MacMahon: No excuse for Dez to be targeted only twice

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No excuse for Dez to be targeted only twice

November, 11, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

NEW ORLEANS – If a receiver has ever had a right to rant about his role in the offense, Dez Bryant did Sunday night.

It’s simply ridiculous for a receiver that talented to be targeted only twice in a game.

Bryant didn’t have a ball thrown his direction until an incomplete pass more than three minutes into the second half, when he beat double coverage deep and could have scored a touchdown if Tony Romo’s throw had been more toward the middle of the field. His only other opportunity came later in the third quarter, when he made a juggling catch for a 44-yard gain to set up a touchdown.

But Bryant didn’t go diva. He was subdued after the Dallas Cowboys49-17 loss to the New Orleans Saints, choosing to say little about why he played such a minor role in the offense.

“I just do what’s asked,” said Bryant, who was adamant that his back felt “absolutely fine” after bothering him during the week. “That’s all I do. I can’t answer that.”

There are reasons why Bryant barely got the ball against the Saints, who he lit up last season for a career-best 224 yards and two touchdowns on nine catches. But there are no acceptable excuses. It’s a football felony for such a premier playmaker to be virtually ignored.

Give Rob Ryan credit for a scheme that convinced the Cowboys to play keep-away from their best offensive player. The Saints were so committed to containing Bryant that they double-teamed him like he was a gunner on the punt team – two defensive backs jamming him at the line of scrimmage – on one play.

“They doubled him the entire game, really,” Romo said.

Oh, and Romo wants the record to reflect that the protection played a role in Bryant being a highly publicized observer for most of Sunday night.

“Usually when you double, you’re doing to have to run some routes that are double move-ish,” Romo said. “They take a little more time to get open, so you have to have time to be able to do that. Things like that play a role.”

That kind of attention is a weekly reality for elite receivers. (Well, unless Monte Kiffin is the opposing defensive coordinator.) Good teams don’t just give up on trying to get the ball to their go-to guy. However, to hear coach Jason Garrett tell it, the Cowboys erred in not executing well enough to take advantage of one-on-one matchups.

“We didn’t do a good enough job just finding the other guys and making them pay with the other guys who were isolated,” Garrett said. “We weren’t able to drive the ball the way that we wanted and we didn’t do a very good job on third down to sustain drives.”

That’s an understatement. The Cowboys were 0-for-9 on third down, the primary reason they ran only 43 offensive plays.

You reckon the Cowboys’ success rate on third down might have been a bit better if they ever threw to Bryant in those situations?

It’s never acceptable for backup tight end James Hanna to be targeted more often than No. 88. Or for slot receiver Cole Beasley to have twice as many passes thrown his way as Bryant.

This was a collective failure by the Cowboys’ creative offensive brain trust. It’s on Garrett, offensive coordinator Bill Callahan and Romo to figure out ways to feature Bryant no matter how much attention he’s given by the opposing defense.

Move him around. Send him in motion. Give him a chance to make some contested catches.

On Sunday night, the Cowboys just let their best weapon go to waste.

Cotton

Staff member
Bryant on seeing ball only twice: ‘I just do as asked’
Posted on November 11, 2013 | BY TOM ORSBORN

NEW ORLEANS – Dez Bryant was a non-factor in Sunday’s 49-17 loss to the Saints, catching one pass for 44 yards.

was a far cry from the 224 yards he amassed in last season’s overtime loss to New Orleans.

Asked why he was targeted only twice, the Cowboys wideout said,
“I just do as asked. That’s what I do. I can’t answer that.”

Bryant said his back problems had nothing to do with his struggles. Citing anonymous sources, ESPN’s Ed Werder reported that Bryant received an epidural injection last week for back pain.

“I promise you…ain’t nothing wrong with it,” Bryant told reporters Sunday night.

Saints coach Sean Payton praised cornerback Kennan Lewis for the work he did against Bryant.

“I thought Keenan competed and did a good job,” Payton said.

As usual, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett pointed to double-team coverage as the reason Bryant didn’t have an impact.

“Dez gets a lot of attention every week,” Garrett said. “As you guys know, we talk about that a lot. Teams will come out and they will double him a lot of different ways. That Saints did that. They did that in all our different formations and all of our different personnel moves that we were using. He is one of those guys that they want to take out of the game…We didn’t do a good enough job just finding the other guys and making them pay with the other guys who weren’t getting isolated. We weren’t able to drive the ball the way that we wanted to and we didn’t do a very good job on third down (0 for 9) to sustain drives. That was a big part of this ball game.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Most of the time he was running half speed against the punt coverage type coverage they had.

It was like whatever plan we had to feature someone else was not even thought through.

What amazes me so much about Garrett's inept offense is how easy it is to take away the weapons and scare him.

Guys like Andre Johnson and Demaryius Thomas face double coverage, but you don't see them going entire HALVES without even being targeted.

It's more of him being Wile E. Coyote clever.

Sooper Genius.

Cotton

Staff member
Most of the time he was running half speed against the punt coverage type coverage they had.

