Watkins: Cowboys deal with offensive line changes

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys deal with offensive line changes

August, 25, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- There were first-team offensive line switches from the Cowboys on Saturday night in a victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Doug Free moved to right guard, Mackenzy Bernadeau played left guard and Jermey Parnell started at right tackle.

Quarterback Tony Romo was sacked twice, though one was a coverage sack and another defender came through the line untouched. Overall the running attack behind DeMarco Murray and Phillip Tanner combined for 90 yards between them behind the first-team line which played for a little more than three quarters.

Romo completed 13 of 18 passes for 137 yards with two touchdowns in five first-half possessions.

"A lot of stuff to look at," said Free who declined further comment regarding the offensive line play.

"We won't know until we look at the tape, but he's been doing a really good job there and he's really a smart player," Romo said of Free. "Not everybody can make an adjustment like that, especially not in really one week. I think it's a testament to Doug's ability to play both those positions (right tackle and right guard). Not unlike what I said about the wide receivers, the flexibility that gives us sometimes, is really, really a big deal to have a guy who can do multiple positions."

Injuries and ineffective play have forced the Cowboys to juggle the offensive line this summer. The team was rebuffed by veteran guard Brandon Moore on a one-year deal. Moore decided to retire. Another veteran guard, Brian Waters hasn't accepted a contract from the Cowboys and it appears that deal is dead.

So the Cowboys are staying with their current group of linemen despite several injuries.

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said he's expecting injured left guard Ronald Leary to return from his knee surgery soon. The Cowboys don't feel as confident about injured guard Nate Livings, who is still recovering from knee surgery.

"It is an area where you just got to have numbers and with everybody managing (their own lines), it's hard to have the five best," Jones said.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys' offensive line still unsettled with Jerry Jones hoping Ron Leary can return for opener

The Cowboys' starting offensive line Saturday had Tyron Smith at left tackle, Mackenzy Bernadeau at left guard, Travis Frederick at center, Doug Free at right guard and Jermey Parnell at right tackle. But the only thing certain after Saturday's dress rehearsal is that Smith will start at left tackle and Frederick at center in the season opener in two weeks.

"I think [Ron] Leary has got a chance to come in, so I think he does have a chance to play," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. "I really want to see how Parnell [did Saturday after coaches' grades]. We just really need to look at this. I don’t know that I could assess how well they did do, each one of them. Parnell at right, it’s logical that he’s going to improve and get better since he missed so much time. He needs the snaps. He does need them. He’s not veteran enough to have missed as much practice and be sharp tonight. Maybe by the time we get to the Giants he can be sharp enough to give us confidence at right tackle."

Leary, who had right knee surgery Aug. 16, will start at left guard if he can get back in time for the opener Sept. 8. Bernadeau would be at right guard. Free would move back to right tackle. But Leary's return is an if....

The Cowboys tried out their contingency plan against the Bengals.

Free has started 55 games at tackle. He has never made a regular-season start at guard. The Cowboys moved him there early last week in practice.

Free had little to say afterward.

"Sorry, guys. I’m going to look at the film before I say anything," he said. "...I don’t know anything at the moment. Sorry."

Jones said he can't wait to see how Free graded out.

"He’s never played guard -- ever," Jones said. "So if, by chance, he should grade good. and I mean, when I say grade good, really be acceptable, then that would be impressive to have never played the position. That would be very impressive.

"We’ve talked about doing it [trying Free at guard], couldn’t do it, had a lot of reasons not to do it. But now we’ve got a good one to do it, and so let’s see what happened. I think he did better than he should have done."

Parnell has started only one career game. He subbed for Smith at left tackle in the Thanksgiving Day game against the Redskins after Smith sprained an ankle the previous week against Cleveland.

-- Charean Williams

Top Bottom