Rookie Mini-Camp Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So much for Robbie Rouse. Cleveland offered him a contract yesterday and he took it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 1m
It's a 'good' bigger for Escobar. And he's catching everything so far but limited work so far

Cotton

Staff member
Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 34s
Travis Frederick lining up at center as anticipated

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 50s
Kendial Lawrence not disappointing with the quick moves. Not bad

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 43s
Better job by the defense after that first play. LBers did a better job of getting off blocks. Magee and Reed are very active.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 32s
Henderson has Webb playing at RCB. Have yet to see him draw Williams in coverage.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 18s
Nice job by Williams on the 4 route of positioning himself to catch the ball.

Brad Sham ‏@Boys_Vox 1m
Way too early to tell anything from rookie minicamp, but rb Kendial Lawrence seems to have a burst & good hands.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
3 or 4 different people tweeting that Callahan is calling plays.

Cotton

Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 13s
Webb drew Williams tried to take him up the field then to the outside. Webb able to spin and adjust with him. It was a good route too.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
3 or 4 different people tweeting that Callahan is calling plays.
I might step back off the ledge a bit if this is true.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett Meets With Media After Rookies’ Morning Practice

Posted 1 hour ago

David Helman DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – A few hours removed from his organization’s first organized practice of 2013, an exuberant Jason Garrett met with the Dallas media to discuss the Cowboys’ first day of rookie minicamp.

Here are some quick hits on the topics Garret touched during the press conference:
•Garrett was happy with what he saw Friday morning, but he added that the lack of veteran players made it difficult to determine much. “This was our first true football practice,” he said. “There are a lot of guys who are important parts of this football team who weren’t out there.”

•One of the main topics Friday, between coaches and players, was the difference between evaluating during the draft and seeing a player in person. “We have a certain impression of them, based on the tape we’ve seen … and now we have chance to see them with a uniform on, up-close,” he said.
•Garrett was impressed by first round pick Travis Frederick during the center’s first practice. “He’s a smart guy. He’s certainly played a lot of football in his life. He’s got a lot of command from the center position, but he’s a long way off. He, like the rest of the rookies, has a lot to learn. But he’s got command from the position. You like to see that from the center and from your quarterback. … Regardless of where they came from, those are the guys that set the tone on offense.”
•Frederick has gotten a lot of notoriety for his tenacity in the trenches. Though Garrett said it’s hard for the Wisconsin native to display that in non-padded practices. “He’s certainly a physical player – kind of an old-time offensive lineman in a positive way,” Garrett said.
•Garrett said he’s interested to see Terrance Williams in the return game, but the rookies are limited by the high amount they have to learn in a short span of time. He said the younger players might not get a look “outside their position” until later in the summer, into training camp.
•Fifth-round draft pick Joseph Randle is severely limited by a thumb injury at present. But Garrett was happy with what the Oklahoma State running back was able to do in practice. “You want to maximize the opportunity that they have. We can’t throw him the ball or hand him the ball, but we put him through some individual drills, and he was a part of meetings,” Garrett said.
•Garrett said the Cowboys intend to carry four quarterbacks through the offseason. He liked keeping just two during the 2012 season, but the staff will re-evaluate that strategy heading into 2013.
•Garrett said second-year guard Ronald Leary “flashed a little bit at us this morning.” Garrett said he played faster and with more command than a lot of the rookies, and the staff is looking forward to see him in full-team OTA’s.
•A popular topic during Jason Garrett press conferences: the coach stressed his excitement at having an opportunity to watch his full defensive personnel work out – both new draftees and players returning from injury.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: Webb, Escobar Stand Out At Rookie Camp

Posted 2 hours ago

With the first rookie minicamp practice in the books, here are some of my thoughts:

•Cornerback B.W. Webb is as smooth in person as he is on tape. He is very loose and flexible in the way he covers. He can move sideways and not lose any speed. He is a hard guy to turn and run out of position. His transitions in and out of breaks is very smooth. If he there is one thing that I did notice is that he will need to develop and feel for where the receiver is in the route. He tends to keep his eyes on the quarterback and there was a couple of times where he played like he lost that feel without the ball coming in his direction.

•Tight end Gavin Escobar had several snaps where he was on the back side of the play and will able to make a cut off block positioning himself between the defender on the ball. I didn’t observe any work on the front side but what I did see gives me hope that he just isn’t a guy that can catch the ball. Speaking of that, only saw one drop in team where he went to the flat out of the wing and just flat miss played it.

