The Beer Thread

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I have a beer kit that someone gave me, is it worth upgrading to higher quality equipment before I get started?
I don't know, I never made a beer out of a kit. I started out with all grain from the very beginning because I wanted to learn how to do it old school.

Kits are how almost everyone gets started though. With a kit everything is done for you basically, you just put it all together, boil it, hop it, and ferment it.

All grain brewing is pretty much totally a different process and gives you a lot more freedom to be creative, but a lot more expensive to get started.

You can make quality beers with kits though. I would say try it and if you like the process, eventually work up to all grain.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Also, a lot of people brew with extracts... Which are basically the all-grain process done for you and put in a bag. A lot like a kit I guess. I don't know, I've never used kits or extracts really.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
My wife went to the store tonight and I asked her to pick me up a 12 pack of Fat Tire.... But because their packaging all looks the same she accidently picked up a 12 pack of their seasonal brew called "Dig."

It's a pale ale.

After I was done beating her for getting me the wrong beer, I tried it and it's not half bad.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is pretty refreshing.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'll be doing my quaterly visit to SoCal at the end of the month, a list of 6-8 recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I had some Deviant Dale's by Oskar Blues last night. Love it. A bit maltier than the average IPA and I like that about it. Steep price though. 4 tallboys cans set me back almost $15 but it was worth it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I've never bought any beers by that company because I can't see paying that much for canned beer.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Please don't talk about beer.

:lol

Seriously though there are some fine canned beers out there. The canned version of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is good. torpedo too.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Sierra Nevada's stuff doesn't cost $12 a six pack though. That company's prices are up there with the most expensive craft brews in the cooler. If I'm paying that much I'll go for something epic like Dogfish Head's 60 minute IPA (or 90), or Old Rasputin if I'm in the mood for a stout.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I've never bought any beers by that company because I can't see paying that much for canned beer.
I don't blame you. Oskar Blues only cans their beer or sells it on draught though. No bottles. I had a pint of Deviant Dale's at a local spot several months ago, loved it, and wanted to try it again. Saw it in the cooler and decided to go for it, despite the inflated price.

Top Bottom