NTSB recommends lowering blood alcohol level that constitutes drunk driving

BipolarFuk

Demoted
By Tom Costello, Correspondent, NBC News

WASHINGTON – The National Transportation Safety Board voted to recommend to states that they lower the blood-alcohol content that constitutes drunk driving.

Currently, all 50 states have set a BAC level of .08, reflecting the percentage of alcohol, by volume, in the blood. If a driver is found to have a BAC level of .08 or above, he or she is subject to arrest and prosecution.

The NTSB recommends dropping that to a BAC level of .05.

Each year, nearly 10,000 people die in alcohol-related traffic accidents and 170,000 are injured, according to the NTSB. While that’s a big improvement from the 20,000 who died in alcohol-related accidents 30 years ago, it remains a consistent threat to public safety.

Studies show that each year, roughly 4 million people admit to driving while under the influence of alcohol.

The recommendation prompted immediate criticism from restaurant trade groups.

"This recommendation is ludicrous," said Sarah Longwell, managing director of American Beverage Institute. "Moving from 0.08 to 0.05 would criminalize perfectly responsible behavior.

"Further restricting the moderate consumption of alcohol by responsible adults prior to driving does nothing to stop hardcore drunk drivers from getting behind the wheel."

The United States, Canada and Iraq are among a small handful of countries that have set the BAC level at .08. Most countries in Europe, including Russia, most of South America and Australia, have set BAC levels at .05 to constitute drunken driving.

When Australia dropped its BAC level from .08 to .05, provinces reported a 5-18 percent drop in traffic fatalities.

The NTSB reports that at .05 BAC, some drivers begin having difficulties with depth perception and other visual functions. At .07, cognitive abilities become impaired.

At .05 BAC, the risk of having an accident increases by 39 percent. At .08 BAC, the risk of having an accident increases by more than 100 percent.

The NTSB believes that if all 50 states changed their standard to .05, nearly 1,000 lives could be saved each year. It is also considering other steps to help bring down the death rates on America’s roads.

The NTSB is an investigative agency that advocates on behalf of safety issues. It has no legal authority to order any change to state or federal law. It would be up to individual states whether to accept the NTSB’s recommendation, and up to the Department of Transportation whether to endorse the recommendations.

The last move from .10 to .08 BAC levels took 21 years for each state to implement.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
At .05 BAC, the risk of having an accident increases by 39 percent. At .08 BAC, the risk of having an accident increases by more than 100 percent.
Yeah, but this is misleading.

Say the chance of having an accident sober is 1%. Increasing the risk of accident by "100%" takes it up another 1%, all the way to a stunning 2%.

And assuredly the chance of having an accident sober is far less than 1%. So this is really meaningless.

But people accept any retarded "statistics" in the name of safety these days.... no behavioral restrictions on the public is too great if it can be framed in even the most minor of increases of safety. So I'm sure we'll be seeing this implemented in no time.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Say the chance of having an accident sober is 1%. Increasing the risk of accident by "100%" takes it up another 1%, all the way to a stunning 2%.

And assuredly the chance of having an accident sober is far less than 1%. So this is really meaningless.

But people accept any retarded "statistics" in the name of safety these days.... no behavioral restrictions on the public is too great if it can be framed in even the most minor of increases of safety. So I'm sure we'll be seeing this implemented in no time.
I agree, if anything it should go back to .10 like it use to be. .05 would be a joke. You are exactly correct about the statistics. Not to mention they are just talking about accidents, the majority of which no one is even harmed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also those statistics are likely very inaccurate because there is not an accurate way to measure the amount of people who drive at a blood alcohol level of .05 but never get in an accident and never get pulled over. You are talking about a group of people that is probably be vastly underestimated.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Also those statistics are likely very inaccurate because there is not an accurate way to measure the amount of people who drive at a blood alcohol level of .05 but never get in an accident and never get pulled over. You are talking about a group of people that is probably be vastly underestimated.
Hell, a drink at lunch could get you to .05. Not that I ever drink at lunch or anything. :unsure

Cujo

DCC 4Life

Agreed. Why don't they just change it to where they smell alcohol on your breath and get it over with?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That would put every bar in the country out of business. On top of that, a .05 BAC is way less dangerous than what I do every day before getting behind the wheel: work a 13 hour shift.

D

Deuce

I'm ok with it if it reduces alcohol related fatalities in any capacity. Since they have some stats to back it up, I'm fine with seeing how it goes.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Hell, a drink at lunch could get you to .05. Not that I ever drink at lunch or anything. :unsure
Yeah, it would. The military's policy is .04 percent on duty. One drink and you are "drunk" on duty, and will be charged.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm ok with it if it reduces alcohol related fatalities in any capacity. Since they have some stats to back it up, I'm fine with seeing how it goes.
Banning alcohol would probably reduce alcohol related fatalities too.

Newt

DCC 4Life
The United States, Canada and Iraq are among a small handful of countries that have set the BAC level at .08. Most countries in Europe, including Russia, most of South America and Australia, have set BAC levels at .05 to constitute drunken driving.
Glad to see that Europe now includes Russia, South America, Australia now. Its about damn time.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The only thing this will do is raise the DUI rates.

D

Deuce

18th amendment FTW! :towel
Like I said, I wouldn't care. If someone told me today that alcohol was now illegal and I would never have a beer again as long as I live, it wouldn't ruin my day. I can live without it and knowing the roads at night would be safer would be comforting.

data

Forbes #1
COnversely, sales for tommy guns and black pinstripe suits with fedoras will go up.

Top Bottom