•Guard Ronald Leary was moving well and his punch was solid. There were several times in the running game where he was able to get his man secure and off the line. He was solid to adjust and work on the second level. In pass protection, he sat down and made it tough for the rusher to push him back.

•A defensive lineman that stood out this morning was tackle, Nick Johnson of Baylor. When he was on the move, he made it tough on blockers to have to handle him. There were several pass plays where he was able to fight his way up the field and get some push in the middle. His effort was really nice.

•Center Travis Frederick had a nice start in the team run period where he was able to work with Ronald Leary on a combo block and create a seam for Kendial Lawrence to get through. Need to ask but it looked like he had a bust later when linebacker Taylor Reed came through untouched. The way the play was blocked, I had the sense that was his man in the scheme. There was one play where he ended up on the ground where his balance was poor but overall, he played in good position both run and pass.

•A guy that jumped off the screen at me was offensive tackle Edawn Coughman from Fairmont State who is here as a workout player for the weekend. I was surprised how well he moved both run and pass. He should initial quickness and the ability to handle his man. He had a nice back side cut off and then on the front side showed some pop coming off the ball. I saw a player that had a nice punch and position.

•Early in the drills, Terrence Williams didn’t look as smooth running his routes and there were several plays where he didn’t put himself in a good position to receive the ball. As the practice wore on, he did a much better job of handling what was thrown at him and you could see better results. There was one time where he was matched against Webb and he was able to buy some separation by running his route with some nice sharpness even though the ball did not come his direction.

•Safety J.J. Wilcox is one of those players that on college tape was always around the ball making tackles and today was no exception. Despite the fact that the practice had no pads, you saw Wilcox where the action was. In the group work, he moved how I thought he would. I believe right now he is a much better downhill player than one that is going to drop and be really pretty in coverage. I am not saying that he can learn to do that but he is really going to have to work in that area of his game. Physically he is a large man at 219 so Jerome Henderson and Joe Baker will get him here full time and start to work on that.

•No offense to my Missouri Tigers’ friends Mickey Spagnola and Brad Sham but what the heck were you guys thinking not giving the ball to Kendial Lawrence more? Lawrence did a nice job of showing some explosiveness hitting the hole. There was a play where he was going to his right then jumped cut back to his left to get through the hole. As I saw on tape he caught the ball well and during this practice he was able to do the same.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Coaching Staff Gives First Impressions On Start Of Camp

Posted 1 hour ago

By DallasCowboys.com Report

IRVING, Texas – Evaluating football players in live action can be difficult enough. But seeing how they perform in shorts, jerseys and helmets in their first professional practice is something left up to the coaching staff.

The Cowboys opened the rookie minicamp Friday at Valley Ranch, featuring about 45 players from rookie draft picks, undrafted free agents and selected veterans who were eligible to participate.

Here’s a few quick quotes from the coaches regarding their first impressions.

Offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Bill Callahan on first round pick Travis Frederick:

“Just like we thought coming out of the draft, he’s real smart and intelligent. He can vocalize all the calls and communications and sequences. So that was a real positive note. As I watched him in all the team drills today – how he ID’s the Mike, how he finds the Mike linebacker. He makes the point, he makes all the calls, he puts everybody on the same page. So I’m impressed from that standpoint – day one, just to get out and start talking in front of all these new people and players, with all the coaches and pressure on you. I thought he did pretty good.”

Defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin on returning to the practice field for the first time in three years:

“It’s exciting to be out here again. We’ve got some work to do. But I love the attitude of these young men. They’re here to work and they did a good job. We’ve got something to work with.”

Defensive backs coach Jerome Henderson on third-round pick J.J. Wilcox having one year of experience at safety:

“You see the athleticism. For a big guy, he can really run. He has really good ball skills, and that probably comes from playing with the ball in his hands a lot those other three years in college. You see he’s a physical man, that he likes the physical part of the game. A lot of times when you see offensive guys make the jump, it takes them a little while to figure that part out. That came natural for him. When you watch him play, you’re like, ‘Oh God, he’s going to kill somebody,’ and that’s what I like about the young man.”

Henderson on much far Wilcox has to improve:

“Light years. You have that, coupled with the fact that the league he played in, jumping to this league…one year at the job. Just the adjustment that all rookies have, he’s got a lot to adjust to.”

Tight ends coach Wes Phillips on seeing second-rounder Gavin Escobar for the first time:

“He had some good things that stood out, but there’s a lot of things we need to clean up. Obviously I’m very encouraged by the things I know he can do, and some of those things he showed out there. He can catch the ball well. That’s the one thing you notice about him.”

