Romo To Spend Manning-Type Time On Game Planning

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 50s
Biggest misconception about Tony Romo's new level of involvement _ that Jerry mandated it. Reality is that Romo insisted upon having it

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Biggest misconception about Tony Romo's new level of involvement _ that Jerry mandated it. Reality is that Romo insisted upon having it

:lol

And now we know why Jerry opened his stupid mouth. He was trying to get out in front of it.

If Romo was insisting on it, that means (a) he feels like he can do a better job being involved than the offensive coaches can do without him, and (b) by having to put it in his contract, it means the team was holding him back from being involved. Both things make the Cowboys and their coaches look bad.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

And now we know why Jerry opened his stupid mouth. He was trying to get out in front of it.

If Romo was insisting on it, that means (a) he feels like he can do a better job being involved than the offensive coaches can do without him, and (b) by having to put it in his contract, it means the team was holding him back from being involved. Both things make the Cowboys and their coaches look bad.
Sounds like he wants more input into the offense and he's willing to wear part of the offensive coordinator hat to get what he needs.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

I agree. We all saw last year how stagnant the offense looked until Romo had to go into sandlot mode. Sandlot mode provided better results than Garrett's game plan, but the problem is sandlot mode only gets you so far.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

It's like everyone is reading the football tabloids and then wringing their hands trying to interpret what everyone really means.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Feh.

My question is why now?

Frankly, I don't care whose idea it was as long as it doesn't damage Romo's credibility with his teammates and gets him to quit making the silly mistakes in crunch time.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Cool...so Garrett can be the walk around Head Coach now.

Romo is the QB/OC.

Jerry Jones does it again!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. We all saw last year how stagnant the offense looked until Romo had to go into sandlot mode. Sandlot mode provided better results than Garrett's game plan, but the problem is sandlot mode only gets you so far.
Or you can embrace sandlot mode and run no huddles and spread teams out with multiple WRs. You just reminded me of how much I hate the offense Garrett starts games out with until we fall behind. The multiple TE, run the play clock to one second, and expect Romo to complete a pass to the only WR running a pattern.

Genghis Khan

Or you can embrace sandlot mode and run no huddles and spread teams out with multiple WRs. You just reminded me of how much I hate the offense Garrett starts games out with until we fall behind. The multiple TE, run the play clock to one second, and expect Romo to complete a pass to the only WR running a pattern.

:budd

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Apparently, Werder is saying that Romo has wanted to be more involved in the game planning and will be coming in on his day off to help with the next weeks plan. Werder is also saying he is hearing that Romo wants to run more no-huddle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently, Werder is saying that Romo has wanted to be more involved in the game planning and will be coming in on his day off to help with the next weeks plan. Werder is also saying he is hearing that Romo wants to run more no-huddle.
:beavis

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not to side with Garrett, but he has been saddled with a very inconsistent running game which he has tried to get going at times only to watch it fail miserably.

Hard to think of many coaches who could get this offense to perform consistently. Payton in New Orleans has two top-notch guards, an elite QB, and a deep running back corps to complement his wide-open passing game.

Dallas has the worst starting guard tandem in football (which shockingly enough was an upgrade from 2011), only one RB worth a damn and who's hurt half the time at that, and a very good QB who lacks elite arm strength and WR's to stretch the field and hence get the defense to back the fuck off.

Garrett's not a magician. No successful NFL offense ever does it with mirrors.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Not to side with Garrett, but he has been saddled with a very inconsistent running game which he has tried to get going at times only to watch it fail miserably.

Hard to think of many coaches who could get this offense to perform consistently. Payton in New Orleans has two top-notch guards, an elite QB, and a deep running back corps to complement his wide-open passing game.

Dallas has the worst starting guard tandem in football (which shockingly enough was an upgrade from 2011), only one RB worth a damn and who's hurt half the time at that, and a very good QB who lacks elite arm strength and WR's to stretch the field and hence get the defense to back the fuck off.

Green Bay has not had a consistent running game since Ahman Green nor did Arizona or Pittsburgh when they went to the Superbowl.

It can and has been done.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

GASP

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
How many things would have to be done for Garrett for him to be successful? It must be great to have, as a ready made excuse for not doing your job, the fact that people aren't doing your job for you.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Having a decent OL is hardly having someone else do your job for you.

And as we all know, most of the offense's problems go away if we have that.

Genghis Khan

Having a decent offensive line makes your job easier.

Having a bad offensive line, when you have a top ten QB, a HOF TE, a solid RB, and a top 5 WR duo, does not make your job impossible.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Having a decent OL is hardly having someone else do your job for you.

And as we all know, most of the offense's problems go away if we have that.
If you don't know what you want, you can't complain if they don't give it to you. If I was coaching, I know I would identify linemen and lobby to get them. I'd be quicker to identify talent evaluation as the problem if we seemed to have some vision for what kind of lineman we want but we go for heavy or light linemen seemingly at random and there doesn't seem to be any end to that in sight.

Just last year we signed one of each at guard, showing that we have no idea what we want on the OL, and Jason and his brother Judd (director of pro scouting) signed off on it.

Top Bottom