Archer: Sean Payton - Romo having 'his best year'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sean Payton: Romo having 'his best year'

November, 6, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- When Tony Romo first burst on the seen in 2006, Bill Parcells likes to say the Dallas Cowboys quarterback was spawned from a lot of fathers, meaning just about everybody was trying to take credit for Romo's success.

One of those fathers was Sean Payton, who was the Cowboys' assistant head coach in 2003 and played a large part in Romo signing with the team as an undrafted free agent.

Payton was there at Romo's first minicamp practice and has seen Romo become one of the NFL's best quarterbacks.

"He's having, I think, the best year of his career this season right now," Payton said. "Just having the chance to watch three games myself on that side of the ball, he's been very good in regards to his decision making. He knows pre-snap where he wants to go. He's got a quick way of getting through his progressions and the ball comes out extremely fast."

Romo is third in the NFL in touchdown passes with 20, fifth in yards (2,553) and fifth in passer rating (100.0). He has been intercepted omly six times in 352 attempts.

"I think he located the ball very well," Payton said. "The word isn't improvise, but his ability to move and extend plays and avoid pressure and avoid sacks has served him very well. I think from a decision-making standpoint each year you're seeing someone very comfortable in the system. I think Jason [Garrett] and those guys there have done a very good job of giving him throws that he's very comfortable with."

Payton and Romo will go against each other for the third time. Payton won in 2006 at Texas Stadium. Romo won in 2009 at the Merdcedes-Benz Superdome. Romo did not play in the 2010 meeting because of a broken collarbone, and Payton did not coach in last year's meeting because of an NFL suspension.

Any time the Saints and Cowboys meet, the story of a possible trade involving Romo in 2006 always comes up. Payton dismissed the talk Wednesday.

"We had the second pick in the draft," Payton said. "We were looking closely at the quarterbacks in that draft and then after the combine is when Drew [Brees] became available from San Diego, so no, in fairness to the question, I don't think there was anything that ever really got started. And it really wasn't even discussed. I think Bill [Parcells'] words were pretty good. I think he said, 'Go sit on the couch and have a warm glass of milk.'"

That's weird, because I think he is having one of his worst years.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Then maybe you are weird. Romo is one of the few bright spots little cotton patch buddy.:art

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just because he hasn't thrown a lot of INTs doesn't mean he is having a good year. More than half our games he has been way off with his passes. He isn't having a very good year at all, IMO.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Then maybe you are weird. Romo is one of the few bright spots little cotton patch buddy.:art
A shiny turd is still a turd.....

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Just because he hasn't thrown a lot of INTs doesn't mean he is having a good year. More than half our games he has been way off with his passes. He isn't having a very good year at all, IMO.
Yup.

His accuracy is the worst that I've ever seen it. Couple that with him playing scared both mentally and physically, and I think he's having a down season as well.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
His accuracy has been down as of late, but he is far from having one of his worst seasons.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
His accuracy has been down as of late, but he is far from having one of his worst seasons.
Yes, first 5 games were off the charts. Last 4 have been down. But WGAS we're 3-1 in those last 4 games.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
His stats are nice, but his completion percentage is down from the past few years.

He is definitely not as accurate this year.
Not really. 2010 he was at 69.5%, but that was only 6 games when he broke his collarbone. 66.3% in 2011 and he's at 66.2% this year.

You guys are over analyzing this. The first 5 games this year were amazing. Last 4 just so so, but he won 3 of those.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You win L.T. These guys are clueless. They expect perfection and not only at QB.
I just don't believe its his best year or one of his better years. A lot of his throws are off the mark even if they are caught by receivers adjusting.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I still think 2011 was his best year as a pro.

We didn't win as many games as we did in 2009 or 2007 but he was a better QB, IMO.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I just don't believe its his best year or one of his better years. A lot of his throws are off the mark even if they are caught by receivers adjusting.
What is better is his completion to interception ratio for one. I will not bother with some of the other areas where he is better. The stats speak for themselves.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Again, no QB is perfect. Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, their receivers have to adjust for balls as well. The numbers don't lie. I agree, he has been off the past few weeks.

Top Bottom