MLB Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
An Astros pitcher, Lyles, just balked to bring in a run for Texas. The bad thing is, he went all the way through his delivery but just didn't throw the ball. It was really weird. :lol

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Joba Chamberlain disses Mariano Rivera after Yankees closer asks him to quiet down
'Don’t ever shush me again,' Chamberlain told Rivera in full view of reporters and fans.

KANSAS CITY — Apparently the Joba Rules didn’t include a chapter on class.
Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera exchanged tense words in the dugout before Saturday night’s game, as Chamberlain took exception to Rivera instructing him to quiet down while the closer chatted with reporters about an emotional event he had held earlier in the day with several local families.
“Don’t ever shush me again,” Chamberlain told Rivera in full view of reporters and fans.
Asked after the game about the exchange, Chamberlain said, “I’m not talking about it.” Chamberlain said he hadn’t spoken with Rivera since the spat. Asked whether he felt the two needed to talk, Chamberlain sniped, “That’s between me and Mo.”
Rivera was far less snippy about the situation, although he seemed surprised that Chamberlain had barked at him in such a public setting.
“It’s amazing,” Rivera said before confirming that he and Chamberlain had not spoken since. “We’ll take care of it. We’re grownups and I know better than that. We’ll take care of that.”
Before the game, while Rivera sat in the dugout speaking with reporters, Chamberlain was standing by the railing at the top of the dugout signing autographs for fans, shouting as he interacted with people in the stands.

Rivera paused during one answer and joked to reporters, “Is this guy always loud like this?”
Rivera chuckled before proceeding with his answer, but Chamberlain’s shouting continued — and may have grown even louder. Rivera seemed to lose his train of thought as Chamberlain’s voice rose, prompting the closer to call out to his younger teammate to ask him to be quiet.
“Joba! Yo! Bro!” Rivera shouted. “Shhh. Stop it.”

Chamberlain quickly replied, telling Rivera that he was talking with family.
“You do this every day,” Chamberlain said, referring to Rivera’s meeting with the media. “I don’t get to see my family every day.”
Rivera finished his five-minute session while Chamberlain continued signing autographs, though Chamberlain could be heard telling people in the stands, “I look at it every day. I have to be quiet. . . . They’re doing an interview.”
As Rivera wrapped up his interview, he began to stand up from the dugout when Chamberlain looked into the dugout.

“Don’t ever shush me again,” said Chamberlain, who started his career as a reliever before becoming a starter for the Yankees and is now in the bullpen again. The Yankees employed the so-called Joba Rules earlier in his career when they monitored his inning and pitch counts.
Rivera nodded with a bit of a smile, at which point Chamberlain — looking stone-faced without a trace of a smile — said, “Seriously. Don’t ever shush me again. I don’t get to see my family very often.”
Rivera opted not to get into an argument, telling Chamberlain, “I didn’t say not to talk to your family. That’s all right. You can talk to your family any time you want.”
Before the incident with Chamberlain, Rivera was recounting his experience during Saturday’s stop on his farewell tour. The session was an emotional one for Rivera, who sat down for 30 minutes with several families, each of which had an extraordinary story.

One family lost its 10-year-old son in an accident at an airport back in March, while another had a 14-year-old son fighting cancer while trying to pitch for his school’s baseball team. A third family built a baseball field in its backyard with the help of the Dream Factory at the request of their wheelchair-bound son, providing a place for special-needs children to play baseball. “We came up with this idea, but I’ll tell you what, it’s something that every player should experience because it’s wonderful,” Rivera said. “The things you get from it, it will change your life.”
Rivera has met with different people at each stop, taking time to salute long-time stadium and club employees and local fans and others with their extraordinary stories.
“I just wanted to say thanks,” Rivera said. “I’m learning so much from this. I’m getting so much from this. It’s amazing.”

D

Deuce

Even though I'd love to see some internal fighting with the Yankees, this is nonsense.

D

Deuce

Cubs gave Rizzo a fat 7 year, $41M extension that could get up to $73M.

Rev

Staff member
Billy Hamilton is the poor mans version of Leury Garcia.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Cubs gave Rizzo a fat 7 year, $41M extension that could get up to $73M.
I like it a lot. It's a bit risky given that he's still young and not proven over the long haul. It could end up being a real bargain though, even if it maxes out at $73M. He has over a full season's worth of numbers in MLB now and they're pretty solid considering his age/development. Looks like he could be a .270–.280 30 HR 100 RBI type of first baseman in his prime and with more talent in the lineup as the team improves.

He and Castro are both locked up now and they'll get something done with Samardzija next I think. If Baez, Almora, and Soler all pan out (or even 2 of the 3) things will be looking up in the next year or two. Still need to get some top quality arms in the system but they'll work on that in the upcoming draft. They have the #2 overall pick and are either going to take Mark Appel or Jonathan Gray, two elite pitching prospects.

It's just nice to finally see the commitment to rebuilding via home-grown talent.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Cleveland Indians created the model of paying their young guys early to save them money on the back end.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Cleveland Indians created the model of paying their young guys early to save them money on the back end.
Hard to argue with it. There will be times where teams get burned but if an organization properly evaluates their talent it's a great way to go.

D

Deuce

I like it as well. It's similar to what the Rays did with Longo though they gave it to him much sooner in the process. But it's hard to argue it isn't a bargain for them.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like it myself. Even though Niese is struggling some we signed him to a pretty good deal.

At the time though it was very progressive thinking.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
After hearing Jeff Luhnow and Kevin Goldstein speak at length about the front office's vision for the Astros, I am pretty encouraged.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Did they say anything about actually acquiring talent?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Or even just spending more money on their roster than my high school team would be a positive.

D

Deuce

If Keith Law is right, they are already off to a poor start. Not saying the Oklahoma RHP is bad because he's the consensus #2 prospect in this years draft, but passing on Appel is moronic. He can be dominant and almost right away. Plus he's a college senior. He has little negotiating power in the process.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
If Keith Law is right, they are already off to a poor start. Not saying the Oklahoma RHP is bad because he's the consensus #2 prospect in this years draft, but passing on Appel is moronic. He can be dominant and almost right away. Plus he's a college senior. He has little negotiating power in the process.
~looks at draft order and sees Cubs at #2~

I think it would be fine idea for Houston to pass on Appel. :unsure

Rev

Staff member
Or even just spending more money on their roster than my high school team would be a positive.
:lol. That owner was trying to get the Rangers. Thankfully Nolan and co. were able to beat him.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I am no scouting guru, but the consensus among the Baseball Prospectus guys in attendance is that they will be approaching 75-80 wins in 2-3 years. And I don't know how people can hate picking a guy with upside like Carlos Correa, but whatever.

The low payroll thing is such an obvious and facile criticism. Ya, let's get a couple of high-paid free agents and still suck all year.

I give it four years before the Texas baseball scene is right side up again.

Rev

Staff member
Right side up? You funny astro fans.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
:lol. That owner was trying to get the Rangers. Thankfully Nolan and co. were able to beat him.
Nolan and co. are a very good ownership group, but did they reshape the org in like 1 year? Nope. The Rangers had an exceptional farm system that was just staring to rise to the bigs. That gives a team the luxury to spend in free agency and make trades.

Top Bottom