2016 Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

This guy deserves a ton of credit. A 6th round rookie playing this well is pretty rare. His selection and play is huge, and could possibly save us from needing to look for CB high in the next few drafts.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Why carry 2 QB at that cap number and not reap the rewards of being able to use that money to upgrade the team in other areas.

Why would you allocate that much money to a backup position?

And there is no way Romo is playing the good soldier all next year as a backup, why add that distraction to the locker room?
You going to find a better back up QB than Romo?

I also want to see Dak do it for more than one season, before moving on.

Distraction is a weak out in my mind. If that causes a distraction then they are weak mentally

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Distraction is a weak out in my mind. If that causes a distraction then they are weak mentally
Seems like a massive missed opportunity. You have the chance to improve the entire team with the extra cap space and draft picks that other teams do not have. But instead you're settling for trying to have a situation similar to every other NFL team. You're basically picking a backup over 2 or 3 excellent starting players at positions other then QB.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

As much as I want to agree with you in keeping Romo the smarter thing to do is to get rid of that contract. Use it other places and improve the team. Its Daks team now for better or worse.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Key word backup.

You don't spend that kind of money on backup especially when Dak has no history of injuries.

So you think Romo is just going to sit around amicably in case it does not work out with Dak?

2233boys

Not So New Member
My essential point is that both QB's Cap hit is not much greater than the cap hit for one player on 9 different teams.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

This guy deserves a ton of credit. A 6th round rookie playing this well is pretty rare. His selection and play is huge, and could possibly save us from needing to look for CB high in the next few drafts.
Anyone watching the Cowboys week in and week out this season could see that Brown had been playing well all year but I did not know that he was that comparable to Apple. I have heard a lot of praise heaped on Apple lately, and deservedly so, but given those numbers Brown should be getting a lot more attention. Hell of a season from what looks to be a late round steal. Impressive.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

This comparison is interesting, but wonder why it leaves out catches allowed, YPC/YAC allowed, opposing passer rating, and TD's allowed? Those are kind of key stats for CBs. I also like PFF's yards per snap where the DB is in coverage and coverage snaps per reception.

I know at midseason, Brown was at the bottom of most rankings.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
As much as I want to agree with you in keeping Romo the smarter thing to do is to get rid of that contract. Use it other places and improve the team. Its Daks team now for better or worse.
I thought the cap relief is minimal, if you only save 3 mill in cap space (money you can spend) and are not getting any interesting offers (high 2nd or better) why bother?
Have 2 excellent QB's for next season and wait for a good offer (see Vikings) or try again next year...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Apple has been better than Brown but I'll take Brown's production out of a 6th round pick before I'd take Apple's with the 10th overall.

townsend

Banned
My essential point is that both QB's Cap hit is not much greater than the cap hit for one player on 9 different teams.
I think that it's feasible to hold onto Romo, for the reasons you said,but I don't think it's the best decision.

The Patriots modeled the best way to deal with a pro bowl quality vet. Trade him, and get mad draft picks to build your future with, our entire team's window used to be limited by Romo's career length, now that we have a whole new window, we should be thinking of investments that keep us viable years after Romo's retired, and build up our young core of talented athletes.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think that it's feasible to hold onto Romo, for the reasons you said,but I don't think it's the best decision.

The Patriots modeled the best way to deal with a pro bowl quality vet. Trade him, and get mad draft picks to build your future with, our entire team's window used to be limited by Romo's career length, now that we have a whole new window, we should be thinking of investments that keep us viable years after Romo's retired, and build up our young core of talented athletes.
If the question is trading Romo for, let's say a 3rd, or keeping him, the answer is obvious to anybody with two eyes, but what about releasing him?

Would you rather release him or keep him for a year as the best backup in the league?

It sure seems like Jerry is going to release him, let's just hope Stephen/McClay/Garrett/who the f ever steps in and doesn't allow it.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I thought the cap relief is minimal, if you only save 3 mill in cap space (money you can spend) and are not getting any interesting offers (high 2nd or better) why bother?
Have 2 excellent QB's for next season and wait for a good offer (see Vikings) or try again next year...
And you think Romo is going to wait around patiently for that?

And the real savings is the following year once he is moved that frees up 10 million plus moving forward.

I don't understand how anybody thinks its feasible to keep Romo around as a backup, especially after what he said in that press conference.

townsend

Banned
If the question is trading Romo for, let's say a 3rd, or keeping him, the answer is obvious to anybody with two eyes, but what about releasing him?

Would you rather release him or keep him for a year as the best backup in the league?

It sure seems like Jerry is going to release him, let's just hope Stephen/McClay/Garrett/who the f ever steps in and doesn't allow it.
I can't imagine releasing him in this market. I'd hold onto him until someone was ready to trade. Romo's a commodity worth holding onto. After seeing what Minnesota paid for Sam fucking Bradford, there's at least a 2nd or better we could get from one of several teams that are just a good QB away from playoff contention.

That isn't even accounting for injuries that might derail a competitive team (like Minnesota and Dallas had this year.)

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I can't imagine releasing him in this market. I'd hold onto him until someone was ready to trade. Romo's a commodity worth holding onto. After seeing what Minnesota paid for Sam fucking Bradford, there's at least a 2nd or better we could get from one of several teams that are just a good QB away from playoff contention.

That isn't even accounting for injuries that might derail a competitive team (like Minnesota and Dallas had this year.)
I'd do the same but I get the distinct feeling that Jerry is going to just release him rather than prolong his exit, if it came down to it.

It'll either be a release or some nominal draft pick I'm fairly certain.

Jiggyfly

Banned

You are leaving out the financial aspects of releasing him.

There is a also a gain in going that route, at least 5 million in cap space.

And if its between going through all the drama surrounding a training camp with Romo and Dak or just releasing, I would release him and take the space.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Key word backup.

You don't spend that kind of money on backup especially when Dak has no history of injuries.

So you think Romo is just going to sit around amicably in case it does not work out with Dak?
Agree. The dye is cast in the organization. To keep Romo around would cause continual distractions by the media and possibly in the clubhouse. It's best for everyone that Romo leaves although a very sad circumstance.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Agree. The dye is cast in the organization. To keep Romo around would cause continual distractions by the media and possibly in the clubhouse. It's best for everyone that Romo leaves although a very sad circumstance.
Yep.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You are leaving out the financial aspects of releasing him.

There is a also a gain in going that route, at least 5 million in cap space.

And if its between going through all the drama surrounding a training camp with Romo and Dak or just releasing, I would release him and take the space.
Financial aspects that could also be worked out in a trade to an extent.

There is also the question of what to do at backup QB if we let Romo go. Sanchez obviously can't be trusted to play and who knows what the deal with Moore is.

Someone will come calling for Romo eventually, it's just a matter of whether or not Jerry is willing to trade Romo to a team Tony may not necessarily want to go to because of his emotional attachment to him. I'd send Romo to any damn team if the price was right but I'm sure Jerry views it differently.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
And you think Romo is going to wait around patiently for that?

And the real savings is the following year once he is moved that frees up 10 million plus moving forward.

I don't understand how anybody thinks its feasible to keep Romo around as a backup, especially after what he said in that press conference.
It's not his call.

But you get basically the same savings if you release him "the following year" IIRC.

Would I rather trade Romo? Yes, but not for peanuts. If I don't get a deal I like this year I keep him and trade him next year for whatever and get my cap savings.
But releasing him this offseason is plain stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom