Rookie Mini-Camp Thread

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
** TE B.J. Stewart had a rough afternoon practice and at one point was pulled from the field after lining up incorrectly. At that point Jason Garrett yelled, “Give me anybody but 48,” referencing Stewart’s uniform number.
Stewart: "Give me another chance...you do what my initials are, right coach? hint hint"

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
DC.Com Staff Picks Standout Players At Rookie Minicamp

Posted 1 hour ago

By DallasCowboys.com Report

IRVING, Texas – This weekend’s rookie minicamp provided a first look on the field at all the new draftees, undrafted rookies and workout players hoping to get noticed, as well as some select first-year pros.

Two weeks after hearing their names called in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Cowboys’ selections appeared together on the field with Cowboys jerseys and shorts to give their first impressions as a group.

Some of those draftees stood out more than others, as was the case for the other 40 players on the field, comprised of undrafted rookies and select veterans.

Thursday’s rainy weather held off for the rookie minicamp to commence as planned on Friday without field conditions playing a part in inhibiting performances. The DallasCowboys.com staff took a look at which new players stood out the most during the two days and four practices.

Most Noticeable Draft Pick:

Nick – The first guy that stood out to me this weekend was B.W. Webb. The fourth-round pick looks smooth in his backpedal and just looks like he’s NFL-ready. That’s not something you’d always expect from a small-school player. But he competes well in pass coverage. He could be battling for playing time right away.

Bryan – The one player that stood out for me this weekend was cornerback B.W. Webb. The movement skills he showed on film along with his quickness showed up in this camp. I will be very interested to see how he responds when this squad gets completely together and how he does covering guys like Bryant and Austin that are going to make covering that much difficult than the receivers that he is facing now. There is no doubt of his talent.

Rowan – If for nothing else than the fact that he towers over most other players at his position or on the outside, the most noticeable was Gavin Escobar. These rookie minicamps are perfectly suited for his talents. His best attribute is his pass-catch ability, and he demonstrated that while running routes.

David – The guy I had my eyes on the most was J.J. Wilcox. I wanted to see how he handed a professional minicamp with just one year of safety under his belt, and he didn’t disappoint. Wilcox seemed to show good instincts. He also got in on the biggest hit of the weekend when he and running back Kendial Lawrence collided during a scrimmage.

Most Noticeable Rookie Free Agent:

Nick – The guy I noticed was Jakar Hamilton,but not for a great reason. He was throwing up on the side field right off the bat. But he’s looked pretty good in his coverage skills. He has a fluid motion to him. Looks like a guy who started his career at Georgia, more than someone who went to South Carolina State. Which of course, he did both.

Bryan – I really like what I have seen overall all of safety Jakar Hamilton. Things didn’t start out well for Hamilton on Friday morning but he fought through the practice and bounced back nicely in the afternoon. With the two practices on Saturday he was once again around the ball and not only showed some range in the team periods coverage wise but when he had to go one-on-one with Gavin Escobar he was able to get the job done position wise.

Rowan – Kendial Lawrence looked shifty, demonstrated an ability to catch the ball and caught my eye out of the backfield. Granted, he’s not getting tackled. But the running back from Missouri looks like a player that should be able to compete for a role on the team after a solid final year in college.

David – I kept having to look at my roster to figure out who No. 14 was. But Eric Rogers looked solid in the wide receiver spot. Behind Terrance Williams and Jared Green, who were expected to stand out, I thought Rogers had a strong weekend among the receivers.

Nost Noticeable Workout Player:

Nick – Hard to say you notice these guys. But Adrien Spencer will be my pick because when I first noticed him, I thought he was a little Anthony Spencer, only to find out they are really brothers. But I watched him practice and he’s got some skill. He’s also coming off an Achilles injury, but looked pretty smooth.

Bryan – Jason Garrett spoke about guard D.J. Hall, but defensive tackle Nick Johnson deserves some consideration to being added to this roster for training camp this summer. He has been able to make plays against Frederick and Leary when he has faced those matchups. With Brian Price now on injured reserve they are going to need to add some help inside so he might be a good fit.

Rowan – Most of the attention naturally goes toward the seven draftees. But occasionally, a player will come down with a pass or bat a ball and garner some looks. Wide receiver Antoine Hicks joined the rookie minicamp after most of the workout players, but in one day at camp he made an impression by getting separation and fighting for the ball.

David – Dominique Whaley was only at minicamp for a day, but he showed up looking the part of an NFL running back. He looked good in no-contact drills, and he showed some sharp hands.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That guy is someone that i look up to.

~respek~

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Most Noticeable Draft Pick:

Nick – The first guy that stood out to me this weekend was B.W. Webb.