Henderson on being comfortable with safety position:

“Absolutely. We’ve got a really good group. It’s going to be a really competitive camp, I think, with the guys we got back there. I think the exciting thing is there’s an opportunity for somebody to emerge. One of those guys I know is going to go grab that spot and make it his, and again, which guy that is at this point is anybody’s guess. That’s the exciting part about it. The thing I do like, again, is we’ve got some quality guys back there competing. Adding Wilcox to the mix makes it exciting.”

Callahan on the quick turnaround of practices Friday:

“It’s fun for a lot of these guys that come from good college programs. They understand the tempos that you want. They’ve really done an excellent job of banding together, learning all this terminology in one day and then trying to produce some type od execution within 24 hours. So my hat goes off to all these guys.”

Henderson on his early thoughts about fourth-round corner B.W. Webb:

“He’s so competitive. You see that on tape. He won’t back down from anybody. He’s got great ball skills and great knack for being around the ball and playing the ball and going to get the ball. Then when you meet the young man, you see his poise, his confidence, the way he carries himself, and you think this kid’s got a shot. He’s from a smaller school, but you get the sense from him that, ‘This isn’t too big for me. I belong here.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 15m
Aaron corp is back. Just jogged on the field to by tryout qb at minicamp.

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 14m
Back to back reps for Terrance Williams vs BW Webb. Webb won the first one. Williams won the second

Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 14m
Terrance Williams just beat BW Webb for a TD in one on ones

Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 14m
Getting the draftees out here working 1 on 1s. Webb breaks up a pass, then Williams gets by him deep. Corners at a disadvantage on this.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 13m
Escobar with a sweet out and up against Pellerin that broke him down. Ball was high and able to tip to himself.

Jaker Hamilton just ripped the ball away from Escobar who was bringing it to his body. Turnovers already happening.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 4m
Really nice job by Rogers on the vertical 9 getting up the field and going to get the ball at the highest point. Used his body well

First high shot gun snap from Frederick killed the play.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez 51m
Frederick: Leadership is ‘a process.’ First, be somebody ‘they can trust, they believe in in the weight room, they believe in on the field.’

Frederick said he took only a few reps at guard in some individuals. Rest of the time was at center. 'I really studied hard to play center.'

Frederick says his and Callahan’s Wisconsin backgrounds will help. ‘He kind of led into the system of the offensive line there.'

Frederick still has his beard. Joked about it: ‘Yeah, babies usually cry when they see me. ... And the women, obviously, run away.’

Callahan on Jerry’s thinking that Frederick’s size buys ‘extra half-a-second’ for Romo: ‘There’s some validity to that statement.’

Terrance Williams joked he's going to get some rest between plays as a pro. Not used to that at Baylor.

Tom Orsborn ‏@tom_orsborn 45m
Quote of Cowboys minicamp: C Travis Frederick saying, he looks forward to "legally beating someone up" on the football field.

Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 17m
On Wilcox: "When you watch him play, you’re like, ‘Oh God, he’s going to kill somebody,’ and that’s what I like about the young man.”

David Moore ‏@DavidMooreDMN 9m
More Frederick: "It would be pretty illegal just to beat you up, but on the field I get a chance to do that."

Cotton

Staff member
Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman 53m
Cowboys adding 4 workout guys for Saturday: TCU WR Antione Hicks, Baylor RB Jarred Salubi, OU RB Dominique Whaley and Rice TE Taylor Cook

Lotuseater

Banned
God I'm ready for football. Im so sick of watching pussy baseball and basketball and golf......

Cotton

Staff member
Day 1 Cowboys' rookie camp notes
May, 11, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – With Day 2 of Cowboys’ rookie mini-camp set to begin, let’s look back with some observations from Day 1:

** Much was made of the slow 40-yard dash time of first-round pick Travis Frederick, but he moved well in the two practices Friday. He showed some good timing on leaving his initial block to get to the second level.

**Graceful isn’t normally the best description for a football player, but that’s what Jerry Jones called Gavin Escobar’s ability to run routes. Escobar did not time fast either, but he just seems to have a knack for getting open. New tight ends coach Wes Phillips also mentioned Escobar’s catch radius as a plus. Escobar made a nice catch after a pass was tipped by LB DeVonte Holloman.

