Bears could cut Carimi, two years after taking him in Round 1

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just don't buy the speed of the game stuff...if he was a poor fit, did not like Cutler, etc, fine, but he saw talent comparable to what he saw in the Big 10.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a good conference, just a different style. It's hardnosed, smashmouth football which is a dying breed in college. If you look at the top end speed rushers coming into the draft, it's from the SEC, Pac 12, Big 12 and the ACC (basically FSU). The only DE's that were considered elite from the Big 10 recently are busts like Gholston and Maybin.

It's also why Urban Meyer can step into the conference and dominate from the start despite not having the high end quality talent his offense is used to.
JJ Watt, Anthony Spencer, Shaun Phillips, Tamba Hali, and Ryan Kerrigan are a pretty good list of pass rushers. I would say the Big Ten doesn't have too much of a problem producing guys that know how to get to the QB. I could go over O-lineman and you would see a very talent group from the Big Ten as well. I guess you have to go to conferences like the Sun Belt to find really truely elite speed guys though...

Not sure that any of that really has to do with Carimi but I felt like saying it. I liked Carimi in the draft so obviously I wouldn't mind bringing him here. The Bears organization doesn't have a clue about O-lineman so if they turn their nose up at a guy I don't really trust their opinion for shit. J'Marcus Webb has been nothing but a total disaster playing for the Bears and yet they still are trying to force feed him as a starting NFL OT.

D

Deuce

JJ Watt, Anthony Spencer, Shaun Phillips, Tamba Hali, and Ryan Kerrigan are a pretty good list of pass rushers. I would say the Big Ten doesn't have too much of a problem producing guys that know how to get to the QB. I could go over O-lineman and you would see a very talent group from the Big Ten as well. I guess you have to go to conferences like the Sun Belt to find really truely elite speed guys though...

Not sure that any of that really has to do with Carimi but I felt like saying it. I liked Carimi in the draft so obviously I wouldn't mind bringing him here. The Bears organization doesn't have a clue about O-lineman so if they turn their nose up at a guy I don't really trust their opinion for shit. J'Marcus Webb has been nothing but a total disaster playing for the Bears and yet they still are trying to force feed him as a starting NFL OT.
Outside of Watt, I don't consider any of those guys elite. Nice players, ya, but not elite and certainly not speed edge rush guys. Maybe Phillips was once.

And no, I didn't mention the Sun Belt. Though since they have produced the premiere edge rusher in the game for the last 6 years than you can't count them out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Outside of Watt, I don't consider any of those guys elite. Nice players, ya, but not elite and certainly not speed edge rush guys. Maybe Phillips was once.

And no, I didn't mention the Sun Belt. Though since they have produced the premiere edge rusher in the game for the last 6 years than you can't count them out.
Hali has 35.5 sacks over the last 3 years. That isn't elite enough for you?

Carp

DCC 4Life
The speed of the game thing is dumb, just saying. Probably the best OT in football, Joe Thomas, comes from the same school as Carimi. If you look at the top tackles they are spread out pretty much. Guys like Clady, Staley, and Bushrod don't come from the SEC/Big 12/ACC/PAC 12...Eric Fisher came from a small school too. Using that as an excuse for Carimi just does not cut it for me.

Now having said that, I would like to bring him in and maybe whatever ties Garrett had in Wisc will help make it happen.

D

Deuce

I don't pretend to watch a ton of Chiefs games, but the ones I have seen I never see him take over like an elite player would. Maybe he's just a nice above average player in the Greg Ellis mold.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't pretend to watch a ton of Chiefs games, but the ones I have seen I never see him take over like an elite player would. Maybe he's just a nice above average player in the Greg Ellis mold.
I didn't even mention Cameron Wake who had 15 sacks last year and hails from Penn State.

Most of the pass rushers from the Big Ten worth shit seem to be from Penn State and Purdue oddly enough. The funny thing is the top SEC school don't seem to produce shit for pass rushers. LSU and Alabama for as much talent as they have can't lay claim to a single top pass rusher I can think of. On the other hand Georgia produces a good number. Kind of like Penn State does out of the Big Ten instead of top recruiting schools like Ohio State.

townsend

Banned
We had success bringing in Colombo from Chicago, although that was in an era when we still had a coach. Still I can't anticipate Carimi being any worse than Free.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
We had success bringing in Colombo from Chicago, although that was in an era when we still had a coach. Still I can't anticipate Carimi being any worse than Free.
That would be pretty great to take in a second former 1st round RT from Chicago and make it work.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol

Not sure if serious.
I'm not going to flip over desks if we don't get him, but I'm not going to complain. He'd be an acceptable project player since we did jack and shit else at OT this offseason.

Top Bottom