Helman - Draft Focus: Vaccaro Could Be Ballhawk Of The Future

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Draft Focus: Vaccaro Could Be Ballhawk Of The Future

Posted 7 hours ago

David Helman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

(Editor’s Note: Heading into the upcoming NFL Draft, held April 25-27, DallasCowboys.com will take a closer look at the prospects, including some that could be potential fits with the Cowboys. Today’s featured player is Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro).

Name: Kenny Vaccaro

Position: Safety

College: Texas

Height/Weight: 6-0/214

Honors: Vaccaro was named first-team All-Big XII in both 2011 and 2012, and was tabbed a 2012 first-team All-American by Pro Football Weekly.

Key Stat: It’s understandable to want more turnovers out of the Cowboys’ secondary, after the unit recorded just seven picks in 2012, but Vaccaro might not be the ballhawk who turns that around – at least not at this point in his career. While he amassed a massive 264 tackles during his Texas career, he only managed five interceptions in three seasons as a starter at free safety.

Where He’s Headed: Vaccaro is far and away the best safety prospect in this class, and he’s likely the only one who will go in the first round. Safety isn’t typically one of the draft’s glamor positions, and it takes a special prospect to earn a top-10 selection from that spot. Mid-round is more likely, but he still may go before the Cowboys are on the clock at No. 18.

How He Helps the Cowboys: It seems like safety has been a draft priority in Dallas for several years, but the Cowboys haven’t been quite able to address it. Vaccaro would certainly add depth and bring talent to the secondary, and it’s doubtful the addition of veteran Will Allen in free agency would keep the team from pulling the trigger.

Scouts’ Take: Should be the first safety taken off the board. … Played in the slot the majority of the time because the coaches at Texas were trying to protect themselves where they were lacking at other defensive positions. … Had a slow time at the Combine and was unable to better that time at his Pro Day in Austin, but did drills with former Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and workout was solid. … There is no question about his ability to pedal, spin and drive. His 20-yard shuttle time at the Combine was 4.06, which is rare for a safety. … As mentioned, there are plenty of times where you see him near or on the line of scrimmage and in the mix on tackles. … Of the games I was able to study, the one against Oklahoma was his poorest by far. As a whole, the Texas defense was awful but that’s no excuse. He took bad angles, missed a tackle in the hole that gave up a long touchdown, was

fooled on a reverse and didn’t chase on a play from the backside. … In the TCU game, he moved better and quicker. He had some open-field tackles and stepped up in the hole with some force. … Against West Virginia, he covered Tavon Austin out of the slot and showed a nose for the ball to his side. … Doesn’t play afraid or scared. … Used in a lot of different roles, have even seen him on the slot blitz getting home. … Like his athletic ability and toughness for the position. – Bryan Broaddus

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's what I read about Claiborne too and he didn't show a single semblance of ball skills in his rookie year.

I know he was a rookie, but experience has very little to do with your ability to be around the football. You either have that awareness or you don't, and I'm a bit worried that Claiborne showed zero ball awareness throughout the entire season.

Hell, even a Terence Newman dropped pick would've been more than what he did last season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's what I read about Claiborne too and he didn't show a single semblance of ball skills in his rookie year.

I know he was a rookie, but experience has very little to do with your ability to be around the football. You either have that awareness or you don't, and I'm a bit worried that Claiborne showed zero ball awareness throughout the entire season.

Hell, even a Terence Newman dropped pick would've been more than what he did last season.
You are being a bit hard on him.

He was not floundering around with his back to the ball flailing his arms very often.

I think Fat Rob got scared when the injuries hit and the defense turned way passive.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
You are being a bit hard on him.

He was not floundering around with his back to the ball flailing his arms very often.

I think Fat Rob got scared when the injuries hit and the defense turned way passive.
I don't think I'm being hard on him at all. The guy didn't look lost and I never said he was terrible.

But the one skill that he supposedly has that was being touted the most coming out of the draft was his great ball awareness. Look at his college highlights and you see the guy jumping routes, turning and looking for the football, etc.

Last year? Not once did the guy jump a route or get close to a pick with his eyes on the ball. I don't expect the guy to be Deion Sanders, but I also don't want another Terence Newman.

We need more playmakers especially on defense. And being the 6th pick in the entire draft, this guy better damn well turn out to be a playmaker and not just a solid cover guy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think I'm being hard on him at all. The guy didn't look lost and I never said he was terrible.

But the one skill that he supposedly has that was being touted the most coming out of the draft was his great ball awareness. Look at his college highlights and you see the guy jumping routes, turning and looking for the football, etc.

Last year? Not once did the guy jump a route or get close to a pick with his eyes on the ball. I don't expect the guy to be Deion Sanders, but I also don't want another Terence Newman.

We need more playmakers especially on defense. And being the 6th pick in the entire draft, this guy better damn well turn out to be a playmaker and not just a solid cover guy.
It is rare a rookie CB is going to jump routes and be nearly what they are sold as.

I don't know what you expected from a whacked out D led by a nutjob.

If he repeats his rookie year, I will be right behind you ragging on the guy.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I saw him break on the ball plenty of times he just seemed to be a step slow which is to be expected of a rookie playing a bit tentative.

I saw him lose some confidence down the stretch, but I saw enough awareness to think he can make the next step.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Maybe I don't like him because I watched my Sooners torch his bitch ass. Or, maybe it's just because he's a shorthorn. Either way, this is the one guy, who if we pick at 18, I will be pissed. I don't think he's anything special at all and in fact, think Cyprien will be better.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I saw him break on the ball plenty of times he just seemed to be a step slow which is to be expected of a rookie playing a bit tentative.

I saw him lose some confidence down the stretch, but I saw enough awareness to think he can make the next step.
When you take a guy in the 1st round, especially in the top 10, you want him to show you flashes.....something there that shows you he's got it. Something that reassures you that you made a good pick.

While he played solidly, he didn't give us those flashes of elite ability that you want see here and there. He was very ordinary.

We'll see how much Rob Ryan and his poosay style played into that, but I definitely think he has something to prove this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maybe I don't like him because I watched my Sooners torch his bitch ass. Or, maybe it's just because he's a shorthorn. Either way, this is the one guy, who if we pick at 18, I will be pissed. I don't think he's anything special at all and in fact, think Cyprien will be better.
Cyprien is already being heralded as the best by Greg Cosell. I respect his opinion because the guy watches more "tape", "film" or whatever you want to call it.

Vaccaro is not worth the 18th pick if you eliminate need. That's all I have to say about that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
When you take a guy in the 1st round, especially in the top 10, you want him to show you flashes.....something there that shows you he's got it. Something that reassures you that you made a good pick.

While he played solidly, he didn't give us those flashes of elite ability that you want see here and there. He was very ordinary.

We'll see how much Rob Ryan and his poosay style played into that, but I definitely think he has something to prove this year.
Ah jeez, quit yer bitchin'.

This was a thread about Vaccaro.

Yes, I do realize I am being a hypocrite. :art

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Here is my stand on Vaccaro.

We have so many other options better than some tatted up retard safety at 18.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Fair enough, I saw some flashes and I think he can build on that.

Top Bottom