Bryan – The one player that stood out for me this weekend was cornerback B.W. Webb.
Cornerback.... nailed it. We can't have enough good players at that position you know.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Cornerback.... nailed it. We can't have enough good players at that position you know.
On the other hand, as far over the cap as we will be in 2014, we'll probably have to cut Scandrick. If this guy is any good we can save some money.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Aaron Corp on his week with the Cowboys: ‘I never experienced anything like that’

By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
rsabin@dallasnews.com
6:26 pm on May 11, 2013 |

IRVING — Aaron Corp had a strange week. The undrafted free agent quarterback was signed by the Cowboys on Tuesday, was cut on Thursday, and was brought back as a non-roster invitee to the team’s rookie mini-camp on Friday.

“They didn’t give much as far as what their plan was,” Corp said. “I was just going to come in here and do the best I could right away. So then, they came to me on Thursday and said, ‘We’re over the [90-man] roster limit but we still want you to come back for the mini-camp. But you won’t be able to do that until you can clear waivers. Would you be willing to do that?’ I said, ‘Yeah.’”

Corp was taken aback by the sequence of events.

“It was just different,” he said. “I never experienced anything like that.”

Corp, who started his NFL career last year with the Buffalo Bills, hopes to sign with a team soon. He has made a positive impression on head coach Jason Garrett, who said, “I think he has done a pretty good job so far.”

Yet Corp is still angling for a job.

“It’s disappointing to not make a roster so far,” Corp said. “But my viewpoint is if you’re going to keep getting calls you might as well keep going for it.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Undrafted LB Brandon Magee says he is playing with a ‘big chip’ on his shoulder

By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
rsabin@dallasnews.com
6:29 pm on May 11, 2013 |

IRVING – A crowd of reporters converged on Brandon Magee’s locker stall Saturday. It was an unusually large gathering for an interview session with a player who went undrafted.

But Magee, a linebacker out of Arizona State, isn’t a typical rookie free agent. He made headlines when the Cowboys awarded him a $70,000 signing bonus — higher than any sum of guaranteed money received by a seventh-round pick last year.

“I thought, ‘What’s the big deal? I thought everybody got that,” Magee said. “But I guess they don’t. I had no idea.”

The substantial investment the Cowboys made in Magee indicated they thought highly of the 22-year-old, who says that at least half of the 32 NFL teams pursued him following the draft. As Magee considered his potential suitors, he decided Dallas was the right fit. A positive experience on a visit to Valley Ranch influenced his choice. Now that he is here, he is eager to make the roster. He says he is preparing to play all three linebacker spots and hopes to carve out a role for himself on special teams.

“Whatever it takes to make the team,” Magee said, “that’s what I got to do.”

Magee, who signed a pro baseball contract with the Boston Red Sox last July, could become the latest undrafted free agent to make his mark with the Cowboys, following in the footsteps of quarterback Tony Romo and Miles Austin.

“The one thing we talk about all of the time,” head coach Jason Garrett said, “is it really doesn’t matter where you came from. We’re going to try to give you an opportunity to show who you are and how you can contribute.”

Magee plans to take advantage of his chance, adding that his motivation stems from the fact he wasn’t drafted.

“I’ve got a big chip on my shoulder,” he said.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Garrett rolls with 12 personnel

thats the package fellas. two tights im pretty sure

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Broadus said Magee was disappointing next to the other LB's in camp including Holloman.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
On the other hand, as far over the cap as we will be in 2014, we'll probably have to cut Scandrick. If this guy is any good we can save some money.
What made this "The Replacements Draft" was the clear intent to replace Witten's, Austin's, Scandrick's, and Felix's contracts. Too bad Free wasn't in that list.

p1_

DCC 4Life
What made this "The Replacements Draft" was the clear intent to replace Witten's, Austin's, Scandrick's, and Felix's contracts. Too bad Free wasn't in that list.
maybe not explicitly. but should someone standout, im hopeful.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Cool to hear such good things about Webb...he looked so good in the clips I watched, just seemed to always be making plays.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Looks like we signed three guys who were invited:

OT Edwan Coughman
OG J.T. Hall
WR Anthony Amos

Cut two guys...WR Greg Herd and OT Alderious Simmons.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a position on the team where you wouldn't have called it a "Replacements draft". We have so many over paid players I'm sure you could make that statement about any position. O-line, YEP, D-line YEP. We drafted basically every other position. So pretty much regardless of what we drafted you could have said there was a clear intent to replace "Somone's" contract.

I also don't buy that Escobar is intended to replace Witten in any way what so ever. Witten is going to play here until the day he decides to retire and he is going to be the number 1 TE during that time as long as Romo is still our QB.

Top Bottom