The Home Improvement Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So essentially, someone else could control your thermostat.

I won't be having that shit in my home.

No internet-connected refrigerator, no smart device that controls my home's appliances.

Fuck every bit of that.

Those things aren't so time-consuming that I have to free up my schedule in such a manner to so heavily rely on technology to do it for me.
If they can figure out my login I suppose they could. But, I wish them luck in that little venture.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The one I got is pretty cool. Full-on scheduling abilities. Ability to adjust it remotely from an app on your phone. I like it. Not sure how much the Nest is, but this one I got for like 50 bucks on a black Friday deal.
Well you got a steal then. The new Honeywell one I was looking at is in the 220 range. The Nest is 250. But it has sensors that track what times of the day you are home or away and it uses all that information to tailor the home to your needs. Obviously connects to the wifi so that it can gather information about weather patterns that way. Some pretty crazy high tech smart home stuff. I think they both can connect and work with most smart home devices like an Echo as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So essentially, someone else could control your thermostat.

I won't be having that shit in my home.

No internet-connected refrigerator, no smart device that controls my home's appliances.

Fuck every bit of that.

Those things aren't so time-consuming that I have to free up my schedule in such a manner to so heavily rely on technology to do it for me.
I thought you were about to drop a terminator reference. It's not lazy as much as it can be extra energy efficient. It can also alert you to problems, like if your home isn't heating or cooling properly. I must say though, I'm a sucker for this hi tech stuff. I'vw been thinking about getting the refrigerator with a camera inside that connects to the internet. The problem is I have a pretty new refrigerator already that is very nice. Seems like a waste.

data

Forbes #1
I just bought and installed the Ring Pro. Motion-activated doorbell camera with ability to do live look-ins and two way speaker. Motion alerts and doorbell rings go straight to my phone and I can view live video feed and have conversation from wherever.

Took 30 minutes to install.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If they can figure out my login I suppose they could. But, I wish them luck in that little venture.
Haha, silly guy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I just bought and installed the Ring Pro. Motion-activated doorbell camera with ability to do live look-ins and two way speaker. Motion alerts and doorbell rings go straight to my phone and I can view live video feed and have conversation from wherever.

Took 30 minutes to install.
I have one of those also.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I thought you were about to drop a terminator reference. It's not lazy as much as it can be extra energy efficient. It can also alert you to problems, like if your home isn't heating or cooling properly. I must say though, I'm a sucker for this hi tech stuff. I'vw been thinking about getting the refrigerator with a camera inside that connects to the internet. The problem is I have a pretty new refrigerator already that is very nice. Seems like a waste.

Well yeah, eventually we're going to be so heavily reliant on smart devices that we're not gonna be good for shit.

And if it's network enabled, it can always be controlled by someone else.

Let's not get so lazy that we can't look in our own damn refrigerators before going grocery shopping.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Well yeah, eventually we're going to be so heavily reliant on smart devices that we're not gonna be good for shit.

Let's not get so lazy that we can't look in our own damn refrigerators before going grocery shopping.
They have a new refrigerator that does have an app for that....

data

Forbes #1

Naysayers said the same things about garage door openers, cordless telephone and the TV remote control. GET OUT OF YOUR BUNKER, OLD MAN!!!!!!!!!

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Naysayers said the same things about garage door openers, cordless telephone and the TV remote control. GET OUT OF YOUR BUNKER, OLD MAN!!!!!!!!!

Things to come for sure.

Plugging your devices into the Internet could leave you at someone else's mercy.

I'll stay in my bunker and not rely on teh cloud to handle my menial chores.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Our house was built in 1920, but some dick added on to it back in the early 80s and did the work himself. This includes our backdoor and den, master bath and closet, and laundry room.

Before I can tear it all out, though, I've got to put in a new bathroom in the hallway since the master is the only bathroom on the first floor. Also have to relocate the water heater and laundry, but that's a battle for another day.

Right now trying to figure out how to fit in a shower tub, toilet, and sink into a 70" x 83" space.

I know we can make it work, but I might need some pro tips from those who've made it work.

Looking at you, 2233.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Things to come for sure.

Plugging your devices into the Internet could leave you at someone else's mercy.

I'll stay in my bunker and not rely on teh cloud to handle my menial chores.

data

Forbes #1
Our house was built in 1920, but some dick added on to it back in the early 80s and did the work himself. This includes our backdoor and den, master bath and closet, and laundry room.

Before I can tear it all out, though, I've got to put in a new bathroom in the hallway since the master is the only bathroom on the first floor. Also have to relocate the water heater and laundry, but that's a battle for another day.

Right now trying to figure out how to fit in a shower tub, toilet, and sink into a 70" x 83" space.

I know we can make it work, but I might need some pro tips from those who've made it work.

Looking at you, 2233.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This video is strictly the reason why I am considering purchasing one of those devices.

Top Bottom