2017 Coaching Hirings/Firings

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Houston is the perfect spot for Romo, no clue whether or not Jerry would have an issue with sending him to an in-state team or if the Texans would be willing to pay him presumably 15-20 a year with that Osweiler contract.
Really would be a good fit. Plus the Texans have some legit weapons on offense for him to utilize. I think he could put up big numbers there if he can stay healthy. I wouldn't worry too much about it being a Texas team either. My preference is that Romo goes to the AFC where he is sort of less of an enemy to our team. Meaning we aren't likely to see him in the playoffs and we aren't competing with his team for a playoff spot. But ultimately I'm selling him to the highest bidder. And if two bids are essentially the same that would be my tie breaker.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rams hire Sean McVay.
I actually think this is a great hire. A great young offensive mind. Someone that I think will work really well with Goff to develop him. I think he turned that Redskins offense into one of the most dangerous in the NFL with a pretty average NFL QB in my opinion. He should do well with the Rams offense. They have a lot of work to do from a talent standpoint but it's a good hire.

On the flip side, the Redskins lose a really good offensive mind.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I actually think this is a great hire. A great young offensive mind. Someone that I think will work really well with Goff to develop him. I think he turned that Redskins offense into one of the most dangerous in the NFL with a pretty average NFL QB in my opinion. He should do well with the Rams offense. They have a lot of work to do from a talent standpoint but it's a good hire.

On the flip side, the Redskins lose a really good offensive mind.
McVay is considered one of the NFL's best young minds. I can't say I disagree. Washington's offense had some of the best pass route concepts in the league and I know that was not Gruden.

But asking a 30 year old to become a head coach and decide how to run a team is a totally different story.

He is supposedly bringing Wade Phillips with him, that will help, maybe. Struggling to see how Wade can make that D a 3-4.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Anthony Lynn to the LA Chargers.

Expected to take Gus Bradley as DC.

So the slurs lose Fat Wade to the Rams (hopefully), Bradley to the Chargers, meaning they are having to get their third choice DC and replace their OC.

:art

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wade Phillips to the Rams as DC.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Anthony Lynn to the LA Chargers.

Expected to take Gus Bradley as DC.

So the slurs lose Fat Wade to the Rams (hopefully), Bradley to the Chargers, meaning they are having to get their third choice DC and replace their OC.

:art
It's gonna be real nice when they hire Mike Pettine at DC.

At the end of the day it comes down to talent but Pettine is a clear step down from Phillips and even Bradley.

As far as Phillips running a 3-4 with the Rams, I think that will be very difficult. Kind of reminds me of Rex Ryan going to Buffalo, they were a great 4-3 defense the year before under Schwartz I believe, Ryan goes in, tries to kind of meld the schemes and soon enough the players all start bitching and their pass-rush looks much worse.

For as great as Aaron Donald is, he's not really fit to play in a 3-4 at 6-1, 290. I'm sure he'll look decent enough as Phillips will tweak the scheme to accommodate him but at the end of the day he just isn't a fit. Mark Barron is a very questionable fit as well. I think the Rams would've been better off going with Bradley since it will take them a while to turnover the personnel, and when you turn over a defense that was very good in another scheme you're kind of asking for problems when you struggle unless you're a HC with a whole hell of alot of goodwill built up, which a 31 year old doesn't.

On the bright side, perhaps Donald becomes available as a free agent in 2-3 years and we break the bank on him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If the Rams don't think Donald can play the nose, I would gladly give them our first and more for him. Just sayin'.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If the Rams don't think Donald can play the nose, I would gladly give them our first and more for him. Just sayin'.
They'll play him at DE and there is no way they trade him, it'd be a PR nightmare. He's basically their only marketable player aside from Gurley and they wouldn't want to saddle the new HC/DC with being the guy who ran their best player out of town.

No, they'll attempt to make a square fit in a round hole and play him at DE next year, he'll probably do fine, but not be as good as before or an ideal fit, so they'll exercise the 5th year option, he'll still be decent in 2018 but everybody will realize that he can make more than he is worth to the Rams somewhere else due to being a questionable fit.

So in 2019 he'll be probably the biggest FA on the market and maybe we'll be in a position to snag him with Prescott still having a year left on his rookie deal before we give him a mega-contract.

I'd definitely give up our first for him though.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'd give up our 1st for him as well, but I don't see it happening. I think Donald and Brockers will be moved to DE, Quinn will be asked to stand up and play OLB, and they'll look to draft a NT.

Cotton

Staff member

Please please please hire him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Inner circle....

:picard

Cotton

Staff member
I looked at your post then at my post then back to your post.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I glazed over this and assumed they were talking about Rex Ryan at least. Jesus, how is Rob Ryan still getting defensive coordinator interviews. That dude is a mess. I've never seen a defense look so confused as we did under him.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I glazed over this and assumed they were talking about Rex Ryan at least. Jesus, how is Rob Ryan still getting defensive coordinator interviews. That dude is a mess. I've never seen a defense look so confused as we did under him.
He always seems to do well the first year but after that its downhill.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They are interviewing Jason Tarver as well. Guess their first criteria is suck.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't get it.

Yours said that sources said the will interview. I posted a tweet that said it had now taken place.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't get it.

Yours said that sources said the will interview. I posted a tweet that said it had now taken place.
Oh, the semantics is strong in this one.

GShock

DCC 4Life
He would be a hideous match with Gruden's style.

Worse than with Garrett.

Top Bottom