there was going to be a fit was with Kyle Wilber. Depending on whom you asked in the front office or scouts, there seemed to be some questions as well. I heard that Wilber would compete for the SAM linebacker spot, then I heard he would be a defensive end, then back to linebacker. He really was a player without a position because at Wake Forest he had played as a defensive end before the team switched to a 3-4 scheme and he was moved to Will linebacker. Through the first five OTA practices, it looks like he has found a home as a defensive end backing up both DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer. Where Wilber has seen the majority of his reps is on the right side as Ware recovers from his shoulder surgery. The good thing from an

evaluation standpoint for the coaches is that Wilber is having to battle Tyron Smith each day, and that is making Wilber have to step up his game because if you rush Smith with less than your best, he will use his power and reach to stop you dead in your tracks or he will drive you up the field and to the ground like he has with Wilber. Where Wilber has become better is with his pass rush and his ability to separate. He has also put on some good weight going from the 240’s to 255 and you can see this when he is playing the run to his side. Wilber looks more comfortable with his hand in the dirt than he did playing on two feet. If the scheme change was good for guys like Bruce Carter and Sean Lissemore, it appears to be even better for Kyle Wilber, because it allows him to rush the passer and that’s a skill set he has.

Top Bottom