MacMahon: High 5: Can first-rounder lift the O-line?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Garrett could step up this year but as of right now anyone with any sense understands we haven't had a good enough HC since 2007, all the way up to now.

It's awfully fuzzy math to say the failures from 2007-2010 were on the HC but in 2010 suddenly the OL was the problem. And that just coincidentally coincides with when Garrett took over. It reeks of an agenda.

The team hasn't been perfect or even close to it at any point since 2007, but the coaching since that time hasn't been nearly good enough either.

It is quite funny to waive off the failures of a much more successful time period as a failure of the HC, but take a much less successful subsequent period and absolve the HC from that latter period due to the failures of the OL.

Here's something that gets sometimes swept under the rug about the Wade era: his last two years, the OL was also pretty bad. I would put that 2009 playoff loss to Minnesota squarely on the OL. I've seen very few games in my life where an OL has played worse. And it wasn't good when Wade was fired in 2010 either. And that's not even mentioning the fact that Garrett was in large part responsible for half of the successes and failures in Wade's era.

Wade was rightfully fired. He wasn't good enough. But let's not act like Garrett has had so much less to work with and we therefore can't evaluate him fairly. It's just simply bullshit.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There will always be a missed block that lets him and his case of the terminal yips take over.
That was playing out to be a classic NFC East defensive battle, yet we kept trying to sling the ball when the running game was working well enough. Jason Garrett seems incapable of adjusting to a max protect, grind it out, win ugly philosophy. At least when he has Romo under center.

Like most, Romo's a different QB under pressure and in bad weather, especially in a hostile environment like that game. Washington just sat back and won that game with 87 net yards passing. And defensively they played Witten and Bryant tight and blitzed all game. No one is immune to that kind of pressure when the regular outlets are covered. So just fing run the ball and stay patient.

Nope, not us. Garrett needs a QB who can't throw and Romo needs a coach who loves defense and the running game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Garrett could step up this year but as of right now anyone with any sense understands we haven't had a good enough HC since 2007, all the way up to now.
Right, so in other words, we don't know yet.

Whereas I knew, when he was hired, without question, that Wade was a loser, an unquestionable negative force on the team, and quite possibly the worst head coaching hire of the decade in the NFL, given the position our team was in.

Maybe the problem is that not everyone else here realizes how much of a loser Wade is as a head coach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Whereas I knew, when he was hired, without question, that Wade was a loser, an unquestionable negative force on the team, and quite possibly the worst head coaching hire of the decade in the NFL, given the position our team was in.

Maybe the problem is that not everyone else here realizes how much of a loser Wade is as a head coach.
:lol

Yeah, people do know what a loser Wade is. But maybe the problem is that you don't realize how much of a loser Garrett is as a head coach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett has coached 3 other teams to records worse than when he got there?

Interesting.

Cause I thought he's only coached 2 full seasons with a shorthanded deck.
It is not a comparison. Just an independent observation that Garrett isn't a good head coach. And I don't need the guy to fail with three teams to see that he's not good. I didn't need that with countless other assistants in way over their heads. He's a shined up Mike Mularkey-type head coach with an Ivy League degree.

Genghis Khan

I am saying maybe Garrett steps up from this point forward because I think there is a chance that taking offensive responsibility away from him helps him as a HC.

Don't confuse that with knowing whether, from 2010-present he was good enough. We know. He wasn't good enough.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am saying maybe Garrett steps up from this point forward because I think there is a chance that taking offensive responsibility away from him helps him as a HC.

Don't confuse that with knowing whether, from 2010-present he was good enough. We know. He wasn't good enough.
I endorse this post.

Genghis Khan

Garrett has coached 3 other teams to records worse than when he got there?

Interesting.

Cause I thought he's only coached 2 full seasons with a shorthanded deck.
There's that shorthanded deck excuse again. :lol

You keep saying that as if he is working with the 89 Cowboys roster.

He's had enough in his deck to do better than what he's done.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Interestingly, I've said many times he wasn't good enough, but that I think he can get better and that he will be better with an OL. He will call more balanced plays, he won't have to playcall trying to second-guess his ability to run the ball, etc.

So I agree... hasn't been good enough, don't know if he can be good enough. Needs more time.

Better than another coach who we know isn't good enough like Lovie Smith. :art

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Interestingly, I've said many times he wasn't good enough, but that I think he can get better and that he will be better with an OL. He will call more balanced plays, he won't have to playcall trying to second-guess his ability to run the ball, etc.

So I agree... hasn't been good enough, don't know if he can be good enough. Needs more time.

Yep. That Super Bowl and NFCC appearance just solidifies your case.

Genghis Khan

So in other words, we had a HC that couldn't win from 2007-current.

Top Bottom