Romo To Spend Manning-Type Time On Game Planning

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm not refuting that fact. In case you're not paying attention, Clay said the only thing Garrett knows how to do is let Romo play sandlot ball. That statement is incorrect.

The facts are, we've been highly ranked in yardage for years now with the exception of 2012.

That doesn't happen with sandlot football.

Whatever complaints you have about Garrett... try to keep them based in reality. If there is one thing the guy has shown he can do it's get the offense to move the ball between the 20s at a high level on a year-in, year-out basis.

And you have pretty much nothing to dispute that.

So when you say "Well the only thing he can do is let Tony Romo take over and play sandlot football" that's just a dumb thing to say.

If you are trying to refute something Clay said, respond to him.

You said the facts don't support what I said. That's untrue.

Genghis Khan

Our game plans were horrible. We didn't start putting up great numbers on offense until we basically tossed the game plan and let Romo be Romo. Maybe those game plans would work with the 49ers O-line, but good coaches have to make adjustments based on the talent of their team. I saw zero adjustment out of Garrett last year. Reminds me a little of Iowa and the way Ferentz sticks to his plan regardless of what actually works during games.

Exactly correct.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you are trying to refute something Clay said, respond to him.

You said the facts don't support what I said. That's untrue.
Well then I'm glad we agree that Garrett, with the exception of 2012 with one of the worst OLs in football that was definitely affecting his game plans, has consistently been able to put together game plans that rack up yards in the top 10 of the league.

Genghis Khan

Well then I'm glad we agree that Garrett, with the exception of 2012 with one of the worst OLs in football that was definitely affecting his game plans, has consistently been able to put together game plans that rack up yards in the top 10 of the league.

Man, you are reaching. You know full well I said nothing like that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Man, you are reaching. You know full well I said nothing like that.
Well I'm confused. You either agree with me that Garrett has proven he can run an offense that racks up yards, or you don't (and are therefore wrong).

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's cool how he deserves all of the credit for everything the offense has done well, and absolutely none of the blame for when it does poorly.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's cool how he deserves all of the credit for everything the offense has done well, and absolutely none of the blame for when it does poorly.
I have said many times he deserves blame for some things the offense does poorly. Having a poor running game, however, is largely personnel related.

It's cool how you keep saying that I don't blame Garrett for anything when I clearly have said that I agree with you on some of the things. It's dumbass statements like "Garrett was only running good yardage offenses because Romo sandlotted" that force me to object.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What's even more cool is how Garrett is the shiznit for getting offenses with numbers, but Wade Phillips was poo-pooed for having statistically prolific defenses in terms of sacks. Interesting Schmitty double standard at work.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What's even more cool is how Garrett is the shiznit for getting offenses with numbers, but Wade Phillips was poo-pooed for having statistically prolific defenses in terms of sacks. Interesting Schmitty double standard at work.
Never had a problem with Phillips the coordinator. My issue was Phillips the head coach who inevitably brought the team to it's knees like I always knew he would.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Never had a problem with Phillips the coordinator. My issue was Phillips the head coach who inevitably brought the team to it's knees like I always knew he would.
Kinda like Garrett is as the HC?

~cues 45 page thread~

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Wade didn't make the team practice. Garrett does. So right there that's a big difference.

I'm sure some of my absolute contempt for Wade as HC bled over into the evaluation as a coordinator. But I am quite sure I was never railing on him for bad defensive schemes, outside the "why do we play our corners off" or other generic criticisms.

Because that'd be moronic. Wade has a track record as a good coordinator. But then I am actually capable of realizing HC failures versus scheme failures. Wade was a HC failure.

Garrett so far has been a personnel failure.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Anyways... indisputable that Garrett has run an offense that put up nearly elite yardage numbers from 2007-2011. 2012 also had good numbers but was so inefficient I won't claim that it was great in that respect.

Doesn't happen if you are playing sandlot ball. As Bob pointed out, when we went sandlot this year, that was one of the biggest reasons we were so inefficient.

So clearly... sandlot play was not responsible for the more efficient years past.

Glad everyone can agree on that since it's basically irrefutable.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I have said many times he deserves blame for some things the offense does poorly. Having a poor running game, however, is largely personnel related.