**RB Kendial Lawrence will have a chance to make the roster. Hyperbole after a day of rookie camp? Maybe but he has a burst and a vision that could put him in the mix with Lance Dunbar and Phillip Tanner for the final running back spot. On the first play of team run he darted through the line and made a sharp jump-cut away from defenders.

** WR Jared Green will get some notice because he’s Darrell Green’s son, but he had a productive first day and his speed could make him a factor as camp goes on.

** CB B.W. Webb did a nice job of fending off WR Terrance Williams in one-on-one drills. Webb is pretty fluid in his movement and is thicker than he looks on film. Matched up the next play, Williams was able to get some separation for a deep throw from Nick Stephens by slowing down just a tad and extending late for the pass. It was a veteran move by the third-round pick and his best play of the day.

** Because the playcaller has been a big topic this offseason: it appeared that offensive coordinator Bill Callahan was calling them Friday with the quarterbacks going to him between plays, not Jason Garrett.

** S Jakar Hamilton did not make the best impression when he was apparently gassed about 30 minutes into the the first practice, but he came back with a nice play in the afternoon, covering a lot of ground on a Stephens’ deep ball to Green. He should have made the interception, but his speed was impressive in getting to the sideline from centerfield.

** Not to be an alarmist but shotgun snaps were an issue. D.J. Hall was replaced after sending one high and wide and was replaced by Frederick, whose snap was rolled back to the quarterback. There were a few quarterback-center exchange issues but none from under center with Frederick.

Cotton

Staff member
Ronald Leary, with a year's experience under him, catches Garrett's eye at minicamp

Ronald Leary is the most experienced offensive lineman, in the Cowboys’ system at least, at rookie minicamp.

Jason Garrett said it showed.

“He actually flashed a little bit at us this morning,” Garrett said Friday after the first practice of the weekend. “He has an unfair advantage, like some of the veteran guys who have been around. He knows the system. He’s been with us for a year. The play calls are very natural to him. He understands fronts and all of that stuff. So he’s going to play faster.”

At this time last year, Leary was in the same position as many of the other players in the three-day camp. He was an undrafted rookie, signing with the Cowboys out of Memphis. He went undrafted largely because of a knee condition that may shorten his career.

He spent last season on the practice squad before being activated for the season finale in Washington.

He said Friday he has come a long way since this time a year ago.

“I learned a lot from Coach Callahan, learned a lot from a lot of players on the team about just being a professional, that this is your job,” he said. “I think I’ve grown as a person.”

Garrett agreed and said Leary will have a chance this summer.

“Ron made a lot of progress over the course of the year last year, did a good job working in scout team,” Garrett said. “We saw the improvement as the year wore on. So it’ll be a nice opportunity for him once we get into the OTAs and regular training camp to see what he can do.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys like stocking rookie minicamp with local talent, which is 'off the charts,' Garrett says

The Cowboys have 11 players from Texas, not counting draft pick Terrance Williams of Dallas, working at rookie minicamp.

That is a compliment to the level of talent in the state, coach Jason Garrett said.

“Think about where we live,” he said, asked Friday as the camp began about how the Cowboys consider bringing in local players either as free-agent signees or tryout players. “I’d argue that football is played in the state of Texas at all levels better than any state in the country. So there’s a lot of really, really good football players that come out of Texas. There are some amazingly good football players who come from the Dallas area.”

Last year, one of those players went from tryout player to practice squad player to active squad player. Texas A&M defensive end Ben Bass was invited to the camp, like many tryout players, to fill out the roster so there would be enough practice bodies. It helped that he was from Plano and could drive in.

But he was impressive enough in the rookie camp to be signed for OTAs.

“The local talent in this specific area is off the charts,” Garrett said. “You think about the junior high programs that feed into the high school programs and the local college programs, there are some great players from around here. So we feel like, hey, we know these guys, we get a chance to see them, let’s tap into them. We’ve had some success with them in the past.”

The Cowboys signed five undrafted rookies from Texas for the camp: Wisconsin cornerback Dustin Harris of Livingston, Missouri running back Kendial Lawrence of Rockwall, SMU linebacker Taylor Reed of Beaumont, Wisconsin cornerback Devin Smith of Coppell and Akron quarterback Dalton Williams of Coppell.

They brought in five players from Texas on a tryout basis: Houston linebacker Everett Daniels of Sachse, Texas State guard D.J. Hall of Palestine, Baylor defensive tackle Nick Johnson of Waco, Texas Tech receiver Darrin Moore of Irving and Texas Tech deep snapper Jesse Smitherman of Burleson.

-- Carlos Mendez

Top Bottom