It was like whatever plan we had to feature someone else was not even thought through.

What amazes me so much about Garrett's inept offense is how easy it is to take away the weapons and scare him.

Guys like Andre Johnson and Demaryius Thomas face double coverage, but you don't see them going entire HALVES without even being targeted.

It's more of him being Wile E. Coyote clever.

Sooper Genius.
It would be easy to blame Dez, but you nailed it. They knew he was going to be smothered in coverage yet seemed to have no plan in place to get it to the other guys or get Dez into space. It was one of the most pathetic offensive performances I think I have ever seen. We looked completely lost. Almost like the Saints surprised us.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Garrett's brain works slow and in one direction, this idiot can't adjust on the fly, it's no surprise our offense looks similar.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Garrett's brain works slow and in one direction, this idiot can't adjust on the fly, it's no surprise our offense looks similar.
Callahan's clearly can't, either. Not even targeting Dez until the 3rd quarter is utterly unacceptable.

superpunk

Banned
Dez is playing the good soldier, but I could see him losing his shit here soon. Even though it's justified, won't that be fun.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Dez is playing the good soldier, but I could see him losing his shit here soon. Even though it's justified, won't that be fun.
Can you blame him? He's the best player we have, and our dumbshit staff won't even call a fucking play to get him the ball? And what's worse is that our idiot QB doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

D

Deuce

It's funny that as the game got started, I remember Collinsworth saying how the Cowboys gameplan centered around "knowing Ryan's coverage's and their weaknesses." But maybe what should have been said is Ryan knows the weaknesses in this offense too. It's about a predictable as it gets.

Cotton

Staff member
Stephen Jones begs to differ: Cowboys did take shots with Dez Bryant against Saints

Executive vice president Stephen Jones said the Cowboys did take shots at a double-covered Dez Bryant on Sunday night against the Saints.

“It starts with that,” Jones said on his weekly radio appearance on KRLD 105.3 FM “The Fan.” “You’ve got to make them pay a price somewhere else. I still think, inevitably, you’ve got to take your shots, which we did last night. We had a couple of throws to Dez, one I think he had two guys beat and just overthrew him, and then another one obviously made a great play, came up with the ball. So we took a couple of shots with him. We’ve got to continue to do that, if not a little more.”

Bryant, the Cowboys’ top receiver and touchdown leader, had two targets in the 49-17 loss. The one catch went for 44 yards. The fourth-year receiver has eight touchdown catches but has been held out of the end zone in four of the last five games.

Jones said the Cowboys can fix that problem in part by balancing the offense.

“We’ve got to run the ball more. We’ve got to run it better. We’ve got to put ourselves in some good situations to be able to convert on third down,” he said. “We’ve just got to continue to find the right chemistry. When they do double Dez, we’ve got to have some guys win some matchups. I think we’ll get better. I think our guys certainly are not satisfied with where they are, certainly think that we can get better on that side of the ball.”

Jones said when the Cowboys start executing the running game better, the offense will get better.

“I think it will all start if we can run the ball,” he said. “I think we saw glimpses of that early, but unfortunately, New Orleans was very efficient on their side of the ball and we got behind, and of course we all know what can happen: you’re looking at a pretty good deficit on the road, you feel the need to throw the ball more. Unfortunately, it didn’t work for us last night.”

-- Carlos Mendez

So, throwing to him twice is "taking shots at him"? You are just as bad as your deddy about pumping sunshine up people's asses.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
lmao and one of those "shots" was only because Romo took it on himself to finally move Dez around, I'm to the point of just laughing at how inept the whole organization is but it's starting to feel like laughing at the retarded kid

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
why the fuck is a salary cap guy popping off on X's and O's? and why the fuck does he have a weekly radio show?? what other cap guy in the league has such a thing?

Cotton

Staff member
why the fuck is a salary cap guy popping off on X's and O's? and why the fuck does he have a weekly radio show?? what other cap guy in the league has such a thing?
Yet another example of how fucked up this organization is.

Cotton

Staff member

I don't think I have ever seen this. They literally said to the Cowboys, you may beat us, but you damn sure won't with Dez.

Cotton

Staff member
A few teams did this with Randy Moss in the early 2000s.
I guess I just didn't see any of those games, because I don't ever remember it being done before.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I don't think I have ever seen this. They literally said to the Cowboys, you may beat us, but you damn sure won't with Dez.
I hate to say this because you shouldn't need this when a team double a WR like that.

But Austin, you are a total fucking bitch. You are an ex-No. 1 WR, under 30 years old, for as good as Terrance Williams has been, you should be destroying the single coverage looks when teams try to do that to Bryant.

I am thinking he's sandbagging it too like Ratliff.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He's a very straightforward thinker. He lacks imagination and football smarts.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I guess I just didn't see any of those games, because I don't ever remember it being done before.
I remember at least one team doing it and the announce team comparing it to covering a gunner on special teams. It was the Panthers because Steve Smith was having a big year and they were saying the Vikes should use that strategy on him, IIRC.

Top Bottom