Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's possible he is still employed because he is at least acceptable/average but it is just as(most would say more) likely given his body of work that he is only still around due to nepotism/good ol boys network.
Could be but he is around and those good old boys don't consider him a bad coach.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Could be but he is around and those good old boys don't consider him a bad coach.
We don't know that, all we do know is he is still employed

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We don't know that, all we do know is he is still employed
The ones that count apparently know that because he is on the payroll. Don't press the point on this. I not nominating him for the Hall of Fame. I am simply saying that the perception about Wilson being a "bad" coach isn't evident in the football circles because he has been gainfully employed there for many years. The bad coach perception doesn't extend to those who have hired him. Think what you want about the guy. He seems to have at least enough going for him to stay in the business.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The ones that count apparently know that because he is on the payroll. Don't press the point on this. I not nominating him for the Hall of Fame. I am simply saying that the perception about Wilson being a "bad" coach isn't evident in the football circles because he has been gainfully employed there for many years. The bad coach perception doesn't extend to those who have hired him. Think what you want about the guy. He seems to have at least enough going for him to stay in the business.
I get your not saying he's good or great, but just the fact that he is employed does not rule out he is bad at his job. I have(and you probably have too) seen people stay employed and even get promoted when they are downright awful at their job, and most of the time their superiors know this but because they are family/friends it doesn't matter.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I get your not saying he's good or great, but just the fact that he is employed does not rule out he is bad at his job. I have(and you probably have too) seen people stay employed and even get promoted when they are downright awful at their job, and most of the time their superiors know this but because they are family/friends it doesn't matter.
All may be well and true. I will make one last comment and then I am finished at least for now. First I have said from the onset of the prior discussions that I have no idea what kind of coach Wilson is. What I have said is that the perception of some is he is a bad coach and I have pointed out or at least have tried, that he apparently isn't perceived in that light by some evidenced by his tenure in the league. By saying that I am not disagreeing with anyone, I am merely pointing out that some in the league don't see him in that light, therefore its' not me you have a disagreement or issue with it is them because they obviously see things differently. They are the group that you can air your perceptions to. Might want to start with Jones and Garrett. :art

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
All may be well and true. I will make one last comment and then I am finished at least for now. First I have said from the onset of the prior discussions that I have no idea what kind of coach Wilson is. What I have said is that the perception of some is he is a bad coach and I have pointed out or at least have tried, that he apparently isn't perceived in that light by some evidenced by his tenure in the league. By saying that I am not disagreeing with anyone, I am merely pointing out that some in the league don't see him in that light, therefore its' not me you have a disagreement or issue with it is them because they obviously see things differently. They are the group that you can air your perceptions to. Might want to start with Jones and Garrett. :art
I got that LT, I was saying there is no evidence other than him keeping his job that anyone in the league thinks he is good. They could just as likely think he's awful but dagnabbit he's a good ol guy so Jerry told him "Chicago fired you? Well sure I'll find a place for ya Wilson <wink> "

townsend

Banned
He probably looked pretty good while Sanders and crew were on the field from 95 thru 2000. :art
Yes the most celebrated athlete of the decade played pretty well under him. I'm sure whoever Barry Sanders RBs coach was, was also a genius. :jerk

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yes the most celebrated athlete of the decade played pretty well under him. I'm sure whoever Barry Sanders RBs coach was, was also a genius. :jerk
Well that's the variable in assessing coaches. Indeed it's the same in every workplace. The boss is only as good as the crew make him look. Some bosses have good crews and they look good. Then some very capable bosses draw a crappy crew and the boss looks crappy. Get my drift?

townsend

Banned
Well that's the variable in assessing coaches. Indeed it's the same in every workplace. The boss is only as good as the crew make him look. Some bosses have good crews and they look good. Then some very capable bosses draw a crappy crew and the boss looks crappy. Get my drift?
I'd agree with that. I think there's a considerable and justified hatred for a lot of Jerry's hires during the early 2000s.

We did everything wrong in that era, and a lot of it was because Jerry hired guys he liked. After the Parcells era, a few of the showed back up like an HSV 2 outbreak. Considering guys like Wilson and Campo got hired despite accomplishing nothing in the intervening years between their departure and return. That speaks to more of the same.

For all I know they do/did a decent job. But if an accountant's job experience included stops at Enron and FIFA i'd wonder about the person that hired them.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
That's a dust in the wind statement. It says nothing other than he likes working for the Dallas organization and living in the area.
His relative comfort speaks to either a lack of ambition or lack of
promotability or both in my eyes. Neither being real impressive.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
By my standard I observe that Wilson has lasted this long in the league. He must be a reasonable coach otherwise if he were a bad coach he wouldn't have lasted this long. That's what I offer as my evidence. If he was detrimental to a team or their QBs it would get around and he couldn't get a job. He obviously does enough to stay in the system. That much is conclusive.
It's conclusive that a buddy and former teammate is carrying him and is so involved in the position he coaches that he isn't responsible for production at that position.

Same argument can used against him. 15 years in the league and never a sniff of a promotion.
Exactly. If a guy had any respect around the league as a QB coach, someone somewhere would want him as an OC. Hell, Garrett has never tried to give him any extra responsibility on a staff that has had myriad split-title coaches. He's a lifer whose job consists of showing up and going through the motions.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
No Tweet.

Just a heads up that ESPNU is currently replaying the Minnesota-Missouri Bowl game so you can get an extended look at Damien Wilson if you're interested.

He's made a couple of nice plays so far. Flashed decent speed and a decent ability to shed blocks.

But he has misread a few runs and Minnesota got gashed up the middle because he guessed wrong.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But he has misread a few runs and Minnesota got gashed up the middle because he guessed wrong.
That was a knock against in his draft profile. The Cowboys must have seen decent football speed because his 40 is well below average.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was a knock against in his draft profile. The Cowboys must have seen decent football speed because his 40 is well below average.
I wouldn't say a 4.77 is well below average for a middle LBer. Anywhere around a 4.7 for a guy in the middle is usually pretty good.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
His relative comfort speaks to either a lack of ambition or lack of
promotability or both in my eyes. Neither being real impressive.
Some coaches just never get that next promotion. We have seen many elite offensive or defensive coordinators in the NFL who never got the shot to try their hand as a head coach. Some guys just aren't meant to take that next step. That doesn't mean they are bad at their current job.

QB coach is just difficult to judge in my opinion. I mean you usually judge a position coach by the performance of the guys playing that position. For example our DB coach sucks because our DBs continually suck and don't seem to develop at all (Outside of Scandrick). However you can't really judge Wilson purely on Romo's performance. Unless you're starting with a raw young QB and developing them you can't really see the skills of a QB coach. It's why I have no idea if Wilson is doing a good job or not. I definitely think we could improve over Wilson but I'm also not sure he is this massive suck that everyone on this board paints him as.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Some coaches just never get that next promotion. We have seen many elite offensive or defensive coordinators in the NFL who never got the shot to try their hand as a head coach. Some guys just aren't meant to take that next step. That doesn't mean they are bad at their current job.

QB coach is just difficult to judge in my opinion. I mean you usually judge a position coach by the performance of the guys playing that position. For example our DB coach sucks because our DBs continually suck and don't seem to develop at all (Outside of Scandrick). However you can't really judge Wilson purely on Romo's performance. Unless you're starting with a raw young QB and developing them you can't really see the skills of a QB coach. It's why I have no idea if Wilson is doing a good job or not. I definitely think we could improve over Wilson but I'm also not sure he is this massive suck that everyone on this board paints him as.
Yeppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom