Rookie Mini-Camp Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 3h
“@bigburkes72: @BryanBroaddus Or any DL that caught ur eye?” Johnson kid from Baylor

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 9h
“@reyes21: @BryanBroaddus any other WR other than Williams that impressed you?” Green was outstanding.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 9h
“@Sergio_1021: @BryanBroaddus Who impressed you the most on the first day of rookie mini camp?” Webb.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Been nice knowing you L P Ladoceur....

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Sic'em Bears!!!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kendial Lawrence says Cowboys' offense gives him best chance to show his versatility

Kendial Lawrence said he’s happy to be in Cowboys camp, not only because he’s a north Texan who pulled for the Cowboys growing up, but because it’s the best offense for him.

“I liked this situation with the running backs they’re in, and I like the Cowboys’ offense,” he said. “And just being in my hometown, it felt really good to be here.”

Lawrence, a high school standout at Rockwall-Heath who played in college at Missouri, went undrafted but signed with the Cowboys. He said he got a few calls from other teams, but believed the Cowboys’ offense gave him the best chance to make plays.

“It’s downhill plays, being able to get out of the backfield, get in the swing, get in the flats, catch the ball,” he said. “Just being able to show y our versatility with the ball. I think that’s really good with this offense.”

He said it does not relate to the offense at Missouri, which used running plays out of a spread formation.

“We pretty much had a lot of zone plays, but here, it’s more of the downhill plays – just getting the ball and straight going, not having to make all the different reads. I really like that a lot more.”

Lawrence said he’s confident in his pass-blocking, too. If he could block SEC pass rushers, after all, why shouldn’t he feel confident?

“That’s what I feel like,” he said. “Can’t wait till the opportunity comes.”

-- Carlos Mendez

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: Unheralded Guys Showing Up In Second Practice

Posted 20 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas - Here are some of my thoughts from this afternoon’s Rookie Mini Camp Practice:

•I have to be honest, before this camp, I knew very little about wide receiver Jared Green but after today, I need to try and find out a little more about him. In a practice where the offense was not at its best, he was. There were several times in the one-on-one drills against the best cornerback in this camp, B.W. Webb where he was able to run his route with outstanding pace but more importantly finish it with a nice catch. He beat Webb three different times on an “In”, “Curl” and a “Slant”, all with really good technique. It wasn’t that Webb was playing him poorly, it was Green being that good. I kept waiting for Webb to try and lean on him a little bit and even on the slant, Green was able to fight through it.
•This morning I liked what I saw from J.J. Wilcox at safety but in the afternoon he took a seat to Jakar Hamilton who didn’t start off his morning all that great but was able to rally with some nice plays. In the one-on-one drills against the running backs and tight ends, Hamilton in coverage

against Gavin Escobar was carrying him up the field and as the ball arrived was able to rip the ball from his hands for an interception as Escobar was trying to bring it to his body. Then later in the team period, Hamilton playing as a single high safety from the middle of the field was able to shoot to the sideline to play a route that Jared Green had beaten Dustin Harris badly on up the field. Hamilton was in great shape to defend the ball on the play. It was a nice day from the two young safeties.
•Defensive tackle Nick Johnson continues to catch my eye with his ability to get up the field with some power. On a running playing in team, he was able to split the block of Travis Frederick and Ronald Leary and get in on the tackle. Defensive end Jerome Long also with a quick swim move on a pass rush that put himself in good position to make a play. Defensive tackle DiMetrio Tyson also did the same thing to guard Charlie Bryant.
•Receiver Eric Rogers is not the fastest guy when he normally runs routes but for some reason, he has some sneaky ability to get up the field and make a play. Working against cornerback Adrien Spencer he took off an a “9” route and was able to work his way up the field and with the ball a little short, go up and extend for the catch. He really did a nice job of adjusting to the ball at its highest point and coming down with it. Where Rogers is going to need work is how to fight the press. He has the size but really lacks the foot quickness.
•Saw a play that made me feel like Ronald Leary was getting a better understand of what he has to do scheme wise. The defensive line tried a twist stunt up front and he was able to pass his man to Bryant and Frederick but they were tied up with other rushers, instead of letting his man go, Leary stayed with the block and was able to ride his man past the quarterback. He could have just let his guy go but he showed some awareness of the situation and do the right thing on the play.
•I thought that I would have seen more from linebacker Deon Lacey in his overall play but he did flash some nice coverage when he was beaten badly up the field by Kendial Lawrence only to rally and knock the ball away. The one trait Lacey had on film was his ability to react and despite having lost on the route initially, he had enough awareness to adjust to Lawrence which put him in position to make the play.

•Thought that receiver Terrence Williams had the type of day where he is going to look at the tape and Derek Dooley will be able to correct some mistakes that he made in his routes and techniques but also build on some positive plays where he physically beat the press against Webb and made a nice adjusting catch. As I wrote this morning, I didn’t feel like he started out all that well but got better as the practice wore on. This afternoon he didn’t play with great balance on a play and he failed to adjust to a low ball which surprised me because on college tape this would have been no problem. It was an up-and-down day but there are things that he can build on and learn from.
•Keep an eye on wide receiver Anthony Amos from Middle Tennessee who is not the biggest guy weight wise at 179 pounds but he has really nice stop-start quickness and has a feel for how to use this quickness in routes. He caught the ball away from his body and was able to get it up the field. He is the one receiver in this camp along with Green that has some zip in his game right now. I am interested if he can carry things over to the next two days.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 12m
OL is doing a nice job of staying on their blocks this morning. Hats on hats across the board.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 14m
Nice route across the field by Williams off play action. Good throw by Stephens near the sideline.
Expand

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 16m
These safeties are struggling to line up right and carry the receivers in the Zone. Wilcox and Pellerin guilty parties.
Expand

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 23m
Defensive staff has already put Webb in the slot in the nickel. That's his cup of tea.
Expand

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 25m
Run period has been all zone stretch plays. OL creating some nice seams for these backs to hit. It's been one cut and go.
Expand

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 29m
“@mcknight_bryan: @BryanBroaddus how is Leary eligible to be there but Matt J. isnt?” Johnson active more games.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 29m
“@Chaulyd: @BryanBroaddus how did Wilcox look?? Potential starter?” Not bad and right now it's Church and Johnson on the top of chart.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 30m
“@Ddarmoni406: @BryanBroaddus @ShaneN88 Follow up, should we worry or is it just day one jitters.” Needs to get in the flow.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 31m
@MssHarmon Leary has had his moments where he has been good. His biggest tests are still ahead of him. It's good to see him moving around.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 34m
“@j_viermann: @BryanBroaddus So why did they cut Corp, if the rest of these guys can't throw?” Corp is here too. He hasn't been great either
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 35m
“@R_Will_34: @BryanBroaddus @robbiemiddle is he eligible to be?” No he is not.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 36m
@toddarcher Was one of the better young guys. That's a shame. Had some pop to him at times.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 37m
“@Ddarmoni406: @BryanBroaddus @ShaneN88 More so then Terrence?” Right now, yes.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 38m
“@johntheboss22: @BryanBroaddus who's the best player you've seen so far?” Webb on day one.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 40m
Garrett just yelled at Escobar that his route was too oozy and needed more to it. He wanted him to clear for WR on the play. Too slow.
Expand

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 45m
“@ShaneN88: @BryanBroaddus how does Greg Herd look compared to the other WR out there?” Green has been the best but Herd has been okay.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 45m
“@Snell37: @BryanBroaddus who's the better back so far, Randle or Lawrence?” Lawrence because Randle hasn't practiced.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 48m
“@shawnyoung11: @BryanBroaddus how does Williams routes look?” He is working on his depth right now trying to be more consistent.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 53m
These WR are trying to run routes but its turned into a bad ball drill from these QB. Already several circus catches this morning.
Expand

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 1h
“@RJBrasilcdn: @BryanBroaddus so Price cleared waivers, and is property of Cowboys, and on IR?” They put him on IR yesterday.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 1h
“@RJBrasilcdn: @BryanBroaddus any idea if Price has cleared waivers, and if Boys would plan to bring him back, and place him on IR?” IR.
View conversation

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tim Benford sidelined by knee surgery

May, 11, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Wide receiver Tim Benford’s offseason has been cut short because of arthroscopic surgery to his left knee.

Benford, who spent last year on the practice squad after signing as an undrafted free agent, was scheduled to take part in this weekend’s rookie mini-camp, but he will not be able to return to the field until training camp begins in Oxnard, Calif.

Long snapper Charley Hughlett was also supposed to practice this weekend but was excused. Guard Charlie Bryant, who signed with the Cowboys in February after spending time with San Diego, left the team after Friday’s practice.

Wide receiver Darrin Moore, an Irving native and Texas Tech-ex, was at camp on a tryout basis but also quit.
---------------

RAIDER!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=3]J.J. Wilcox shows physical side[/h]May, 11, 2013

IRVING, Texas – J.J. Wilcox described himself as a physical safety even if he has played the position just one year at Georgia Southern. When he played running back he thought of himself as physical.

“That’s why my touchdowns were limited,” Wilcox said. “I wanted to be a bruiser, run guys over. I like being physical. There’s only one way I play it the way I was taught.”

Maybe it was no coincidence that Wilcox was involved in the biggest collision in Saturday’s morning practice. He sent running back Kendial Lawrence spinning after the two collided in what is supposed to be a non-contact practice.

“They tell you to fly around,” Wilcox said. “They know it wasn’t on purpose. I’m a rookie, second day of camp they figure, ‘Hey, he don’t know better.’ Next time (I) do it, I’ll probably get in trouble for it.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Spencer's Little Brother, Adrien Trying To Make His Own Name

Posted 1 hour ago

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – In early March, it didn’t seem like Anthony Spencer had much of a future with the Cowboys. The Pro Bowl pass-rusher was about to be a free agent before the Cowboys placed the franchise tag on him for the second straight year.

Fast forward two months and not only his Spencer still here and figures heavily into the defensive plans this year, but his little brother is trying to follow his footsteps with the Cowboys, too.

Adrien Spencer (5-11, 184) is one of the unsigned workout players trying to catch the eye of the coaching staff. The cornerback from Bowling Green has the same last name and has similar facial features, now the Cowboys are wanting to find out if he can be the same defensive playmaker as his older brother.

The younger Spencer has his work cut out of for him, especially coming off an Achilles injury he suffered in January of 2012 that wiped out his entire senior season.

The brothers live and work out together here in Dallas. Adrien said Anthony is more than just a big brother.

“He’s kind of like a father figure right now,” said Adrien. “He brought me in under his wing. He’s providing things I didn’t have before. It’s a blessing to have a brother in this situation and for him to care about me and our family.”

For now, Adrien knows there is no escaping being called “Baby Spencer” or just being referred to as Anthony’s little brother. Then again, it’s nothing he hasn’t seen or heard before.

“It was the same throughout high school because he was a good player in college,” Adrien said. “I was always in his shadow, but we played different positions so I didn’t really look at it like that. It is what it is, but I would want to make my own name.”

While the goal is to make the team, just getting on the roster will be an achievement for the tryout players. Last year, the Cowboys signed Ben Bass and Jamize Olawale to the roster for training camp as workout players. Bass is still on the squad and made it to the 53-man roster later in the year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: CB Webb Gets Work In Slot; Holloman Improving

Posted 1 hour ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

Some thoughts from the Cowboys Rookie Mini Camp practice Saturday morning:

•Defensive coaches have already begun to get cornerback B.W. Webb ready for some slot duty this Summer. One of Webb’s strength is his quickness and to play in the slot you have to have that along with the awareness of where the receiver might take you. This morning, Webb played more zone in the nickel then he did man and appeared to have no issues at all.

•Each practice a defensive linemen has shown up that has caught my attention. Yesterday it was tackle Nick Johnson, this morning it was Ike Ikponmwosa who is listed as a defensive tackle but during this camp has played mainly at end. There were several plays where he showed nice initial quickness off the snap but also playing with solid technique. There was a rush where he got his hands inside on tackle James Nelson and was able to work the corner on him. Later, he used a nice slap-swim move to get up the field, then showed some power throwing Edawn Coughman on the ground and getting in on the tackle. If he keeps making plays like this, I am going to have to learn how to pronounce his last name.

•In college when you studied linebacker DeVonte Holloman, he played mainly as a Sam linebacker at South Carolina. This morning the coaches had him line up inside and take some reps as the Mike. Out of this look, he did a nice job of carrying tight end Gavin Escobar up the field and across while staying in position the entire time. In run period, he showed some stoutness at the point in playing with his hands and getting off the block. The coverage part of his play surprised me because there were times where I didn’t ever see him drop in coverage. Just a little something the coaches were working differently this morning.

•Safety Micah Pellerin was called out by Jerome Henderson for not being in the right place during 7-on-7 but he later made up for it when during team, he was in outstanding position on a route by the tight end and was able to jump underneath it knocking the ball away. It was a nice bounce back play on his part.

•There have been times where center Travis Frederick has done a nice job with his combo and reach blocks by getting in position to complete them but where he might struggle initially is when the man lines up in the gap and charges hard up the field. This morning Jerome Long was able to get the best of him in this fashion. Frederick likes to get really close when he blocks and doesn’t often extend so when he can’t get in this type of position, he tends to struggle. It’s never easy to have to control these down linemen but in this scheme you have to find ways to push them past the play and not allow them to flatten you out or get up the field.

•I didn’t feel like cornerback Adrien Spencer really had a nice day on Friday but this morning, he was much better with his technique and positioning on routes. He was really good when he played press coverage, getting his hands on the receiver, slowing them down in route and running with them. Spencer also did a nice job in zone coverage as well. He showed the ability to turn and bail keeping the receiver on the inside of him. Played with some good mirror skills as well.

•The highlight of the morning for Terrence Williams was in team when he ran a crossing route off a stretch action working through the zone. Williams who had some trouble with the depth of his routes earlier was spot on with this one. He managed to get behind the linebackers and Jakar Hamilton. On the play, J.J. Wilcox saw the route develop and tried to rally to get there but the ball from Stephens was in good position and Williams was able to make the catch.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
David Helman ‏@HelmanDC 11m
2nd injury of camp. DJ Hall (workout player) just left the practice field on a golf cart. Was able to walk to the locker room though.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 5m
Wilcox much better driving on the ball from the middle of the field. Able to get a snatch interception. Positioning was better.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 2m
I don't believe that BJ Stewart is long for this team. Two times in a row he lined up in the wrong spot in the formation HC had enough.

Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman 1m
Terrance williams wont be winning camp MVP this weekend. .. It's early but he's struggling catching passes

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Little concerning about Williams.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A receiver with the Cowboys, Jared Green is not following in his father's footsteps

Jared Green grew up a die-hard Redskins fan. As the son of Hall of Famer Darrell Green, he didn't have a choice.

Jared Green, though, chose his own road. He insists his father is comfortable with the fact that he is with the Redskins' rival, trying to win a job with the Cowboys.

"We appreciated everything that he did, and that the organization allowed him to do," Jared Green said. "But after that, it’s just a job that dad worked for 20 years, and now, I’m a grown man, and my dad supports everything that I do. So we are all in for the Dallas Cowboys. It’s something to be proud of. Every kid in the '90s, I don’t care what anybody says, every kid saw that star and wanted to be a Dallas Cowboy. I don’t care who you are, where you’re from, you wanted to be a Dallas Cowboy. My dad allowed me to put Michael Irvin’s poster up in my room, so I had Darrell Green up on one side of my room; I had Michael Irvin up on the other side. So I’m proud to wear that star. When I was young, they had that movie, Little Giants. And the kids got that star on their helmet. I wanted that. So I’m proud to be a Dallas Cowboy."

Green's respect for Irvin was one of the reasons he ended up a receiver and not a defensive back like his father. He graduated from the University of Virgina and then played his last season at Southern, catching 17 passes for 307 yards and two touchdowns as a senior. In 46 career games, including three starts, Green caught 52 passes for 670 yards and four touchdowns.

He spent last season on Carolina's practice squad, but when the Panthers didn't give him a chance on their 53-player roster at the end of the year, he opted to leave for the Cowboys. Green was the second-most watched receiver in the team's rookie minicamp behind only third-round pick Terrance Williams.

"Jared is a good football player," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. "He’s an experienced football player. You can see that. He’s got a good feel for playing the position, and he also has some quickness and some speed that allows him to separate from corners. So he’s been working very hard in our off-season program. One of the more veteran guys involved in this. I think you can see that when they’re practicing. He’s a guy who kind of understands what to do maybe a little bit better than some of the other guys and it reflects in his performance."

He enters a crowded competition with Williams, Dwayne Harris, Cole Beasley and Danny Coale among the receivers trying to stick behind Miles Austin and Dez Bryant.

-- Charean Williams

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Day 2 Cowboys rookie camp notes

May, 11, 2013

IRVING, Texas – Saturday was the final day of the Cowboys’ rookie mini-camp that was open to the media, so we have a handful of observations from the two sessions:

** The Cowboys believe S J.J. Wilcox will be a quick learner after playing the position for one season. He showed he was a quick learner Saturday. He was late to react to a crossing route to WR Antoine Hicks but later in team drills he was able to quickly read a seam route to TE Paul Freedman for the first pick of camp. He had a chance at another interception thwarted by LB Brandon Magee on a throw to TE Taylor Cook.

** Hicks was added to the roster on Friday night and made a good first impression in his tryout. He caught three passes in one on one drills, including a diving grab across the middle. The Cowboys might want to take an extra look at him.

** TE B.J. Stewart had a rough afternoon practice and at one point was pulled from the field after lining up incorrectly. At that point Jason Garrett yelled, “Give me anybody but 48,” referencing Stewart’s uniform number.

** WR Jared Green had a chance to end the one-on-one work with a nice catch after a double move left CB B.W. Webb behind, but the receiver dropped a sure catch near the sideline. Earlier Green had his legs taken out from him as he went up for a deep ball and landed on his back.

** WR Terrance Williams had trouble catching some passes in the afternoon, which led to him staying after to catch passes off a Jugs machine. Williams best play came in the morning when he was able to take in a Nick Stephens throw after Green cleared out the secondary with a deep route.

Top Bottom