MacMahon: Jerry makes excuses for Monte Kiffin

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry makes excuses for Monte Kiffin

October, 9, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Jerry Jones, who looked for reasons to get rid of 8-8 scapegoat Rob Ryan after last seasons, keeps cutting defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin some serious slack.

Jones went out of his way during his Tuesday radio appearance to make excuses for Dallas’ defensive struggles this season, even indicating that they’re closer to the norm in the modern-day NFL.

“The other thing that’s not the NFL today is strong defense,” Jones said on KRLD-FM, changing the subject after being asked about the likelihood of the Cowboys’ offensive explosion in Sunday’s 51-48 loss to the Denver Broncos potentially beginning a trend. “Now, some are playing it better than others.”

Precious few are playing defense as poorly as the Cowboys, who have already matched a dubious NFL record by allowing three 400-yard passers in a season. Dallas ranks 22nd in the NFL in scoring defense (27.2 points per game), 28th in total defense (409.2 yards) and 31st in passing defense (326.4 yards).

Why isn’t Jones concerned about Kiffin’s performance?

“Because I see how he’s coaching the players,” Jones said. “[Defensive line coach] Rod Marinelli, we talk about him a lot. We should. But I see individually they’re being coached, the technique they’re being taught. The acclimation to what we’re trying to do defensively, that arrow is going up. We’re moving some personnel around.

“We’re dealing with some young players. The more experience they get, the better we are.”

Rookie J.J. Wilcox is starting at one safety position. Morris Claiborne, a sixth overall pick in his second season, is the Cowboys’ third cornerback at this point. Third-year linebackerBruce Carter is the only other player with a starting role in the base or nickel defense who is still on his rookie contract.

“Young players with talent, with skill have a chance to evolve up,” Jones said. “So you can be better at the end with young players than you are at the beginning. We’re playing a lot of young players. Our safeties are young. Certainly, a couple of our cornerbacks are younger. At linebacker, Carter for all intents and purposes is in his second year. These are all guys who will get better.”

See the 2012 Seattle Seahawks defense, which allowed the fewest points in the league, for proof of how flimsy the youth excuse is. Seattle’s top five tacklers – including three stars: then-rookie linebacker Bobby Wagner and a couple of 2011 draft picks, cornerbackRichard Sherman and safety Earl Thomas – were all 24 or younger. Another rookie, defensive end Bruce Irvin, ranked second on the Seahawks with eight sacks.

Jones wouldn’t accept injuries as an excuse for the Dallas defense’s decline last years, when half the starters had their seasons ended prematurely. Now, Jones is looking for reasons to forgive the defense’s regression under the man he picked to replace Ryan.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Is MacMahon the only reporter in Dallas who calls this motherfucker out semi-regularly?

Cotton

Staff member
Is MacMahon the only reporter in Dallas who calls this motherfucker out semi-regularly?
Yep. Watkins sucks his dick. Archer stays neutral. And JJT wavers back and forth.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
22 in scoring defense is what matters to me. It has to get way better. If not, we have to keep scoring like we did against Denver.

Cotton

Staff member
22 in scoring defense is what matters to me. It has to get way better. If not, we have to keep scoring like we did against Denver.
Which you know we can't do consistently.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Its pretty damn bad no one else rides that piece of shit Jones....he deserves the shit anyone gives him with statements like the one about Kiffin.

"The other thing that’s not the NFL today is strong defense"

:lol

:dunce

Jesus.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Its pretty damn bad no one else rides that piece of shit Jones....he deserves the shit anyone gives him with statements like the one about Kiffin.

"The other thing that’s not the NFL today is strong defense"

:dunce

Jesus.

Seriously, how he has people asking for his autograph and listening to his radio show amazes me.

If only every Cowboys fan was like the San Antonio chick I met in Huntington. "Jerry Jones? Fuck him, he's an idiot".

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Seriously, how he has people asking for his autograph and listening to his radio show amazes me.

If only every Cowboys fan was like the San Antonio chick I met in Huntington. "Jerry Jones? Fuck him, he's an idiot".
A wise yoda once told me, "Start Somewhere It's Got To" or something along those lines.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
True story, bros...I thumbed my nose at teh Jerry when he tried to sign an autograph back in 06.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Sounds like wife material to me.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Top Bottom