City of Detroit files for Bankruptcy

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
CNN.com

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

Detroit filed for bankruptcy Thursday afternoon, becoming the nation's largest public sector bankruptcy. The move could slash pension benefits to city workers and retirees, and leave bond holders with only pennies on the dollar.

The bankruptcy was filed by Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr and approved by Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder. Snyder said the financial condition of the city left him no choice, and that Detroit could not meet its obligation to either its citizens or its creditors.

"The only feasible path to ensuring the city will be able to meet obligations in the future is to have a successful restructuring via the bankruptcy process," Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder said in the letter authorizing the filing.
But public employee unions are sure to fight the move.

Orr already halted payments on about $2 billion in debt last month, saying the city needed to preserve its dwindling supply of cash. The city faces total liabilities of about $18 billion. Orr's reorganization plan calls for cutting $11.5 billion in debt down to $2 billion. That would mean that investors and retirees would receive an average of just 17% of what they are owed. Specific plans for the cuts are unknown at this time.

Click here for full article

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had no idea cities could file for bankruptcy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Oh look, the Unions are saying they should get all their benefits.

I hope they don't mind getting paid in monopoly money. Where the hell is it gonna come from? You're gonna raise taxes on the no businesses and no rich people who live in Detroit?

Good one, unions.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
If you were going to guess a major city to go bankrupt anytime soon, would anyone have picked a city other than Detroit?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you were going to guess a major city to go bankrupt anytime soon, would anyone have picked a city other than Detroit?
I believe Scranton PA, did. They aren't a "major" city but they are known for being the setting of the Office.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I believe Scranton PA, did. They aren't a "major" city but they are known for being the setting of the Office.
Several cities have filed. There was also a recent one in California but I forget which one it was.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Several cities have filed. There was also a recent one in California but I forget which one it was.
The city of Stockton is what you're thinking of. In 1994, Orange County filed bankruptcy as well. The entire county went broke at that time.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
No kidding.

Their economic struggles and abundance of vacant properties and abandoned wastelands has been well documented for quite some time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The city of Stockton is what you're thinking of. In 1994, Orange County filed bankruptcy as well. The entire county went broke at that time.
The one I am thinking about in California was more recent. It was earlier this year.

Top Bottom