User Tag List

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Golf Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    Tiger is indeed a rare talent, and was fun to watch. But I think I'd still place Nicholas and Palmer ahead of him. Today's golfers have a huge advantage in equipment. Both in the clubs and the golf balls they use. But if you look at their avg scores, they're pretty comparable. I wonder what a guy like Nicholas could have done with today's titanium clubs with their oversize sweet spots and the more reactive balls.
    i actually had this conversation a while ago. Have golfers gotten worse since Nicholas and Palmer? Or have there been rule changes or course changes to make today's game tougher? With today's technology, players should be beating scores from 40 years ago.

The equipment is better today and the current group of young pros are more fitness oriented. The courses have been redesigned to the extent that they can be and the distances have been increased for the drives. All that said, the short game is how to evaluate and compare players of different eras. That's where the scoring is most affected. Bunker saves and birdies are the skill tests.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    The equipment is better today and the current group of young pros are more fitness oriented. The courses have been redesigned to the extent that they can be and the distances have been increased for the drives. All that said, the short game is how to evaluate and compare players of different eras. That's where the scoring is most affected. Bunker saves and birdies are the skill tests.
    This is absolutely true, you can out drive someone by 100yds and still lose the hole and most advances have been towards distance and the courses have made up for it with ease. I don't see anyone who can break Nicklaus record because he was that good for so long and the field is that much more competitive. Tiger had a shot because he was that good, but his own fame made golf so popular that the field is just to competitive to dominate like he did.
    DCC's Coolest Fantasy League CHAMPION!!!!!

Holy shit...Furyk just shot a 58.

Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Holy shit...Furyk just shot a 58.
    Has he started on 10 yet?
    Since Day One

Such a rare talent