It's cool how you keep saying that I don't blame Garrett for anything when I clearly have said that I agree with you on some of the things. It's dumbass statements like "Garrett was only running good yardage offenses because Romo sandlotted" that force me to object.
That's what I see when I watch the games, there are a bunch of calisthenics at the line, the ball is snapped as the play clock hits zero, the play breaks down even if Romo has time and he runs out and slings it. It happens a lot and a lot of this team's yards come from Romo being Mini-Favre and gunslinging. It was particularly glaring last year when the offense couldn't score in the first half of games but became productive again as soon as Garrett threw out his terrible game plans and leaned on Romo to improvise his way out of the mess the unprepared coaching staff put the team in.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's what I see when I watch the games, there are a bunch of calisthenics at the line, the ball is snapped as the play clock hits zero
Well the running down the playclock wasn't even as pronounced in the past as it was this season. So I suspect you are not remembering say, 2007-2010 as well.

It happens a lot and a lot of this team's yards come from Romo being Mini-Favre and gunslinging. It was particularly glaring last year when the offense couldn't score in the first half of games but became productive again as soon as Garrett threw out his terrible game plans and leaned on Romo to improvise his way out of the mess the unprepared coaching staff put the team in.
This year was definitely the only year where we abandoned the game plans like that. It was not like that in previous years any more than most other teams. Other years we didn't have the same scoring-early problems like we had this year so there would have been no reason to abandon the gameplans.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tony Romo's involvement a mutual agreement

May, 10, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Much was made of Jerry Jones’ comment after the draft regarding the desire to have Tony Romo spend “Peyton Manning time,” at the Cowboys' practice facility.

It turns out the desire was not only Jones’ idea after giving the quarterback a six-year contract worth $119.5 million this offseason, but also the quarterback’s.

“How can we take who you are, the great experience at your age, how can we take this experience and maximize it to win football games?” Jones said.

“What can we do to make that an asset? He has an excellent understanding, an excellent grasp of offensive concepts, an excellent grasp of what he and Jason have been involved in the last seven years ... I’ve been told by many people who’ve worked closer with him than I do that they’ve never heard him have a bad idea, but as we all know you don’t just walk in and have a few good ideas and that be part of the game plan. You’ve got to have prepared, looked at a lot of film, watch your opponents and do that a lot. That takes more time to do and he’s going to be doing that. Certainly he wanted that to be a part of everybody’s understanding and I wanted it to be a part of his and everybody’s understanding. And Jason (Garrett) did, too.”

Jones said he wasn’t being critical of Romo’s work ethic when he made the Manning comparison. Jones said the combination of Romo’s ability and experience makes it more reasonable to expect the day-to-day involvement.

“I want to use everything that he’s got in his computer,” Jones said. “The way to do that is have him involved in a lot of the design and the preparation as we not only prepare the team in general but as we paper for the opponents. He’s qualified to do that.”

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Well the running down the playclock wasn't even as pronounced in the past as it was this season. So I suspect you are not remembering say, 2007-2010 as well.

This year was definitely the only year where we abandoned the game plans like that. It was not like that in previous years any more than most other teams. Other years we didn't have the same scoring-early problems like we had this year so there would have been no reason to abandon the gameplans.
So the guy who was hired to learn on the job is getting worse at game planning rather than better, great. That gives me all kinds of reason to want him to stay here.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So the guy who was hired to learn on the job is getting worse at game planning rather than better, great. That gives me all kinds of reason to want him to stay here.
I think he was dealing with a new set of circumstances that he did not adjust to, yes, I'll give you that.

Then again lots of average coaches wouldn't be able to gameplan around not having a competent NFL offensive line.

Garrett isn't an elite coach to be able to coach them over that hump. If we could find one... sign me up.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think he was dealing with a new set of circumstances that he did not adjust to, yes, I'll give you that.

Then again lots of average coaches wouldn't be able to gameplan around not having a competent NFL offensive line.

Garrett isn't an elite coach to be able to coach them over that hump. If we could find one... sign me up.
Doesn't take a Red Headed Genius to do what has been working in the second half of games all game long instead of waiting until the second half to roll it out. Continuing to try to do it his way, despite the personnel issues preventing his scheme from working the way he wanted to was stupid, stubborn, and arrogant.

Any number of coaches could have gone to the spread full time when it was clear the running game wasn't going to get it done.

Genghis Khan

When you throw around words like "clearly" and "indisputable" that certainly makes your argument.

Top Bottom