Renisha McBride = female Trayvon Martin?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Renisha McBride's family asks for peace as they mourn her death

7:05 PM, November 7, 2013 |

By Bill Laitner and Niraj Warikoo

Detroit Free Press Staff Writers

The family of Renisha McBride released a statement today asking to be left alone until after her funeral and calling for “peace and justice as we challenge the system to arrest and try the alleged assailant for this horrific act.”

The statement was released through activist Ron Scott, of the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality.

“The family of Renisha McBride, who during the past seven days has been trying to come to terms with the horrific shooting of this 19-year-old young woman while she sought help in a Dearborn Heights neighborhood, has asked that all interviews and contact with the family be conducted after her funeral,” the statement said. McBride’s funeral is on Friday.

The Detroit Branch of the NAACP also issued a statement calling for the shooting to be “investigated at every level.”

The statement from McBride’s family challenged reports that the homeowner called police after the shooting, which occurred about 3:40 a.m. Saturday on the porch of a house in the 16000 block of Outer Drive in Dearborn Heights.

“The alleged assailant did not, according to reports, immediately notify the police that the shooting had taken place. It was reported that instead neighbors contacted police about the shooting. He has not, to date, been arrested.”

Early today, Dearborn Heights police disputed early statements by the family that McBride was shot in the back of the head as she turned to leave the porch. Police said the homeowner told investigators his shotgun accidentally discharged, hitting Renisha McBride in the face as she stood on his porch.

“This man’s claiming – believed the girl was breaking into the home. And he’s also saying the gun discharged accidentally,” Lt. James Serwatowski, chief detective, said.

“This girl was not shot in the back of the head while leaving the porch,” Serwatowski said “I don’t know where the family is getting this. She was shot in the front of the face, near the mouth.”

According to the statement issued by Scott, the family has spoken to the Dearborn Heights Police Chief Lee Gavin and Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy regarding the issuance of criminal charges.

“The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office indicated that they are investigating the case and will release a statement once it is completed. They added that the investigation is moving swiftly.”

The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office issued a statement this morning saying that it is awaiting further investigation by Dearborn Heights police before deciding whether any criminal charges will be authorized in the case.

“I know the family is anxious to see this man (the alleged shooter) charged but the prosecutor’s office is telling us they want a lot more information before they make a decision,” Serwatowski said.

This afternoon, Bernita Spinks, an aunt of the woman killed, told the Free Press she’s going to view her niece’s body today at a funeral home in Detroit.

“I’m tired,” she said.

Asked about the police statement that her niece was not shot in the back of her head, she said: “I don’t know. I really don’t know.”

McBride’s family has said she was involved in an auto accident and had gone to the house on Outer Drive for help when she was shot do death by the homeowner.

“I’ll confirm that she was in an accident in Detroit and that she left the accident scene, and then some hours transpired” before the shooting, Serwatowski said.

Serwatowski said the shooting occurred about 3:40 a.m. and the accident happened at about 1:30 a.m. He declined to say what police believe McBride was doing before and after the accident.

The homeowner’s .12-gauge was seized by police and the Michigan State Police crime lab is analyzing it, Serwatowski said.

Activists were rallying tonight outside the Dearborn Heights Police station over McBride’s death.

“Black life is not valued in America, not worthy, not respected,” said Detroit activist Yusef Shaker, who is helping lead the rally. “Here was a woman who was seeking help from potential danger and her life was taken...It's a Trayvon Martin case all over again.”

Writer Dream Hampton and Illana Weaver, a Detroit rapper known as Invincible, were helping organize the protest, Shaker said.

The rally is about “recognizing the value of a woman and the value of a black person,” Shaker said.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
She was shot in the face with a 12 gauge? Holy crap.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My first thing is what kind of fucktard fears a woman breaking in?

I think it is irresponsible though to compare this to the Martin case. Totally different circumstances.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
“Black life is not valued in America, not worthy, not respected,” said Detroit activist Yusef Shaker, who is helping lead the rally. “Here was a woman who was seeking help from potential danger and her life was taken...It's a Trayvon Martin case all over again."
Cripes. This situation is nothing at all like the Martin case.

And to say black life is not valued or respected in America is overly dramatic, I'd say.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This isn't an American problem. Detroit is uniquely a third world enclave in a first world country. Detroit is hell on earth and it's population has gotten really good at murder. A brief look at the crime stats in Detroit would make you feel like Gran Torino was an overly optimistic documentary.

Top Bottom