Boozeman: Stock up, Stock down - Lenoir, Scarbrough enter market for Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stock up, Stock down: Lenoir, Scarbrough enter market for Cowboys
By: C.C. Boorman | 1 hour ago

With the preseason opener in the books, it’s time to take an updated look at which players are trending up, and who’s stock took a hit. Position battles are already brewing, and these games are crucial towards their chances of making the roster.

STOCK UP

LB Joe Thomas

While his signing in free agency went under the radar, Thomas was an impact player in the contest. He recorded five total tackles, including one for loss, and even registered an interception. Thomas figures to be provide excellent depth should any injuries occur, and serves as another quality option within the linebacker unit.

WR Michael Gallup

All throughout camp, Gallup has delivered in practice and showed why he was considered a third-round steal his first time under the lights. On his lone reception, 49ers DB Jimmie Ward lost coverage on Gallup at the line, and tried to push him to the boundary with a stab move. Gallup then showed his strength, held his position, and had a slick hand-shove to get separation after the ball was released, finally cruising in for the touchdown on his first professional reception.

LB Jaylon Smith

Smith’s stock rose simply because he showed rumors of his return to pre-knee injury form were not exaggerated. He showed excellent range and fluidity, flashing deep coverage ability and looks to be rounding his game back to the level it was at pre-injury. He even showed some pass-rush juice, hinting at parts of his game that have yet to be fully unlocked.

RB Bo Scarbrough

Not to be outperformed by Rod Smith, Scarbrough rumbled for 33 yards on nine carries, and also chalked up a couple of receptions. He scored on a goal-line touchdown as well. His ability to manufacture yards with relatively weak blocking was impressive.

The player may not carry Bob Lilly’s number into the regular season, but he has resembled the Cowboy legend at times with strong play in camp. He continued that in this exhibition and appears to be pulling away from the rest of the second-tier DE crowd.

S Kavon Frazier
Frazier had a scare earlier in camp when he was being diagnosed for a blood disorder, but one could not tell he missed any time. He showed up to play, recording a tipped pass that led to an interception and made his usual hay on special teams, showing great downfield pursuit on a punt return tackle.

WR Lance Lenoir

Lenoir has spent the offseason making catch after difficult catch in training camp practices, and then brought it with him to the opening preseason affair. He only had two catches for three yards on four targets, but the above touchdown shows exactly why there are high hopes he could be a developmental prospect with high upside.

STOCK DOWN

OT Chaz Green

To say Green needs to win back the trust of not only the team, but confidence in himself is an understatement. He got off to a bad start on that journey in this game with several poor reps. A particularly awful one occurred where he was turned inside-out by 49ers rookie Julian Taylor, and was then called for a holding penalty as he tried to recover. Already firmly behind free-agent acquisition Cameron Fleming for the swing tackle position, Green’s roster spot will be in question.

CB Anthony Brown

Brown was earning rave reviews from his camp performances, but he was not up to the challenge in coverage versus San Francisco. Brown was caught out of position several times, showed poor ball awareness, and also was flagged for a defensive hold on 49er rookie WR Richie James. If Brown is going to be the starting slot corner, he will need to handle players like James, or else teams will be coming after him week after week.

LB Leighton Vander Esch

Vander Esch did not exactly perform poorly, but his uneven performance may be a signal that it will take some time before he sees the lineup as a base starter. He generally looked tentative against the run, and seemed a step slow to scrape-and-fill. His pass coverage was similarly a mixed bag, as he was beaten by Cole Hikutini, but nearly made a diving interception.

OG Marcus Martin

Overall, Martin was not very impressive, looking dumpy and in poor condition. His night ended after he exited with a right big toe injury. If he was not on the roster bubble before, he definitely is now under the circumstances.

TE Rico Gathers

Gathers played sparingly and when he did, he was practically invisible, an indication of how far he is down the depth chart. He tallied only one reception against the bottom of the 49ers defensive roster.

CB Duke Thomas

Although he did record an easy interception off a tipped pass, the rest of his effort was mediocre, and did little to push him ahead in the contending field for the fifth corner spot. He was burned for a big play by Aldrick Robinson where if it wasn’t underthrown, would’ve been a touchdown.

CB Donovan Olumba

Olumba had been an ascending player in camp, but came crashing down to earth after a relatively pedestrian performance. He was victimized by San Francisco QB Nick Mullins repeatedly in the two-minute drill, and committed a back-breaking pass interference call that served to spring the 49ers to the win. Closer examination might merit giving him the benefit of competitive coverage, but drawing flags never helps a long shot make an NFL roster.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Olumba just plain sucked. I had hopes for him and Ward.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I will not share until you change Duke Thomas. :art

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I have to disagree about Lenoir. He looked like a marginal player at best to me.

p1_

DCC 4Life
You didnt like that TD catch?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have to disagree about Lenoir. He looked like a marginal player at best to me.
The TD catch was pretty impressive alone. I have a feeling that he will get a lot of targets in the finale. He has put in some serious work to try to make the team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I will not share until you change Duke Thomas. :art
I will not.

They were using him in some unique ways early with the 1st and 2nd team D, almost in a Kam Chancellor box role on a couple of plays. Then later on, he got worse as the game progressed and he was doing simpler things.

He just didn't step up when the situation presented itself.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Is the link right?

Also...

RB Bo Scarbrough

Not to be outperformed by Rod Smith, Scarbrough rumbled for 33 yards on nine carries, and also chalked up a couple of receptions. He scored on a goal-line touchdown as well. His ability to manufacture yards with relatively weak blocking was impressive.

BO (SCARBROUGH) KNOWS. #DALvsSF pic.twitter.com/TKIXqTHbmE
— NFL (@NFL) August 10, 2018

The player may not carry Bob Lilly’s number into the regular season, but he has resembled the Cowboy legend at times with strong play in camp. He continued that in this exhibition and appears to be pulling away from the rest of the second-tier DE crowd.

S Kavon Frazier
Frazier had a scare earlier in camp when he was being diagnosed for a blood disorder, but one could not tell he missed any time. He showed up to play, recording a tipped pass that led to an interception and made his usual hay on special teams, showing great downfield pursuit on a punt return tackle.
is something missing?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I still can't access the article on Cowboyswire site, even clicking the link on their main page leads to page not found

p1_

DCC 4Life
The TD catch was pretty impressive alone. I have a feeling that he will get a lot of targets in the finale. He has put in some serious work to try to make the team.
And making the most of his opportunity.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I still can't access the article on Cowboyswire site, even clicking the link on their main page leads to page not found
This is from KD after I sent him a DM letting him know the the article was having issues displaying.

____

Thanks for the heads up, it's acting funny for some reason

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is from KD after I sent him a DM letting him know the the article was having issues displaying.

____

Thanks for the heads up, it's acting funny for some reason
Yeah, he and I have been going on back and forth with it for a while. I thought I fucked it up, but he's sure it is an internet gnome.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah, he and I have been going on back and forth with it for a while. I thought I fucked it up, but he's sure it is an internet gnome.
We know the truth.....:tippytoe

Top Bottom