MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Tampa isn't giving Price away for that little package. They got a solid deal for Kazmir and 2 great deals for Shields and Garza. Price will fetch more than they did.
Do you still consider that Garza deal a great deal? Probably depends on how Archer ends up panning out, doesn't it? It was a lot for the Cubs to give up at the time but I'm not sure they are really going to regret giving up any of the players they sent over in that deal. Archer has some promise and maybe has the upside ceiling of Garza but he's always had some pretty major control issues. Way too many walks. If he can't get past that he isn't going to make it long term in the majors. Hak-Ju Lee is a nice glove with some speed in the middle infield but not at all special, IMO. If Garza stays healthy and pitches well when he comes back (should be back in under 2 weeks now) they'll be able to flip him and get a couple of decent prospects in return. May not be quite the caliber of an Archer Hak-Ju Lee combo but probably not terribly far off.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Unless they view Profar as a can't miss guy, the Rays would probably choose a package from the Cubs over the Rangers if given the choice. I know I'd much rather ship him to the NL.
If the Cubs end up trading guys like Baez and Almora for Price I'm flipping the fuck out. I really doubt they do, despite speculation. As far as I can tell that speculation is all media-driven. Theo believes in building an organization through the draft/farm system. Hard to believe he'll turn around and heavily deplete what they've been building the past couple of years for one starting pitcher, even one of Price's pedigree.

D

Deuce

Do you still consider that Garza deal a great deal? Probably depends on how Archer ends up panning out, doesn't it? It was a lot for the Cubs to give up at the time but I'm not sure they are really going to regret giving up any of the players they sent over in that deal. Archer has some promise and maybe has the upside ceiling of Garza but he's always had some pretty major control issues. Way too many walks. If he can't get past that he isn't going to make it long term in the majors. Hak-Ju Lee is a nice glove with some speed in the middle infield but not at all special, IMO. If Garza stays healthy and pitches well when he comes back (should be back in under 2 weeks now) they'll be able to flip him and get a couple of decent prospects in return. May not be quite the caliber of an Archer Hak-Ju Lee combo but probably not terribly far off.
Archer was a great fill in last year and will be called up permanently to the rotation this year once this Roberto Hernandez experiment is over. I expect he'll come up around the same time as Myers in a month or so. Hak-Ju has a lot of potential and has steadily improved. This year before his injury, he was hitting over .400. Add to them we got Fuld who's been a good rotational OF with speed to burn on the basepaths when needed. I honestly like the haul now more than I did when the trade was made...mostly because of how well Archer has performed.

As an aside, if we got Almora in a package for Price than watch the F out. Longo, Myers, Zobrist and Almora? Murderer's Row.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Looks like I am going to tomorrow's Astros-Rangers game, with q&a sessions with Baseball Prospectus staff and the Astros front office before the game. Sweet.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Looks like I am going to tomorrow's Astros-Rangers game, with q&a sessions with Baseball Prospectus staff and the Astros front office before the game. Sweet.
Nice.

We don't have to face Norris this trip : towel

Enjoy the game and we won't say anything if you want to jump ship

Rev

Staff member
Going to the tigers/rangers game next Saturday. I'm missing the Verlander/Darvish duel by 2 days. I'm praying for a couple of rain outs for both teams.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Nice.

We don't have to face Norris this trip : towel

Enjoy the game and we won't say anything if you want to jump ship
I am going to make a sign that says "Yu mad bro?" OMG I am so original lol.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm 3m
Alex Cobb, never heard of you, but that pitching line of 13 Ks in 4 2/3 is eye catching.

Dayum, that's impressive.

Rev

Staff member
That was impressive but so was Cardinals Shelby Miller. He gave up a single to the very first guy and then retired next 27 in a row. Not bad for a rookie.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Shat. He gets the W though. Hopefully, just a small blip.

Hughes
5 2/3 IP
7H
6R
2BB

D

Deuce

Alex Cobb only went 4.2 innings last night, but not cause he was rocked. His pitch count just got too high too quickly. The reason for that is cause of the 14 outs he recorded, he struck out 13.

OMGeez. I'm pretty sure Yu Darvish wears Alex Cobb pj's to bed.

D

Deuce

Apparently I'm timepwnt by Iamtdg. Oh well, it needed to be mentioned again.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Alex Cobb only went 4.2 innings last night, but not cause he was rocked. His pitch count just got too high too quickly. The reason for that is cause of the 14 outs he recorded, he struck out 13.

OMGeez. I'm pretty sure Yu Darvish wears Alex Cobb pj's to bed.
Plus, the 5 hits, two walks, HBP and two bombs he gave up. That along with the 13K's will drive up the pitch count.

Rev

Staff member
Alex had 1 night of 13 k. Yu has one every time he pitches.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

Plus, the 5 hits, two walks, HBP and two bombs he gave up. That along with the 13K's will drive up the pitch count.
Ya it was an uncharacteristic night all around. His start to the season has amazed me. He looks like a great #2 guy right now if he keeps its up. Basically a James Shields clone with that devastating changeup.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Ya it was an uncharacteristic night all around. His start to the season has amazed me. He looks like a great #2 guy right now if he keeps its up. Basically a James Shields clone with that devastating changeup.
Absolutely. He pitched great against the Yanks last month. I was impressed.

Top Bottom