MacMahon: Cowboys' Bryant wants to finish vs. Giants

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' Bryant wants to finish vs. Giants

August, 30, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Dez Bryant’s denial that the most spectacular incompletion in Cowboys' history still weighs on his mind didn’t last long.

Bryant
The play was a subject of conversation after the preseason finale because the Cowboys’ next game is against the New York Giants and actually counts. And Bryant’s sensational leaping catch in the end zone, which would have been the game-winning score if two of his fingers didn’t land out of bounds, is an unforgettable moment from the Giants’ last trip to JerryWorld.

“Oh, man ... I don’t even think about it,” Bryant said, pausing and cracking a big smile. “I lied. I do. It just makes me want to get out there that much more and try to do everything right to not even come (down) to get into that position.”

It’s not accurate to say the Cowboys’ attention shifted to the Giants after Thursday night’s yawn-inducing preseason game. For the starters and other key players, the focus has been on preparing for the Giants all week.

“We’re ready,” Bryant said. “Not trying to give y’all too much, but the tape’s been watched.”

The season opener is a little easier to hype because it’s a prime-time matchup against an NFC East rival who is undefeated in the Cowboys’ $1.2 billion football palace. But Bryant, whose breakout second half of 2012 seems like it’ll be a launching point, is just giddy to get the regular season rolling.

“To be honest, it don’t matter who we play,” Bryant said. “(It’s exciting) just because it’s the beginning of the season. Football is back. Preseason is not the season. That football is totally different from the actual game. Everything counts. You’ve got the starters playing. We’re looking to battle all four quarters both teams.”

Bryant hopes it doesn’t come down to the Cowboys trying to make a comeback attempt. However, after Bryant built on his strong 2012 finish with a phenomenal offseason, training camp and preseason, the Cowboys would be fine with betting on him with the game on the line.

Top Bottom